RIP Bob Saget

I’m not in the best place to look it up now, but there’s a YouTube video out there of the pilot both with the original actor and Bob Saget playing the same scenes as Danny Tanner. Bob does a much more better job in terms of bringing humanity and relatability to the character, where the original actor played it in more of a typical sitcom dad manner.

I don’t remember this show. I am pretty sure they played up this part of his persona on Entourage, though. Are you remembering correctly?

He was indeed in one episode of Huff.

That part I got, I was just surprised I couldn’t find a clip of the episode. However, I did find a few posts on the board that mentioned it.

Definitely sad because his standup was pretty solid and he seemed to be unusually well-liked by a broad spectrum of the comedy world.

I have to hope though, that his spending decades on hacky, lowest-common-denominator network slush was (in his mind, at least) getting away with something and not just an endless paycheck gig. Because those shows are just so painfully saccharine and awful. (not including How I Met Your Mother in that, I hasten to add)

I’ve seen a lot of celebrity reactions by people who knew him, and the word that keeps coming up is “kind.” He was apparently a genuinely good guy.

Saget’s last performance was ~1 mile from my house. Had I known he was booked there, I’d have gone. Bob was an entertaining fellow, and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. RIP.

Almost every message about him includes references to how nice he was. It’s great to hear about someone.

Bob’s wife, Kelly Rizzo is 23 years younger than him. Married in 2018.

Could anybody else do it at all?

Not quite the same, but the TV show Sanford and Son was clean, family entertainment, but Redd Foxx’s nightclub act was quite blue. Funny guy!

Long ago, when the kids were babies, I’d stay up all night watching TV. Sometimes I’d stay up late enough to catch the Straight Dope show. But I’d always at least see Evening at the Improv. One night, a guy was on doing a routine about how bands should tour together based on their names, like Bread and Meatloaf, or Madonna and Supertramp. I thought it was so clever I stayed up until the wee hours to record the second showing. And I just now made the connection as to who that guy was. :pensive: wish I could find a link.

Absolutely.

I’ve never seen a single episode of either “Full House” or the home videos show, but at one point I happened to see his 2007 stand-up special (made by HBO, I believe) “That Ain’t Right,” and instantly became a fan. Since then I’ve watched anything in which Bob was playing himself—doing other stand-up and roasts and such.

Such sad news. You can tell from the obvious sincerity of the celebrity tributes that he was genuinely loved.

Bob recently recovered from covid.

I wonder if it contributed to heart problems?

I’m just looking for answers. It’ll be interesting to see what’s in the coroner report.

…was it Mark Pitta?

My dad had an old Redd Foxx LP. I’d call it raunchy at the worst. Saget could get downright filthy.

Not knocking him, just saying Foxx wasn’t in the same league.

You weren’t listening to the right Redd Fox LP unless it was in a plain brown wrapper and kept behind the counter at the record store.

Buddy Hackett? Played childlike characters in the movies, but was known for adult themed nightclub gigs.

Bob Saget and Norm McDonald were good friends and I listened to this entire (37 mins!) long tribute to Norm by Bob not even 4 months ago. It’s really from a podcast but video here are some nice photos in the montage.

I also came across this photo and tweet from Tim Allen:
“Miss the ones who have moved to a higher venue.”

To which Jon Lovitz replies, “Whatsamatter, Tim, you don’t miss me?”

Seriously, though, the number of belly laughs the guys in that picture have given me…