RIP Jimmy Buffett

Saw him once, super fun concert. I know public images are often a far cry from reality, but he certainly seemed like a dude who lived exactly the life he wanted. And in the process, brought a lot of joy to a lot of people.

Come Monday is my favorite Buffett tune. Margaritaville is just a gem, a perfect pop masterpiece. Such good songwriting.

What always fascinated me was how Margaritaville became such a brand for partying, when the song is really about dissipation, despair and wasted life (or at least a wasted season), told in Buffett’s understated manner.

I treasure my all too brief conversation with Jimmy before a concert in Southern California years ago. A true gentleman.

RIP, Mr. Buffett. There’s a shaker of salt waiting…

Oh I never got to see him in person, but I sure enjoyed his music. Come Monday is a most beautiful song.

Fair Winds Jimmy.

I got to see him in concert a few times. He always put on a great show. Sail on Jimmy. I hope there’s a nice cheeseburger waiting for you.

I will have a cheeseburger with lettuce & tomato later today. With Heinz 57 and french fried potato. and a cold draft beer

RIP Jimmy you were one of my favorites.

Do millenials even know how hazardous a pop top used to be?

I second his song “Come Monday” one of the few songs I can still sing in the shower. As I age my range goes down precipitously Fair winds Jimmy

I enjoyed his music, though I wasn’t a Parrothead – but a friend of my wife’s was; the friend was, for a while, the head of the Chicago-area Parrothead club, and we went to several parties and outings with them. The Parrotheads always had a great time, were welcoming of newcomers and casual Buffett fans like me, and did a lot of stuff to raise money for charity, as well.

Buffett had a vibe, and a niche, and not only was it very good to him financially, but he clearly enjoyed it, and from everything I’ve ever seen and read, he had a great relationship with his fans.

Sail on, Jimmy.

One of my faves, too. There is a melancholy aspect for me evoked by the first two lines …

Headin’ out to San Francisco
For the Labor Day weekend show

Because I happened to be listening to it one Labor Day weekend while furiously packing for an upcoming move. I hate moving with a passion. I hate new places, and I hate giving up old places. All I could think of was all those happy carefree people planning their Labor Day picnics and barbecues, while I sat there in a mess of boxes and scattered possessions with a moving deadline rapidly approaching, and Jimmy gently intoned about his own troubles that Labor Day weekend.

I’m not a parrot head, but when I wear tropical clothes I do wear a parrot accessory with them because of him.

His beautiful music brought happiness and that is a good life purpose.

I forgot to mention, this being a long Labor Day weekend I was just out at the liquor store stocking up, and in addition to my usual stuff, in honour of Jimmy I picked up some tequila and margarita mix. Actually, partly in honour of Jimmy and partly because the upcoming late-summer heat wave is going to require some margarita-fueled porch-sitting.

Wholeheartedly agree!

A look at iTunes shows the most played Buffett song on my list is “Coastal Confessions.” A couple of verses seem apropos:

So bless me father, yes I have sinned.
Given the chance I’ll probably do it again
I don’t need absolution
Just a simple solution will do.

So let’s talk about the future
Or the consequences of my past
I’ve got scars, I’ve got lines
I’m not hard to define
Just an altar boy coverin’ his ass.

I know I can’t run and hide
But just hang on for the ride
There will be laughter and tears
As we progress through the years
But still it’s fun
Hey I’m not done
Gonna dance 'til I fall

31 posts and no Dead Parrot jokes. Where is the real Dope and what did you do with it?

That made me thing that a pull tab in a clear, classic salt shaker would make a nice little memorial. When I checked on ebay, both ‘pop top’ and ‘pull tab’ brought up page after page of the newfangled lever bits. So maybe not.

Sorry to see you go Jimmy. I knew somebody that had serious beef with you, but he was clearly delusional and nobody cared. If you were worried about him at all you can stop now. It’s 5 o’clock somewhere right now so I’m gonna drink a margherita and remind some people that you didn’t write the Pina Colada song.

Eventually we will learn that whatever it was that landed him in the hospital is what eventually killed him.

I just realized that I’ve been a Parrothead for 50 years.

I was never part of the party hearty Parrot Head crowd. But I love his music and lyrics, especially some of the quieter stuff. (Plus he loved sailboats and seaplanes, my kinda guy.) To my amazement, I’m getting a little misty writing this. Not my usual response to celebrity deaths. Rest in Peace, Jimmy Buffett.

Skin cancer. :sleepy:

“Come Monday”, mentioned a upthread a few times, was Buffet’s first Top 40 hit song. Interestingly, it is a sensitive ballad, different from most of his later songs. In fact, if this had been his only popular recording, I would have described him as a “James Taylor wannabe”.

For my favorite Buffet tune, I’ll choose “Fins”, which explores both the advantages and disadvantages of being “the only bait in town”.

I attended the University of South Alabama in Jimmy’s home town, Mobile, back in the mid-to-late 70’s when his musical career was taking off. At that time, he was still playing gigs at smallish colleges (including USA), and would often drop in and do an impromptu jam session at some of the local bars whenever he was in town. It was just about impossible to not be a Jimmy Buffet fan in Mobile at that time, which predated the term “Parrot Head”. His music was a big part of my early adult life, and I will miss him dearly. But his music lives on and is, always has been, and forever will be a critical piece of my life’s playlist. RIP you old pirate!

My best friend in high school’s brother lived next door to Jimmy in Key West. We were proto-Parrotheads from the days when the Coral Reefer Band was just Jimmy and “Fingers” Taylor.