RIP Louie Anderson

I’m now starting Season 4 of Search Party and while it’s quirky and dark, there are funny scenes sprinkled throughout it. I recommend watching Season 2 and if you still don’t enjoy it you can give up on it.

As popular as Search Party is, I don’t know anybody who has even heard of it, let alone watched it, besides met. Somebody must be watching it or it wouldn’t have lasted this long. Kudos to HBO for sticking with it, and the producers for casting Louie in this role.

I’ve just been watching several of his standup performances on YouTube. He really was a gifted comedian. This HBO special is a good example. The video is poor quality but the content is excellent. I haven’t been closely following him but I remember seeing him on TV when he was just getting started, and he was pretty funny then, and just got better with time. He’s really good at facial expressions and that’s part of his comedic charm.

LOVED him as Mom Baskets! I was so thrilled at the end when she left her two hapless 40-something baby birds and went off to Denver with her Carpet King. All she wanted was a family, and with the quartet of losers she was stuck with, well, she deserved to go live with a new family. … Louie was very funny on a game show called ‘Funny You Should Ask’. All his answers were quips centered on his weight, and food, but then all of the other players had their own shtick (horny woman, stoner, perve).

Louie was a truly funny comedian and this news saddened me. I’ve always enjoyed his comedy bits though never saw him perform. Comedy radio has been playing lots of Louie. Surprisingly, he is often funnier off the cuff, doing interviews on Bennington. He is not a joke writing comedian, but must have been hilarious to know in real life.

Fat humour wears thin, and Louie stopped doing that long ago. Gaffigan and Pinette took up the mantle, I guess. Louie spent years trying to get on the Tonight Show, was told he was not good enough, was only booked after offered a spot on Letterman, then was booked on Carson six times in nine months because the audiences loved him.

I listen to a lot of shows and podcasts with comics speaking off the cuff and doing a lot of inside baseball talk. Those three were universally loved and respected within the comedy scene. Which is rare considering the personalities involved. I’ve heard for years how kind and helpful Louie was to new comics and always willing to give his time to those who needed it.

Ronnie B, the best interviewer in the business.