RIP Mr.Rogers......

Mr. Rogers was my friend when I first came to the US in 1960 and didn’t have any friends because of my heavy German accent. I have recorded many of his shows and will reminisce about those days and how I couldn’t wait to see him on Public television.

I lived in the Neighborhood of Make Believe.

I watch him now on re-runs with my grandson.

Auf Wiedersehen, mein Freund.

Quasimodem

:frowning: indeed.

I watched a lot of Mr Rogers Neighborhood growing up. Even I knew it was a little corny, but somehow you watched anyway. It was something about that soothing voice, the reassuring routine, and the nice dash of whimsey.

FairyChatMom - had the exact same experience. I remember how stupid I KNEW Mr. Rogers was when I was a teen.
But as I had kids, it was so clearly far above just about all other kids’ programming.
What a sweet man.

He was close to unwatchable for me as a parent, but his message was kindness and my kid liked him. He was a good influence on a couple of generations. Poor guy. He’ll be missed.

What can you say about Mr. Rogers that hasn’s been said. We’ll all miss him.

This reminds me of when Charles Kurault died a year or 2 after retiring from Sunday Morning. Too sad.

More thoughts, from someone who’s been up way too long:

A lot of people are surprised to hear that Mr. Rogers was an ordained Presbyterian minister. I don’t recall that he ever talked about religion or the Bible or anything like that on his show. He certainly didn’t wear it on his sleeve.

Still, no one that I can think of in my lifetime has done more for the cause of the second greatest commandment, to love thy neighbor as thyself, as Mr. Rogers. He did thirty years’ worth of shows on exactly that theme. He taught about kindness, compassion, patience, and respect by becoming a living example, and his name is synonymous with those qualities to anyone in this country of sufficient age.

There’s a lesson there, I think.

How sad that we have lost a wonderful role model for our children. I agree with all the previous posters and really can’t add anything more.

I heard this upon awakening, and my first thought was What title should this have on the Straight Dope?

Well, it should be
Heaven has a new neighbor.
Many people say “oh, he’s playing guitar in Heaven now” when some rocker dies, but thats just wishful thinking.
I’m sure Fred is up there right now.

I just wanted to add that I always felt uncomfortable when comedians such as Robin Williams satirized his accent and made him into something he wasn’t.

As has been stated, he was an ordained Presbyterian minister whose mission was children. I thank God for him.

Q

Oh, no.

I remember wathching him when I was a child.

PBS…right between Sesame Street and The Electric Company.

I can’t type anymore.

My friend wrote a very moving tribute that he let me put on my page.

http://www.legomancer.net

Here’s an old Salon.com article about him.

Sad day. :frowning:

Dear Mr. Rogers,

I hope it’s a lovely day in your neighborhood.

Your friend/fan, NoClueBoy

I cried when I heard the news this morning and I cried again reading Dave’s tribute on Legomancer’s webpage. Thanks for sharing that with us. sniff

So long, friend and neighbor. Rest in peace.

Zev Steinhardt

Sad, sad day. First Mr. Dressup (our Canadian equivalent) and now Mr. Rogers. It’s the end of an era. I remember seeing Mr. Dressup give a 3 hour chat at a university pub a few years ago and he had great stories about how he and Mr. Rogers broke into the business together and why they both loved it so much. Two great humanitarians gone. :frowning:

:frowning: This thread made me cry all over again.

What a great loss. I hate that my kids won’t be able to grow up watching him (except in reruns).
It really is the end of an era.

(Somewhere near Heaven)
St. Peter: Fred Rogers, I presume?

Mr. Rogers: Correct as usual, St. Peter.

He’ll be the only angel in Heaven with a sweater for a robe.

:frowning:

Dave’s tribute moved me to tears - something that hasn’t happened in quite a long while. I remember watching Mister Rogers in my early teens - on the sly - just because he was so radically different (and so soothing to a troubled teenage mind) from everything else on TV. It didn’t prevent me from telling him to change those goddamn curtains every time the show started, however. :smiley:

The world needs more people like Fred Rogers. He will most definitely be missed.