Roast in hell, Swell Season suicide jumper!

The thing about “Slowley Falling” is that it sounds *exactly *like an acoustic cover of an Aerosmith song. I’m serious. Listen to it again, and imagine it being sung in Steven Tyler’s voice.

This is a better way to go than the jerks who jump in front of a train during rush hour and inconveniencing everyone (I’m looking at you, Anna K.).

This article claims the jumper had other stuff going on.

Man who jumped to death at Mountain Winery was facing domestic violence charges

Wait, Glen Hansard has a new band? Does that mean The Frames are over? Nobody tells me anything these days! (And while that song’s OK, it’s no Finally…)

Of course it would be to YOU. But I bet you’re not an omniscient scriptwriting prodigy/pot-smoking precision driver/female-age prognosticator who’s never, EVER too tired or stressed for sex, either.

And here I was thinking “How the fuck do you manage to think that a mere 20 foot fall would be a reliable way to commit suicide? Unless you dove head-first you’d most likely only manage to sprain your ankle.”

I do think being high would contribute to making you think jumping down 20 feet was no big deal while at the same time making you a lot less able to land well, but even then I’d think the odds of survival are strongly in your favor.

Nah, but having to listen to that song not once but a gajillion times in Once is enough to drive anyone starkers.

We’ll know if Hansard starts walking about with a very strong umbrella.

I can see people being upset by this, but traumatised? I think that word is being misused. I doubt people will be suffering severe and lasting mental injury from seeing a complete stranger die in what appears to be a completely non-gory fashion.

Yeah, but I bet it put a dent in the t-shirt sales.

The guy was probably just pissed that Marketa Irglova has turned out to be The Frames’s very own Yoko Ono. She’s ruined everything!

(The above comment is somewhat tongue in cheek, but I think The Frames were far better as they were before. Irglova is lovely but I wish she’d go and do her own thing. They’re not the same anymore. Sniffle.)

Not as big as the dent it put in the stage.

As well as the stage.

ETA Curses, silenus!

Surprisingly enough, your odds of dying in an 11 foot fall are 50%, so a 20 foot fall has an even greater chance of being lethal. Fall protection on the job is required at 10 feet (3 meters) in Alberta. OSHA in the US requires tie-off at six feet. (My source is my safety officer husband sitting beside me.)

Hansard does have a song called “Headlong” too…

I’ll get me coat.

Dude–he’s a troll pretending to be a sociopath. Best not to engage him. He’s just looking for responses.

I’m a real pussy about heights. And also pretty bad at judging them, but wouldn’t 20 feet be about window height on the third story of a building (with 8 ft ceilings)? I can definitely see assuming a second story jump would be survivable, but third story?

Wow, 50% death rate from an 11 foot fall?? I feel a lot better about my fear of heights now.

(Yes, I missed the fact that there was a second page to this thread.)

Perhaps part of the “sensation” here is the venue itself. For those not familiar with the area The Mountain Winery (formally Paul Mason Winery) is one of the most beautiful venues to see a concert. It’s relatively small, a bit up in the Santa Cruz mountains, in the (very rich) city of Saratoga. The crowd is going to be mostly middle aged, wealthier white folks from Silicon Valley.

It’s a great spot, and if you’re ever in this area, think about going to a concert there if you can get tickets. But bring warm clothes-- it can be really cold at night, even in the summer.

Yup. Aside from the obvious causes of death (snapping your neck, brains all over the sidewalk), you can also die from hitting the ground hard enough to have your internal organs dislocated and bleeding out internally later without realizing how serious your fall was.