Robot partners and sidekicks

Trying to come up with a comprehensive list from movies, novels, TV, comics, video games, etc. Especially robots normally associated with being partners, teammates and sidekicks of humans. For example:

R2D2 and C-3PO, from Star Wars. (movies)

R. Daneel Olivaw (Isaac Asimov’s Robot novels)

animated Fantastic Four’s Herbie (TV)

Gyro Gearloose’s (Little) Helper (Disney’s Carl Barks comics)

This would tend to DISQUALIFY Buzz Lightyear’s arch-enemy, Emperor Zurg, the Terminator robots and Voltron, etc. Unless you know something I don’t know.

There was the robot from the TV series Lost in Space…he was Dr Smith and Will Robinson’s sidekick.

How about Rosie, the maid from the Jetsons? Do cartoons count?

Data (Star Trek)
Kryten (Red Dwarf)
Marvin (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)
V.I.N.C.E.N.T. & B.O.B. (The Black Hole)

Bender from the late and lamented “Futurama.”

Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo from MST3K.

Twikie, Dr. Theopolis, and Kryton from “Buck Rogers in the 25th Century”

K.I.T.T from “Knight Rider”
(okay, so he was a robot shaped like a Trans Am… does that disqualify him?)

The Robot from "Forbidden Planet"

(The one everybody calls “Robbie”)

There was a robot agent who occasionally appeared on “Get Smart”… I think his name was Hugo, or Hugh, or something like that.

Robby The Robot is my all time fave robot.
The robot agent in the TV series Get Smart was Hymie
There was Johnny 5 from Short Circuit
Robin Williams played a robot called Andrew in Bicentennial Man
Princess Vespa from Spaceballs had a droid called Dot Matrix
There was also Robocop, but he was the main character in those movies, not the sidekick

Hymie - you missed it by that much! Hymie was a bad robot that was turned to the forces of goodness. And he was exceptionally fond of Max.

There was Sheen from Anthony’s Adept books.

K9 from Dr. Who. And along the same lines, but much less cool, Muffet from Battlestar Galactica.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

[dumb anime fact] In Ah! My Goddess! Skuld has a sidekick she made named Banpei. (I’m referring to the comic here, though he also shows up in the Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses anime) [/dumb anime fact]

Does anybody else remember Quark? That had Andy the Android, though I had to do a Google search to remember that.

Lots of anime series have robot sidekicks/partners/love interest, mostly being very difficult to tell them from the human characters.

Saber Marionette J had a whole bunch of them - Lime, Cherry, Bloodberry, ect.

Chobits had all those personacons - like Chi or Sumumo.

there are a gaggle of very human like robots in Hand Maid May - like May the 1/6 human size robot maid.

Mahoromatic Maids had a combat robot/ turned maid as a main character.

Bubblegum Crisis had the 33-s series sexoroids, which are very human-like, in addition to many combat boomers…

Does the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz count? :smiley:

Future Cop starring Ernest Borgnine as the cop on the beat and whatshisname as the Robot policeman partner.

Holmes and Yo-Yo starring somebody and somebody else as a funny cop and robot-cop partner.

Say what you like about the original Star Trek but at least it didn’t have a stupid robot crewman taking over the Enterprise every third episode.*

*Just that one time I believe…

If you mention “Holmes and Yoyo,” you need to mention its source: Brillo by Harlan Ellison and Ben Bova

In Tanith Lee’s The Silver Metal Lover, the robot was a lot more than just a sidekick.

Zen, Orac, and Slave from Blake’s 7. Especially Orac, for his comment, “I am shutting down. I have much to do. You have engaged my circuits on your petty affairs for far too long.”

Kryten from Red Dwarf, of course.

Box from Star Cops

From the anime Big O Roger Smith, the Negotiator, has a female android associate named R. Dorothy Wainwright.

Superman has the Superman robots.

Think “Gigantor”. :smiley:

The Transformers are robots who have had human sidekicks, as is also true of Astro Boy.

Whoa. TV vertigo - I haven’t seen those for years. I feel a sudden urge to dig out the videos tonight.

How about A. Bettik from Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos books?

Quickly and briefly back to comics:

The Vision, in Marvel’s Avengers. Former husband of the Scarlet Witch.

L-Ron, from the 90s Giffen-era Justice League

Tomorrow Woman: one issue appearance in the new JLA.

The Brain, leader of the Brotherhood of Evil, Doom Patrol’s arch-enemies. Also Robotman from Doom Patrol.

Ilsa the Robot, from DC’s Tommy Tomorrow.

Marvel’s Machine Man

DC’s The Metal Men: Lead, Iron, Mercury, Platinum, Gold and Tin.
(Wait! They weren’t exactly sidekicks, were they? But they were teammates, and teamed-up with other heroes, and Platinum and Will Magus had this weird ‘love’ thing going, so…)

Robot Man, from the syndicated comic strip.

I know I’m missing some…

The lovely Ilda from the Star Hawkins stories in Strange Adventures.

I don’t remember any of the character’s names, but there’s always that cop’s robotic partner from Man and Machine.

Widget from Excalibur comics.

The androids from the Alien movies (most notably, Bishop).

Robo-Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Albert from Wolverine comics (he was a robotic Wolverine, and his little android friend LCD.

Warlock/Douglock from The New Mutants and X-Men comics.

I forget his name, but there was a cyborg brother in the cartoon Gargoyles.

There was the android chick from Jason X :slight_smile:

You come to find out the protagonist in American Cyborg is an android/cyborg.

Then there’s also Cyborg, with Van Dame. He’s not the cyborg, but the woman he’s protecting is.

80% of the characters from Nemesis (not the Star Trek movie, the 80’s sci-fi flick).

The Terminator.

In Blade Runner, was Harrison Ford’s character a replicant?