Rock Band Hell on Earth to Defy New St. Pete. Fla. Law With Onstage Suicide

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Entertainment/ap20030929_1887.html

“The leader of the rock band Hell on Earth said Monday that an onstage suicide will be conducted during a private St. Petersburg concert this weekend in defiance of a new city law designed to stop the act.”

Um… who would they arrest? :smack:

The band.

The town council passed an emergency ordinance to ban assisted suicide:

Why would anyone want to go see this anyway?

Sorry, the law bans suicide for commercial or entertainment purposes.

“suicide for commercial or entertainment purposes”

Words fail me…

G. G Alin promised to kill himself at his Halloween show every year, but he never did it. Instead he OD’ed on heroin like a cowardly junkie.

G.G. wasn’t a rocker so much as he was a performance artist. He was a sideshow curiosity at best. Hell on Earth just sound like a bunch of putzes.

I looked up his website. Charming guy. Shit. I’d have killed myself long before if I had THAT self to wake up to every day.

Heh!

The thing is all the articles on it mention people contacting the band through their websites volunteering or offering to also off themselves,umm must be a well hidden site since i can’t pull it up through google.

I also failed to find the site, effac3d. Smellin’ a bit like a hoax…

If it’s not a hoax, let me just say to these guys: happy trails! You won’t exactly be missed…

If I could stick a knife in my heart
Suicide right on the stage
Would it be enough for your teenage lust
Would it help ease the pain

—Rolling Stones, It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll

So, what’s the audience supposed to do when this dude offs himself? Cheer? Stand motionless? Politely applaud? I don’t think anyone’s quite considered that part yet.

Not really about the suicide, since I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said, but I like the line about “onstage antics such as chocolate syrup wrestling and grinding up live rats in a blender.” AS IF THERE IS ANY FUCKING SIMILARITY AT ALL! Good God, the only words that don’t fail me would get this sent straight to the Pit, so I’ll abstain from further comment.

Is anyone reminded of the “shoot naked women with paintballs” hoax awhile back?

Man, what a bogus way to stir up publicity. If they really were serious about assisted suicide, why don’t they hold their show in Oregon, or the Netherlands? But nooo…they gotta do it in FLORIDA!!! Bush Central! Of course there’s gonna be controversy – and all the free publicity that goes with it. :rolleyes:

I’ll bet they wuss out and just do a cover of Bowie’s “Rock and Roll Suicide” at the end of the show.

They’ll probably just introduce their new agent and manager, Ms. Susan Eiside.

The fact that we have a GG Alin fan on this Board scares the Sh@t outta me.

The fact that you live in the same state as I do, scares me worse.

Ghod! That man was trash!

I read a brief bio of the “high points” of his career, and it’s like a police blotter! Like Thompson’s Fear And Loathing, but without the humor, art & charm.

And I disagree. Alin was not an artist, performance or otherwise.

He was just exactly what he seemed to be.

Florida has long been known for it’s extreme music scene , from the band Death to the starting point for Marilyn Manson, so shock rock from FL is not news to anyone. This is just a cheap publicity stunt.

And Bosda, You can count two GG Allin fans on the board now.