Rock Hall of Fame Class of 2016

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2016 are in, and the list includes:

Chicago
Cheap Trick
Deep Purple
The Cars
Janet Jackson
N.W.A
Nine Inch Nails
The Smiths
Yes
Chaka Khan
Chic
The J.B.’s
Los Lobos
Steve Miller
The Spinners

Who is your vote for?
Who’s missing?
Who shouldn’t be on this list?
Poll to follow (if I can get it to work)

Some good and not so good choices for this year but I gotta go with Deep Purple. In fact, I’m surprised they haven’t already been inducted.

The Cars and The Smiths would be my other choices due to their influence in the following decade and beyond.

I predict N.W.A. is a shoe in, given their massive popularity at the moment with Straight Outta Compton’s success.

A weak year; so many of the choices were not particularly good and had long but terribly mediocre careers (Chicago, Steve Miller). I went with Yes, but not with a lot of enthusiasm. Cheap Trick was a possibility – I saw them a few years ago in concert and they were very impressive – but they were too limited.

I voted for Los Lobos, but I think making the poll single choice was a mistake, there can be multiple inductees after all.

My other choices would have been NIN and The Smiths.

Based on the way it usually goes, I bowed to peer pressure and voted for Steve Miller. I’d have voted for The Smiths, but no way will they get in. Los Lobos, Yes and Chicago don’t belong on the list at all.

Cheap Trick
Deep Purple
The Cars
Yes

The very fact that Yes and Deep Purple are not already in tells us that RRHOF is a sham.

Who the hell are the The J.B.’s??

James Brown’s '70’s band, featuring Bootsy Collins and his brother Catfish.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_J.B.'s

In terms of votes, The Cars, The Smiths, NIN, Janet Jackson, and Los Lobos; all seem easy. I would add Deep Purple and Yes. The ones like Chic, JB’s, NWA and others - all are “hall of fame” caliber, in their own respective genres. I never know how to approach them.

Voted for The Smiths.

Could have voted for :

Deep Purple (how come they were not inducted decades ago :confused:)
The Cars
Nine Inch Nails
Yes
Chic
Steve Miller

Still no Dick Dale, still no Link Wray. If either of them had been inducted already, I’d have voted for the J. B.'s.

Deep Purple tops the list for me, followed closely by Yes and Steve Miller.

I voted for the Smiths, but Chicago, NWA, and Nine Inch Nails should all be inducted. Funny, nobody in the thread mentioned Chicago, but they’re winning the poll right now. Really good band, especially their early stuff. Now when will Steely Dan get nominated?

EDIT: Apparently in 2001. Shows what I know. Oops.

With one choice I went with Deep Purple, but others are just as worthy.

I thought about opening it up to more than one but I concluded that one vote would make people make an absolute choice.

Based on ‘which of these acts would I most like to have seen in their prime’, I went with Chicago.
I have seen a couple of the others but have no great desire to see either Yes or NIN again.
A second vote would probably have been for Deep Purple.

Wow. :smack: I originally read that as ‘just *not *worthy’. I had researched and composed a screeching rebuttal (polite, of course) in support of Yes and Cheap Trick. Glad I looked again before posting it.

inb4 where’s Rush?!?!?

Who? Why can’t I vote for more than one act?

Really lop-sided for American bands this year…

To run through my own personal filter of “Merely being remembered or successful isn’t HoF worthy, but should have pushed or influenced the genre beyond mere sales and airplay”:

The Cars
N.W.A
Nine Inch Nails
Chic
The J.B.’s

Who I suspect will get in:

Chicago
Yes
Janet Jackson
Steve Miller

I chose That’s nice but Todd Rundgren should have been inducted already

One could make an argument that he should or should not be inducted as a performer, but his legacy as a producer is unquestioned. Producing Bat Out of Hell, one of the top selling albums of all time. He wasn’t just the producer, he was the arranger, guitarist and did the majority of the background vocals.

I went with Cheap Trick, but I could also have voted for Chicago, The Smiths, NIN, and The Cars. NWA is guaranteed to get in—they’re this year’s token rap group. (Not that they don’t deserve it, but the HOF is pretty blatant in their tokenism.)