Running digital distribution game sale/special thread

Ok, some thoughts on things I already own and recommend:

First, Defense Grid is crazy fun if you like tower defense type games. Between playing the actual games, and the medal achievements, I put a fair number of hours into it.

Batman Arkarm Asylum is probably the best comic book superhero game I’ve ever played. It’s a 3rd person fighter in an open world, and it’s really addictive. I don’t normally go in for the spiderman/superman type games, but this is much better than any of those games ever were.

Braid was fun for a hour or two, but I got bored. it was really pretty an innovative, but not my style. Again, for the price… check it out.

Stalker was a moderate amount of fun. For $2… why not.

The original Deus Ex was probably the best game out when it was released. if you’re into classic fps games, it’s worth a look.

I loved the XCOM games when they came out. Since my copy doesn’t work anymore, I picked these up for nostalgia in case I ever want to. And if you enjoy them, the Civ III and Civ IV packs are pretty cheap. I picked up the Civ IV pack a little while ago just to avoid hunting down all the CDs when I wanted to re-install it.

Rome: Total War is totally worth $2.50.

Torchlight is an amazing indie game. It plays like Diablo, and it’s well worth $10.

Ghostbusters should have been good. But it’s not. I’d avoid it.

For newer games, Borderlands was a lot of fun as a shooter. The DLC for it was OK. Not great, but not bad. Obviously the Left 4 Dead games have a big Steam following around here and I enjoyed them quite a bit. BioShock was ok. Not my thing, but I have a lot of friends who swear that it’s the best game of the decade and it’s fairly cheap. GTA IV for $7.50 is worth it assuming the bugs are out of the PC version. I loved it on the 360. Not as good as III, but still decent enough.

If there are any other games you’re on the fence about, ask. I’ll give my opinion if I’ve played it.

Well I bought 8 games in total:

Beyond Good and Evil
Braid
Defence Grid
Evil Genius
Ghostbusters
STALKER
Space Trader
Zombie Shooter 2

All for £17 and change. I’ll get many hours out of those I think.

You can get this one free at GameTap.com.

STALKER was freakin’ awesome. $2? Hell yes, pick it up.

Thanks so much for giving the heads-up about this, SenorBeef. I’ve grabbed Mirror’s Edge and the LucasArts adventure pack, and will almost certainly pick up more goodies as the week goes on.

I love Valve.

I bought it. I’ll report back if the server ever lets me download the damn thing. Getting 400k/sec after switching to the Japanese server, but that ain’t too quick for 15 GB.

Thanks for making this thread. So far I’ve picked up Titan Quest gold and BioShock.

-I think I saw Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for $5. I already have it, but that’s a great deal.
-Tropico 3 isn’t super-cheap, but it is on sale ($20), and I liked it.
-Eschalon Book I is $10. It’s a very old-school RPG that I enjoyed. It’s more of a low budget game, so $10 isn’t as extreme of a deal as other items on sale, but it still has my stamp of approval.
-Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind game of the year edition is $15, and is one of my favorite games ever.

Yeah, I know - Valve is getting absolutely hammered with bandwidth requests right now, especially when that 16gb monster is a 1 day sale making everyone buy it at the same time. But thanks for the offer - I don’t even care about the $7.50, I’m wondering if it’s worth the frustration even if the game were free. From what I heard about it when it was initially released, it sounded like it wasn’t.

Pandora Tomorrow was the best of the SC series IMO.I don’t think it is listed on Steam but you can get a copy for a 6th generation console for under $5. The 6th generation versions of Pandora Tomorrow are going for $1 & S/H on half.com. I have heard the S.C. games have anti-piracy software that screws up your PC. No idea if that is an issue on steam or not.

The storyline isn’t important in splinter cell. Besides, the different games have different storylines.

Defense Grid is addictive and fun. Totally worth the $2.49.

Pandora Tomorrow doesn’t seem to be available on steam. Metacritic says there’s a PC version though.

I think I’ll grab chaos theory, and if I like the style of game I’ll just grab the other two, since the deal runs for over a week anyway I’ll have time to see. Thanks.

I did get defense grid, and it is fun.

If I only get one of the Prince of Persia games, which one should it be?

Definitely The Sands of Time. Both Warrior Within and The Two Thrones are good, but can’t compare to the first one. WW suffers from let’s make it more dark and edgier syndrome. The cocky but lovable prince from the first game would never call someone a bitch. Penny Arcade did a comic about the ridiculousness of the game. Yes, there really is a woman prancing around in a stupid metal bikini. The platforming is still top notch and I prefer the fighting system in the sequels to the original. The fighting in SOT was a bit too simple. TT is pretty good and is more in line design wise with the first one. A satisfying ending to the trilogy.

PS. I thought Pandora Tomorrow was the weakest of the Splinter Cell games. Chaos Theory is my favorite.

Another request for recommendations. My mom is pretty much totally new to computers and probably knows nothing at all about any games - are there any good deals on this sale for people who are completely new to gaming? I’m thinking some simple but addictive games like some of the bejeweled type games might work, but I don’t know what’s a good value. Any suggestions that I can gift to her to get her started?

World of Goo if I only had one recommendation.

Beyond that, Braid, Peggle and of course… Bejeweled is on sale too. I loved Plants vs Zombies, but that may not be her cup of tea. I’ve heard decent things about Crayon Physics, but haven’t tried it myself. Ditto with ‘And Yet It Moves’. On second thought… AYIM might be a bit much for a new player.

You could go for something like the PopCap Favorites pack too. it’s a bit more, but you get a couple games in it, better chance she’ll like something.

GTA4 runs like a pig. I wouldn’t bother with it.

Yeah, I ended up not getting it. Figured that with my huge backlog of new games anyway I might as well not bother with something I suspect is going to frustrate me.

There are 5 new daily deals today. Almost all of the games that were on sale before still are, they just have 5 additional games per sale for 24 hours every day. Today they are:

Left 4 Dead 2 $33.49
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter $9.99
Need For Speed: Shift $37.49
Football Manager 2010 $29.99
id Super Pack $23.79

The big value there is the id Super Pack, with every game they’ve ever made, if for some reason you are under the impression that id has ever made a good game. Every quake, every doom, hexens, wolf3d/return to castle wolfenstein, commander keen, various map packs and expansions. L4D2 of course is great if you don’t own it yet for some reason, and we have SDMB games every day.

Some great deals on Steam right now.

I’ve been hemming and hawing about Empire: Total War for months … but I’m downloading right now for 25 clams. My X-mas present to myself.

Ah no one posted the daily deals while I wasn’t around.

Well you still have 15 hours to hop on them, until noon EST tomorrow.

Battlefield 2: Complete Collection $7.50
King’s Bounty: Armored Princess $10
Cogs $2
Red Faction: Guerilla
Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation $1
Resident Evil 5: $25

I have mixed feelings on the BF2 collection. That’s a great price. I have a love/hate relationship with the game that’s mostly hate, because they took what otherwise is a great game and ruined it by making the dumbest most annoying single ‘feature’ a video game has had and have no option to alleviate it. On the other hand, if you can manage to tune that out, and you don’t mind that a game based around coordinated teamplay effectively doesn’t allow any real communication because of it, then it’s a great game.

I actually own the game on physical disks, which I damaged beyond repair. I tried to get a legit copy again through EA’s download service to no avail. Eventually I pirated the game, cracked it, and used my legit CD key to play online… and after all this hassle, I logged onto a server, and heard “ENEMY [WHATEVER] SPOTTED” roughly 15 times in my first 3 seconds on the server, immediately quit, and never played again.

So I probably shouldn’t buy it, since I have it installed and ready to play and can’t bring myself to play it. On the other hand, it’d be nice to have a copy so if I ever decided to play again I wouldn’t have to go through the hassle, plus it contains the expansion/booster packs I never got.

Does anyone know if there are any problems running mods like project reality through the steam version?

Anyway, Cogs seems like it’s worth $2, check out the demo/trailer. It’s sort of like a more intricate, more complex version of the lockpick minigame in bioshock.

Red Faction: Guerilla had some cool youtube videos - I already own it as part of the THQ pack but haven’t gotten around to trying it.

The kings bounty game looks interenteresting, but I don’t really know how it plays. I’ll give the demo a shot.

<sigh>

Oh, sure, tell me all about this, force me to spend my hard-earned hoard of little flat metal nuggets on several games! Now, how am I going to get done all that lesson planning I had in mind for this Christmas Break!!! :mad:

:stuck_out_tongue:

I never understood womens urges to buy tons of crap just because it was on sale until the Steam holiday sale. I am now proud owner of about 30 games i will never get around to playing that cost me an average of 3 bucks each.

Hehehe, they are your equivalent of the pair of black shoes. :smiley: