Russian Objections To STAR TREK?

I recall reading that the original STAR TREK TV show was a big hit (worldwide); but that the Russians objected to the character of Lt. Chekhov (played by actor Walter Konig). What was that all about? As far as I could see, Lt. Chekhov was a cpmpetent officer, who seemed to follow Kirk’s orders unquestionably. He (Chekhov) also seemed to steer clear of extra-carricular trouble (I don’r recall seeing any Chekhov -alien sexual relationships). So, why were the Russians pissed off?

That’s why. :wink:

It’s a myth, just like the myth that the Russians were annoyed that a Russian character wasn’t included in the first place. Chekov’s inclusion was to make the show more youth-oriented, with that Monkees haircut and all. He did get horny on occasion, as with the illusory blonde in “Spectre of the Gun”.

Interestingly, Chekov’s dialog made no mention of “Soviets”. He tended instead to refer to cossacks and the Czar and other pre-revolutionary images.

Was the character of Chekhov added to Star Trek in response to an editorial in Pravda?

Regardless of the myth, David Gerrold in his book on the making of “The Trouble With Tribbles” talked a bit about how he went out of his way to make the character very Russian. He takes credit for starting the whole “inwented in Russia” routine.

I never understood how the Soviets/Russians would even be aware of Star Trek? Unless some diplomatinc staff stationed in the US saw it, then wrote to Pravda complaining about something Pravda’s target audience would have no clue about. :dubious:

True. Most Russian Science Fiction of the late 60’s had to do with meeting Grain Production Quotas…

:smiley:

Just want to put in a good word for the Russian science fiction film Solaris (1972), remade with George Clooney in 2002.

Then The Trouble with Tribbles should have been just the job, da? :stuck_out_tongue:

In Soviet Union, grain eat tribbles.