Ryan Newman just walked out of the fucking hospital!

:eek:

Amazing. Simply amazing.

For those that didn’t hear the news, Ryan Newman was involved in the most horrific crash in NASCAR since Dale Earnhardt was killed in 2001.

No blood, no body parts… just cars crashing and flames but hoooooboy is it a bad crash.

Those extensive safety reforms are the legacy of the Earnhardt death. Saved Newman’s life and will doubtlessly save more ahead too.

Aye. Awesome to see that the changes were progress and not just changes, tho, isn’t it? When people actually commit to doing things, even very difficult things, they can achieve their goals.

10 fingers, 10 toes, and steadily walking. I wonder why officials and hospital officials were so coy about his condition then?

There’s a front picture of him in a hospital gown, with his two girls here. From how reporters were making it sound, I was expecting him to look like Deadpool or worse.

Outstanding that he looks like he’s going to make a full recovery.

I heard third or fourth hand (internet meme or twitter-ish post, I forget) that Newman himself engineered or designed or came up with a vital piece of safety equipment that contributed to his surviving this crash. If there’s even a shred of truth to that, it’s that much more incredible.

I’m surprised there’s been no mention of concussion. Another miracle.

So he wasn’t hospitalized for fucking? :wink:

The NASCAR rave ran over, so I happened to catch the end of the race and this crash. I thought it was going to to be fatal as I saw it. Amazing that he survived.

Goddamn HMO and its coverage limits!

When I saw it live, I wasn’t sure, even if he lived, he would be able to race ever again. Now, I think he’ll be back in a few weeks.

Is he made of an alloy of unobtanium and adamantium? I trip a bit and I’m limping for a week, this guys just walks like it’s nobody’s business!!
I watch the race, and at first it didn’t look THAT bad, but as the minutes passed and, while Hamlin was celebrating oblivious to this, it was evident it wasn’t a run-of-the-mill crash.
Yet, the son of a gun is walking. Well done for the safety equipment. the rescue team, the doctors, and everyone else who helped.

He’s an engineer or at least he was prior to going pro, right? Or that was his major? It’s been a while but those buttons are lighting up in my nascar->newman->personal info brain sector.

I saw some terribly glurgy stuff on facebook. One was like the ghost of Dale saying “not another one. Not today” or some equally banal treacle.

Aye; that matches my memory too.

Im AMAZED by the safety of these NASCAR cars. If only all cars could be this safe.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can be. How much do you want to spend, and how comfortable do you want to be? Safety in cars has always, from day one, been a function of money spent. Once upon a time mirrors, seatbelts, and even airbags were optional extras. If you wanted that stuff it was out of your pocket. As they became mandatory the cost was baked into the price. They can make cars with full cages and racing seats with 6-point harnesses, but who would want to pay for them or daily drive them to and from work?

Would I be able to drive 200mph?

Pretty sure he has an engineering degree from Purdue, so whatever I saw was at least plausible. I saw some of that Earnhardt “protection” stuff, and it was beyond silly.

I just stumbled upon a picture of that crash, and good lord, absent the context, I wouldn’t even have been able to identify that pile of scrap metal as a car. A human was inside that wreckage and survived!?

Pure speculation on my part, but I assume the cautious messaging that came out in the 24-48 hours after the crash was due to what was probably a very severe concussion and probably whiplash. These are the kinds of injuries that require careful monitoring and can go south very quickly but don’t show a lot of outward effects. Once he past the point where any swelling or internal damage would have shown itself his prognosis got pretty rosy.

The look of the crash is deceptive to how much damage is inflicted on the driver. The more damage the car takes, metal crushed / parts falling off, the less destructive energy is transferred to the driver.
The deadly accidents, like the one that killed Earnhardt Sr., look tame by comparison but are lethal since the car absorbed little of the energy and transferred it right into Dale.