Sadistic Snack Foods and the Masochists Who Love Them

I forgot about Toobs. I think they’re probably fried snacks (a bit like Cheetohs) with “burger” flavouring. They were unavailable for a long time.

This blog sums it up nicely.

Pingnak , I second both of your comments.

Add me to the pistachio lovers list.
Most foods, I lose interest in long before I would actually make myself sick.
Pistachios - If I don’t stop myself, I’ll keep eating them until my stomach rebels.

I too avoid the unshelled versions. That would make it way to easy.

Wasabi peas or Wasabi bean mix- burns so good
Pickled Jalapeno peppers from the jar- vinegary hotness
Japanese cracker covered peanuts- crunchy, more-ish and bad for your jaws
Prawn crackers hot from the fryer- hot and yummy, hot oil burns all round
Whole gherkins- preferably half a jar of “Mrs Elwood’s Haimisha Cucumbers”- vinegar and spices…cuts your tongue something terrible
Black olives, each stuffed with a clove of raw garlic and marinated in chilli- no-one will kiss you, but you won’t care
Salted buttered popcorn- sticks in your teeth
Raw oysters-hurt your hands to open, makes you want to gag, but still yummy and too sexual for its own good
Very spicy curry- so good today, so bad tommorrow

Dried fruit, Brownies, good ice cream, brownies, peanut-butter cups, and did I mention brownies?

I have an odd, but not uncommon side-effect from some stomach surgery; anything with a large ammount of processed sugar or honey in it causes me massive stomach discomfort, cold sweats, chills, and immense headaches for an hour or so after eating. I’ve had to give up some real favorite foods.

Like brownies. :frowning:

Damn, the SDMB does it every time. I was going to post that.

My pain foods are pineapple and hot sauce. If you do the actually preparing of the fresh pineapple yourself, chances are you’ll get a few cuts on your fingers that will start the burning process, then you eat the pineapple and get all kinds of things happening in your mouth, some of them painful, others just delightful.

Fresh pineapple helps me understand masochists.

If you eat really hot peppers, water isn’t much help, but bread is.

You need a bonk. - http://www.bonk.co.nz/

I have a word that I use privately in my own mind to describe the painful/pleasurable sensation you get from torturing your own mouth. The description above of mashing the wasabi pea into the tip of one’s tongue “because that’s where all the good pain receptors are” is exactly what I’m talking about.

The word is “ginchy,” as in, “it feels ginchy.”

This means nothing to anyone except me, and I’ve never mentioned it to anyone until now.

You had to bring up Toobs, didn’t you.

I forgot Toobs. My mouth was happy. Now I remember Toobs. There will be pain.

I have long held a conspiracy theory that Jolly Ranchers are secretly made by the American Dental Association.

FYI, water doesn’t do squat for a mouth of hot burning goodness, but if you drink milk, it will coat the burning stuff on your tongue and cool the fire.

Your mistake was thinking that as a human being, your brain is actually powerful enough to forget Toobs.

They gave me rum and coke in a Malaysian restaurant in Amsterdam. I was 14. I can’t remember if it cooled the burn, but I liked it.

In my crowd, ‘Ginchy’ = ‘Peachy Keen’. i.e. a somewhat archaic term for cool. Rarely used, except when you need an archaic term for cool. :slight_smile:

I have the exact same experience (including the bad seed part), except with sunflower seeds.

I will definitely keep eating spicy foods even after I am in agony. The other night I was at my favorite Indian restaurant and discovered a new appetizer; deep-fried lentil patties covered in onion, jalapeno and some kind of potent red chili powder. Could not stop eating them even after my mouth begged for mercy.

Funny pistachio story: in the late Eighties after the Grateful Dead had some huge hits, bassist Phil Lesh was asked how his newfound wealth had changed his life. He thought for a while and responded “You know how there are always a few pistachios in the bag that are really hard to open? I just throw those away now.” You know those guys had extensive experience with snack foods…

Yes I have also experienced this with pineapples. My mouth will itch and burn if I eat too much.

Atomic Fireballs! You HAD to mention them. And no, there is no connection between them and my username. But …

Once way-back-when when I had a really good job, I was on a conference call, sucking on an Atomic Fireball. Somehow, the damn thing slipped into my THROAT. I thought I was gonna DIE! Had to put on MUTE and cough it up.

I loves 'em anyway! And I don’t mind crying in public if the food is “hot” enough :smiley:

My favorite HOT is probably well-made Indian curries … them ghost peppers are awesome!

As for candy … Sweet Tarts. I will suck on them until they burn my tongue so much I can’t do it anymore.

when I was younger we still had a drug store that sold the “penny candy” and I would spend a buck buying the “sticks” (for 15 cents) my favorite was pink lemonade and fruit punch the 2 rarest flavors they made … it got to the point that on delivery day they didn’t bother putting them out as id buy them all anyways so they would just hand me tie 10 or so of each they’d t I think I only seen an orange flavor once …

I don’t think they make the sticks anymore … and theres only about 5 main flavos they seem to make

Seriously… over 24 hours and nobody has said…

BRAINS!