Salem MA Not Thrilled With Bewitched Statue - Any Future Venue Warning For TV Land?

Bewitched statue plan bothers, bewilders – But Salem touts it as tourism booster

It appears some Salemites aren’t thrilled with Nickelodeon / TV Land’s Bewitched statue. I’ve only seen 1 of the 4 national treasures: the Jackie Gleason monument in front of the NYC PA bus terminal (and I had no idea it was put there by a cable TV channel, always wondered why it wasn’t in Brooklyn and though it a bit small in scale).

I was ignorant to the fact there’s[ul]
[li]An Andy Griffith statue in NC,[/li][li]A Mary Tyler Moore statues in the Twin Cities[/li][li]And a Bob Newhart monument in Chicago (I wonder if Vermonters feel cheated)[/ul]Anyway, some people aren’t happy about a crass bronze cast of Samantha given the troubling events of 300+ years ago. Which begs the next question, if the Elizabeth Montgomery statue is erected, what’s next:A Dukes of Hazard statue in downtown Selma?[/li]A Hogan’s Heroes monument on Raoul Wallenberg Place in DC?

Yes, let’s have a statue of Colonel Klink and Sgt. Schultz waving with the words: Welcome to Auchwitz underneath it.

It’ll be festive!

Well, there was that plan for the The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer monument in the ruins of Andersonville that didn’t go over too well.

On the other hand, there’s been a surprising amount of local support for the Victims of the Olsen Twins Memorial in San Francisco.

Something crass and touristy in Salem? Heaven forbid!

I heartily concur. I was there once as a tourist, and nobody was shy about selling the Witch Trial angle. To try and make it seem painful is utterly absurd, given how much even the woo-woos hawk that history, and there is simply no comparison to other atrocities in our nation’s or our world’s history.

The Alice Kramden Lunar Memorial.

For a moment I thought you were suggesting we entomb the Olson Twins in a memorial.

sigh

It was a lovely Cask of Amantillado sort of thought.

Hell no—I wouldn’t want to keep anything left of them that could possibly rise from the grave.

Nice.

There should be an Alice Kramden statue on the Moon itself. Hell, I just want us back on the Moon.

“The Dukes of Hazzard” was, I’m afraid, set here in Georgia.

Doesn’t the town of Riverside, Iowa, have some sort of memorial as the “future birthplace of James T. Kirk”?

I wonder how many Springfields will claim to be the Simpsons’ home?

'Twasn’t a P.O.W. camp.

The Andy Griffith statue is in Pullen Park in Raleigh, NC. From what I’ve heard, there’s been a bit of vandalism on it; mostly it’s a ho-hum thing.

The statue SHOULD have gone to Mount Airy, NC, which is recognized as the town on which Mayberry was based. It would have assisted Mount Airy’s tourism draw, but has really done nothing for Raleigh, except for some die-hard fans who made the pilgramage to see it installed.

The Raleigh references in the show were mainly about sending criminals to Raleigh, and of course Barney’s reference to getting a corner room at the Y.

His corner room at the Y is no more, by the way. The Central YMCA on Hillsborough Street is now being renovated, and the residence rooms are making way for the renovation.

How about the Too Close For Comfort statue of JM J Bullock on Castro St. in SF?

This thread is a bit late:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=314176&highlight=Bewitched