Salutetorian: What should I talk about?!?

Yesterday I was informed that I am the salutetorian of my class (Salutetorian comes after valedictorian, I’m second, but whatever) I have only been in the American school system for three years and went to one graduation ceremony. So I am not particularly familiar what to talk about ( :confused: )

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to talk about. (Don’t you usually talk about moving on in life and stuff like that?)

PLZ Help! :eek:

>>> have only been in the American school system for three years <<<
For background, are you from another country?

Waitaminnit. Just noticed your location. Are you from Syria?

Well I live in Syria, and have for the past three years, but I am actually from the Netherlands (Holland)

That was pretty good thought that you got that hint. (About Syria)I actually wanted to put “oldest continously inhabited city in the world” but it didn’t fit.

So you go to Damascus Community School? Holy cow, the stories you could tell!

One thing, and I hope this doesn’t insult you, but “salutatorian” is the proper spelling. I would hate for you to write it and become embarrassed.

So where are you from? Thanx for the spelling spent a long time trying to figure out how to say and/or spell it, no-one really seems to know.

Did you ever go to DCS? And if yes when?

If you don’t want to answer then don’t, i’m just really surprised to find anyone that knows about DCS

I live in California. I am not an alumnus.

I guess I just assumed it was a British schooling method at the DCS. It is a member of the Independent Schools of the UK, right?

Now, on to the speech:

If you were a Hollander from Syria now living in Slocum, Nevada you might really make a big bang by talking about your experiences as a foreigner and as a foreigner on the soil of Syria, thereby giving a little perspective in your speech, to your typically insular American peers.

Maybe you’d like to correspond with an American salutatorian in say, Ohio. I assume you’ve got about two weeks? You could have quite a conversation. In fact, it might be eye-opening enough to transcribe directly to your classmates.

I don’t believe that DCS is a member of the independent Schools of the UK. DCS is American curriculum based and also affiliated with the American Embassy in Damascus (How that works is a big mystery but they do have “some” influence) Even though it is an American school there aren’t that many Americans in my school. it’s mainly Syrians and other international students. The only Americans in my class that are American have dual citicenship.

I actually have three weeks and would be interested in anything that might get me started.

This will be a little off-the-cuff, but here goes: “Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, honored guests and fellow graduates. Learn to dance. If I can only give you one piece of advice, this is it: learn to dance. I can think of no other human endeavour more appropriate for learning interaction and cooperation than dancing with a partner.
The world stage is, after all, a gigantic and majestic dance. Emerging nations are like the inexperienced nation - shy, unfamiliar, and dependent upon partners to learn the first steps. Dance floor experts, like developed nations, have perfected their craft and engage in a large repertoire of movements and nuances that are sometimes so subtle as to be felt, rather than seen.
International relations can be likened to the social interactions encountered at a dance. “May I have this dance?” “Mind if I cut in?” These and other remarks heard at a ballroom are the counterparts of international relations agreements.
Some nations, just as the “wallflower at a dance,” will be reluctant to join the crowd on the dance floor. These nations feel ill-equipped to deal with the larger issues or are intimidated by the ease with which others navigate the seemingly impossible task of cooperation needed to perform the dance. They will learn, just as you should learn.
Syria may be thought of as one of those reluctant participants. However, Syria has the opportunity to bring new steps, new movements - indeed, new dances to the ball.”
From there, you could talk about issues facing both Syria and the world as a whole. The wrap-up would then be a recommendation to the class to learn dancing as a first step in learning how to deal with day-to-day challenges they will face in today’s complicated human existence.

What should you talk about?

FIVE MINUTES!
Actually, you may want to highlight the similarities in all cultures, as opposed to what makes us different. Or…

Education never stops, if you’re smart. Only by accurate knowledge can we be prepared for whatever life may bring our way. Or…

Find out what the Val is speaking on and either complement it or contrast it. Or…

Contrast the oldest city with the youngest adults (you), possibly commenting on what laid ahead of them and what you can look forward to. And…

Learn to dance.

Don’t take the speech too seriously, because your audience won’t, either. Have fun with it. Know your limitations.

Good luck.

I don’t know, but grtz! :smiley:

Just general advice: be forward-looking, and don’t place too much importance on high school (I’m thinking that’s what you’re talking about, but you didn’t specify). And yes, have fun with it. The salutatorian of my class mostly whined about all the things she didn’t do in high school and what she’d missed and how upsetting it was. Yick. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was salutatorian of my high school class, and after some agonizing I decided to give my speech about history. I made a few points about how nobody ever set out to make history, they just did good things and hoped for the best. I challenged everyone to be the best they could, and to go make some history.

I got applause, although I’m sure that was partially because my speech was so much shorter and to the point than the valedictorian’s rambling, tearful goodbye.

Congratulations on the honor, by the way.

Above all, be brief and to the point. No one will listen to you for more than 5 minutes at most.

Try to avoid long flowery cliches – if you truly have unique insights on life and the future that you want to share go ahead, but don’t try to force them.

I was salutatorian, and was embarrassed as all hell to have to get up and speak in front of thousands of people.

My mom gave me the idea of “important papers in our lives” - you know, birth certificates, drivers licenses, high school diplomas. About how we were at a major turning point in our lives…blah blah blah.

God, I sweated through the entire thing. I’d never given a speech before. Yeesh! I’m hoping that no one really paid me much mind.

So, Puppy, what’s your update?

Yhanks everyone this really is great help. This weekend I’ll writew my first draft so maybe I’ll get back to you if I need some more inspiration or anything. Thanks