Sam Stone believes Trump's tweets

There are crazies, idiots and ignoramuses on all sides of every topic - there is no question about this. The problem is that the Right have been electing theirs to high office in recent years.

What’s strange here is that anyone who’s actually read the book knows that it’s not a broad anti-pestcide never-shall-we-ever screed. I certainly thought it was going in, based on how it’s portrayed and discussed.

ETA aside from the whole not actually being banned thing.

I guess tomorrow is the day that we find out if the Department of Justice is correct in thier assertion that Trump is full of shit. Or, alternatively, that Trump actually did order everything declassified and unredacted, in which case the Mueller Report is out there in all it’s unredacted glory.

On Oct. 8, Walton, a George W. Bush appointee, ordered the DOJ to “confer with the White House in order to advise the Court as to the White House’s official position regarding declassification and release to the public of information related to the Russia investigation.” Walton also ordered the DOJ to file by Oct. 13 a response in opposition to BuzzFeed’s motion, addressing whether President Trump really did waive—by tweeting—the Freedom of Information Act exemptions that the DOJ previously relied on to redact the Mueller Report and FBI 302s.

I have no opinion on Sam’s mental health but this board is slowly becoming a monoculture. There are damn few conservatives left.

Hard to take that seriously when the example pointed in my last post showed that Sam has internalized the general idea that scientists involved in environmental matters are mass murderers. There is really very little god faith that can come out of him when one figures out that he believes misleading information that tells him that when he encounters people that look at science and logic to make sense of the world that they are enablers of heinous crimes.

Sam, yes, there is a critical mass but no one is Pickering on you.

You are aware, of course, that peaceful nuclear power is a Liberal thing, brought about by the federal Liberal Minister of Everything following WWII. NRU was the world’s oldest reactor when it closed a couple of years ago, after its isotopes saved countless lives, a tremendous lot, it gave what it got, in its twenty-two thousand days. It was designed and built by Liberals – the immigrant manager of engineering, the nice, really really really nice chief civil engineer, the geeky nuclear engineer, the barrier breaking female head of security – all Liberals, even the fellow who suited up, grabbed a couple of wrenches, went into the cooled down chamber to clean up NRU after it pissed itself – yes, that same liberal who went on to become the tree-huggingest, social community buildingest, hand-holding globalist that has ever been a President of the now festering shithole of extreme right wing fetishism on our southern border.

Fast forward to today. Who has greenlighted SMRs? Liberals.

What is the Liberal government’s position of peaceful nuclear power?

Sam, you keep throwing little balls of defecate derision at your bewildered adversaries because they are balanced liberals who in your remarkably biased opinion are blocking new nuclear erections, when the simple fact of the matter is that nuclear power generation in Canada has always been a liberal thing and it has always been moderated in balance with other vital considerations, including health, environment, economy et alia, you know, things that your extreme right brethren do not give a flying fuck about.

So get your facts straight and stop whining like a child. Grow the fuck up and stop drinking cool-aid.

That just doesn’t explain why Trump’s tweet sailed right through Sam’s mental defenses. We all have blind spots here and there, and most thinking adults will take some time for reflection after a mistake of this kind has been made. We check our sources, we bolster our skepticism, and so on.

But the right-wing media has, for decades, been dismantling the ability of their supporters to be skeptical. Part of this is just a constant push for tribalism, so that if you find someone that goes against your beliefs, then the fact that they oppose your tribe is reason enough to doubt them. They have also never missed an opportunity to tear down those with “elite” knowledge and promote their own fact-free version of events.

Eventually, all these things add up, and you’re left with a gullible husk of an mind that is no longer capable of digging itself out of the hole it got into. The first step would be to at least acknowledge the mistake, and we can see that even that ability has been lost.

That’s what they say, certainly. But Nixon founded the EPA and supported universal health care, so he’d be a far-left radical by the standards of modern Republicans.

What are the chances now that @Sam_Stone comes back with a “question” about Hunter Biden’s supposed laptop? Sam, are you still buying what the Trump campaign is selling?

This thread has had vigorous disagreements around nuclear power and GMOs. We’ve had lots of arguments around here about school vouchers, about the role of big tech, about the tension between religious freedom and other human rights, about conditions under which schools should reopen in the pandemic, about the root causes of racial inequalities, about reparations, about the proper role (if any ) of ICE, and more.

But people who come here fronting with their Trumpian nonsense get dogpiled, so you call it a monoculture?

Bullshit.

If “conservative” means Trump-supporter, fascist, conspiracist, authoritarian, or white supremacist, then there is no need for conservative participation in rational modern democratic society. All disagreements over actual policy can and do take place within liberalism itself.

That would be the rational approach, but people are not perfectly rational.

I heard a podcast a while ago about the events described in this book. In short, it’s about a group who believed that a UFO was coming to save them from the destruction of the world, and the researchers who studied (and infiltrated) them to see what they would do when the UFO didn’t arrive. Many of their reactions were not purely rational, either.

There are some rather enthusiastic debates taking place on the board, so this is an odd claim.

I think what you mean is the board doesn’t have many REPUBLICANS. I sure as shit hope your definition of what constitutes a broad SDMB community isn’t “lots of Republicans and other people,” because that’s an odd definition to say the least. “Republican” doesn’t even mean “conservative.”

If the board doesn’t have a great many Republicans, well, that’s largely because the Republican Party has become a fanatic party of Trumpists, a group that will not do well on a board where people are expected to bring facts and solid arguments. It has to be said again; there is no equivalence between Trumpists and reasonable people.

I believe scientists have discovered that the hardest substance in the world is the head of a right wing conservative faced with evidence from the left that his claims are wrong.

Interestingly, I’m right now preparing a lesson for my fourth graders on confirmation bias. I believe the children are our future…

I don’t know if we have that kind of time.

I sure do. Just because we’re debating many topics doesn’t mean we’re not a monoculture. How many conservatives are left who post regularly? I used to always read Bricker or XT; I often disagreed with them but they brought good ideas to the table and I learned from them.

But now we’re just left with all Republicans/conservatives are evil. A recent thread said conservatives believe they have the right to kill people and there was little push-back. How many Pit threads do we have calling out a liberal poster for something dumb they said and trying to get them to admit they’re wrong?

The Republican President said, out loud, that we shouldn’t elect the Democrat because he’ll listen to scientists.

If you defend that man, don’t come to a place that has been fighting ignorance since 1973.

Maybe you’ve had your head in the sand this whole time, but this is not in any way about conservative vs. liberal ideology/policy. It’s about a destructive lying president.

I’m sick of every “moderate” conservative whining about how liberals treat them unfairly because they’re conservative. Look, you can go on about whatever economic ideas you may have, and folks might agree or disagree, but will generally engage in a debate with you.

Believing Trump isn’t, or shouldn’t be, a conservative position. If you feel that believing Trump is specifically part of conservative ideology, then you’re an acolyte. If not, then don’t pretend like this is a conservative/liberal disagreement; the man serving as president is a dishonest crook. Pointing that out (and holding others to task for denying it) is not a “liberal” position.

Deeg, are you able to identify the posters in this thread who are conservative other than Sam?

It’s been said multiple times, but “conservative” does not equal “Trump lie enabler”

IMO, there are plenty of “conservatives” on the SDMB.

Some (Bricker) seem to have left because they were not able to reconcile the Trump presidency with “their team”, and could not defend Trump using logical reasoning.

Some have maintained their conservative views, while agreeing that Trump is a shit stained excuse for a human being. They can repudiate him while still holding conservative values. It’s actually not that hard to do.

Others have gone all in on Trumpism. Trump is the best. As far as they are concerned, Trump = Conservatism. So they must, MUST defend every asinine thing that drops out of his mouth hole. These are the people who get piled on. They have given up conservatism in favor of Trumpism.