Santorum - Boston liberalism cause of priest scandal.

Dumfuk santorum spatula est. Pax rectum.

Well, that’s why I said his remarks were misdirected. I think he’s right to criticize sexual license and moral relativism in the priest scandal, but Boston and liberals aren’t fair targets. Some small minority of priests are.

I thought I made that clear the first time 'round.

I think you’re still off base. Catholic priests have never enjoyed sexual license and moral relativism. AFAIK Catholicism has always preached moral absolutes and priesthood celibacy.

[nitpick]
priesthood chastity
[/nitpick]

I should hope not. They should feel all the guilt they made the rest of us feel.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what’s the difference?

‘chastity’ and ‘celibacy’ are synonyms, according to dictionary.com.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=chastity

What is the difference between the two, in your eyes?

This isn’t an attack, I realize synonyms can have different shades of meaning, and I’m just curious what the difference is in this case.

Be aware that unless you’re from PA, nobody in his office will read your e-mail. Or particularly care.

Sure, that is what has been preached. And yet, some priests have committed sexual indiscretions and exen sexual crimes, despite their training and even their own teaching to their parish.

Isn’t this the very definition of moral relativism and sexual license?

As a Bostonian, I find that frustrating. But how would he know where I’m from unless I tell him?

I guess I’m not sure. How do you define those terms?

I could be wrong, but I would define moral relativism as a set of morals defined by community circumstances, not individual deviation. And I would define sexual license as relaxation of draconian standards, not as rape.

A hijack: Could some PA doper give me a breakdown of how this whackjob came to be elected? I’ve only ever been to Philly, but I don’t think of PA as an especially right-wing state, and especially not a place that would elect such an overt bigot. Was the opposition ticket split in some way? Does he hand out pork like Halloween candy? Is he likely to get reelected?

Hmmmm…maybe Santorum doesn’t know the history of the US?

For instance, that Boston was the destination of oh, lots and lots, of Irish Catholic immigrants, as well as Italian Catholics etc? So that one reason the abuse scandals were more prevalent there was because–oh, I dunno–maybe there is a larger Catholic population there?

Chicago did not escape the abuse scandals–and there are a whole mess o’ Catholics here, as well. How to 'splain Chicago’s scandal?

Oops–IL is a Blue state. With an Irish Catholic as mayor of the Windy City…

Damn that Santorum! Foiled again!

:rolleyes:

Yo-Keystoners–please vote him the hell out of office! He is am embarassment to your fine state.

Simple definitions just to end the hijack:
Celibacy is/implies sleeping only with your wife/husband.

Chastity is/implies sleeping with nobody.

Chastity is being completely abstinent, no sex, period. Celibacy means no marriage.

I think.

Don’t bother e-mailing Darth Santorum. I did once, blasting him for those “Man on dog” comments. I got a form letter in the mail thanking me for my support in the fight against the Gay AgendaTM. Fucking tosser.

He is an evil, hateful, disgusting excuse of a human being.

Because, as everyone knows, the Catholic Church is so well known for embracing liberal ideals and behavior.

And BTW- http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=celibacy

1. Abstinence from sexual intercourse, especially by reason of religious vows.
  2. The condition of being unmarried.
    So, both definitions apply, as per the Catholic Church, no marriage = no sex.

From the Catechism:

<< 2349 “People should cultivate [chastity] in the way that is suited to their state of life. Some profess virginity or consecrated celibacy which enables them to give themselves to God alone with an undivided heart in a remarkable manner. Others live in the way prescribed for all by the moral law, whether they are married or single.” Married people are called to live conjugal chastity; others practice chastity in continence:

There are three forms of the virtue of chastity: the first is that of spouses, the second that of widows, and the third that of virgins. We do not praise any one of them to the exclusion of the others. . . . This is what makes for the richness of the discipline of the Church. >>

======================================================
Celibacy: formally choosing a vocation or way of life that excludes sex
Chastity: being sexually moral (no adultery or fornication) in whatever your current situation is

''If you have a world view that I’m describing [about Boston] . . . that affirms alternative views of sexuality, that can lead to a lot of people taking it the wrong way," Santorum said.

You know, say what you will about Santorum’s whacked out viewpoint. But he really is the king of the one-liners.

Take heart!

From The Carpetbagger Report, a liberal blog heartily recommended by your correspondent from the conservative wing of the xtremeleft.

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/

Santorum bought a new book?

(Insert “coloring inside the lines” joke here)