Santorum - What is WITH this hump?

Santorum tries to link liberalism to the Church sex abuse scandal

• WASHINGTON - In a rare personal attack on the Senate floor, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy accused Sen. Rick Santorum on Wednesday of being self-righteous and insensitive for a column he wrote three years ago linking Boston’s liberalism to the sex abuse scandal in its Catholic diocese.

Santorum, R-Pa., wrote in the July 2002 column for Catholic Online that promoting alternative lifestyles feeds such aberrant behavior as priests molesting children.

“Priests, like all of us, are affected by culture,” Santorum wrote. “When the culture is sick, every element in it becomes infected. While it is no excuse for this scandal, it is no surprise that Boston, a seat of academic, political and cultural liberalism in America, lies at the center of the storm.” *
I am continually amazed at how, even now, idiots are still deliberately linking homosexuality to pedophilia, and Santorum’s homophobia is well documented. And to link it with academic liberalism?

Meanwhile, our Governor (God love him) came to our defense: :dubious:

• Romney defends
    Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican who — like Santorum — has been mentioned as a possible presidential candidate in 2008, called the remarks unfortunate but did not ask for an apology, said spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom.

“Senator Santorum is a fine person, and we’re all entitled to make a mistake once in a while,” Fehrnstrom said. *
So, the political dance begins…

This topic was raked over, pretty well, in the BBQ Pit last week in the thread Santorum - Boston liberalism cause of priest scandal.

Now, I have no problem with a separate discussion on the topic in Great Debates, but I’d like to see an actual argument advanced for debate, here. Is there a specific point for discussion? Or should I close this thread so that you can add your views to the Pit thread?

[ /Modding off ]

Sorry, I tend to stay out of the pit… I’ll check that out.

thanks,
plynck

[QUOTE=Plynck* Romney defends
Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican who — like Santorum — has been mentioned as a possible presidential candidate in 2008, called the remarks unfortunate but did not ask for an apology, said spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom.

“Senator Santorum is a fine person, and we’re all entitled to make a mistake once in a while,” Fehrnstrom said. *[/QUOTE]

That’s a pretty weak defence, in my opinion. I mean, it’s not like I’d expect Romney to match some of the comments I’ve seen in the pit thread, but Santorum has done a lot more than “make a mistake once in a while.” This is is just part of the steady stream of bile Santorum’s been spewing for years.