Satanic Monument for Oklahoma State Capitol

I really hope that this is for real, and not a hack:

There are pictures at the site:

This is evidently being raised as a sort of protest:

After all, you really SHOULD insure your Satanic statues, against intended or unintended damage.

They should remove/not build the monuments to the Ten Commandments, Baphomet, FSM, Festivus,whatever and replace it with something the people behind these monument pushes have in common: a bronze fantasy troll, sitting at a computer in his mom’s basement.

Well which is it? Pagan or Satanists? I’m sure some Pagans or Wiccans would love to read that.
I love how Baphomet is used by both Satanists and Fundamentalists as = Satan. This figure dates back to the “ancient Bible days” (AD 11th century), and was mainly used to slander the Templars so that the French King could get their gold.

Not sure what you mean by “hack,” but as far as I’ve read they’re akin to the FSM - atheist, secular, or at least non-specific in beliefs. This is the Temple of Satan, not LaVeyans and certainly not demon worshipers, I will bet. It is of no matter. They will all fall to Great Lord Cthulhu.

Earlier story in the NY Daily News (Jan 7, 2014). In it, Greaves says

“The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation.”

As a more-or-less animist, I appreciate the goaty aspects of the statue and really hope it comes to pass. I totally want a selfie on Baphomet’s lap!

I particularly liked this part of the story : “Similar requests for monuments have been made by a Hindu leader in Nevada, an animal rights group and the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.”

ETA : On its website, the Satanic Temple explains that it “seeks to separate Religion from Superstition by acknowledging religious belief as a metaphorical framework with which we construct a narrative context for our goals and works. Satan stands as the ultimate icon for the selfless revolt against tyranny, free & rational inquiry, and the responsible pursuit of happiness,”.

They stated their purpose is to try to get the Ten Commandments removed, rather than to honor what the figure is supposed to mean according to their religion. I’d definitely call it a hack.

Only the FSM is trickier, since the figure exists as a satire of religion. Baphomet is supposed to be a symbol for the literary narrative of their form of Satanism.

They may not be LaVeyans, but the principles they espouse still have little to do with Satan, so I still believe their name exists as a way to troll. And I will always be against trolls, whether I think they have a point or not.

If it wasn’t for such troll religions, I think we could actually have icons from multiple religious icons in public places without incident.

Not a chance. The Christian conservatives want their religion and no other to be pushed on people. It’s the same reason you don’t see a class on religion in general in public schools; it’s not because of the evil atheists and “pagans”, it’s because the fundies will never tolerate any talk of religion in school except pushing Christianity to the exclusion of all else. A general course on religion is politically unacceptable and what the fundies want is unconstitutional, so schools avoid educating kids about religion at all.

The whole point of putting up Christian monuments is to rub it in people’s faces that America is a Christian country, and that non-Christians are regarded as traitors and vermin. Which means that putting up anything else both undercuts the purpose and is a slap in the face in Christianity. Which it is; Christianity is a monotheism, acknowledging other religions as anything other than something to be destroyed is a blow against it.

Somehow I’ve managed to never hear or see the name Baphomet until I saw that article. So I googled it of course, to get some background on the subject.

Here is what I learned.

Uhhhhh… Ignorance fought, I guess. :slight_smile:

Here in Alabama, we’ve had our own “Satanic” sculpture since 1991. :wink:
http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Storyteller_fountain

[Previous thread](Satanists propose monument to the Dark Lord on Oklahoma State Capitol grounds) from this January.

As both a Christian and a foe of religious monuments on public property, I wholeheartedly approve.

The guy’s name is “Lucian Greaves”? Seriously? Sounds Hollywood to me.

Bumped.

Something similar in Illinois: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/06/us/satanic-statue-illinois-trnd/index.html

I like that one. It’s elegant and thought-provoking. It expanded my consciousness, which is something great art can do.

And who gets to decide what is a “troll religion” and what is legitimate? Mike Pence?

On a somewhat related note, thislooks an awful lot like Satanist trolling as well.

Happy Holidays indeed.

Regards,
Shodan

Everyone knows that the boss is not supposed to screw around with subordinates. And who is a bigger boss than God? Zeus doing it doesn’t make it right.

Happy Holidays also.

I fully support the #MeToo movement. And while we all must support Mary and applaud her courage, we need to consider all sides here. Let’s not be too quick to Judge.

God has worked in his current position for a long, long, time. Abuse, assault, torture, rape, and murder of women was commonplace back when he started . So please consider that he is merely a “man of his times”. Also, God has a lot of Children to support. If he was fired how would they survive?

Are we really going to allow our Eternal Creator to be taken down by accusations of a teenager? Without a fair trial? Will Facebook posts and the court of public opinion"
destroy yet another white Man?

#MeGod

ETA:

It is. His real name is Doug Misicko. He adopted the pseudonym “Lucian Greaves” when he co-founded The Satanic Temple, to protect himself. However, he mentions his real name on his website, which is why I gave it here.

I’ve heard him interviewed - he’s an articulate and intelligent advocate for skepticism, church-state separation, and secularism. The Satanic Temple does good work.

ETA: Brilliant, I Love Me, Vol. I.