I’m a natural redhead, somewhat a surprise to my dark-haired, brown-eyed, easily-tanned parents. There have been no redheads on either parent’s side in recent memory. Even more surprising, my brother is a redhead too.
My heritage is primarily English/Scottish, with German and French.
We’re unusual, in that we both have brown eyes. I’m the redder-haired of the two of us, my brother having darker skin, few freckles, and hair darkened by his twenties to brown, with a red beard.
So I’m a brown-eyed redhead, lightly freckled. My hair was never bright orange, but rather a slightly darker copper. My eyebrows and eyelashes are dark brown. Wherever I went as a child, adults praised my haircolor. Kids teased me a bit at school, but not as much as the strongly freckled redheads.
By my thirties, my hair had darkened almost to brown. It took me 15 years after that to realize that I was the only person who thought of me as a redhead, so I began getting my hair highlighted with copper, blending with my darkened hair. Having red hair is a huge part of my identity, a source of pride, and it saddened me to realize I was losing that distinction.
I have a fiery temperament (this can be good and bad), and am a Highly Sensitive Person. My kids are both Highly Sensitive, and one of them has reddish hair, but not true red, and not freckled.
I’ve noticed something about redhead comraderie, but wonder if I’m the only one. When out in public I’m quick to notice other redheads, and always give them a smile, as if we’re sort of a secret society, aware of each other due to our rarity. Have any of you noticed that? At my UU church we have an unusually large percentage of reheads, and we tend to sit in a clump on the same side (don’t know why).
My dermatologist explained allergic sensitivity to me, that many redheads have allergies, skin sensitivity, and thus are called “atopes”. As a group, atopes are more intelligent than non-atopes.
It’s not fun being a redhead in Southern California, where tan is the skewed standard of beauty. I recall Bonnie Raitt making that same observation in an interview many years ago. She is also of Scottish descent, IIRC.