Scots Song/Poem. Identify, please.

The lyrics/verses I heard clearly…

The rest of the song refers to a “beast”, & it may be linked to Loch Ness, or even Nessie.

It was set to music that sounded rather like the few traditional Scots ballads I’ve heard performed, & the singer (in the video I heard the song in) was a young woman, riding a horse of the shores of Loch Ness.

The entire song/poem was not performed.

Help, please?

A link to the complete verses, or even just the name of the song/poem would be lovely.

Bump, for the weekday crowd.

My last attempt. :frowning:

I tried checking www.mudcat.org but their site’s down for a week or two. Once they’re back, they have a link to the Digital Traditions webpage, which has a lot of folk songs in it. Here’s a mirror of the database, but it might be out of date (I didn’t find what you’re looking for)

The problem is, I’m not sure either. I don’t have a title, & it miight not even be traditional. Could have been cooked up for the 19th Century music halls.

If the song is specifically about the Loch Ness monster, it’s not a folk song; it’s twentieth century. I thought it might be a traditional song about water horses or selkies or something, with just the video on Loch Ness.

However, a google search turned up some reference to a Japanese movie or tv show called Lupin III in translation. There is a song sung by a female character called Fujiko during a plot about capturing Nessie.

Was there a lyric like, “I just glimpsed a beast with two backs through the foggy dew”?

A brief plot summary- Go to Episode 4, “I Can Hear Nessie’s Singing.”

Yes, sugaree, that’s where I first heard the verses. But I’d swear that I’ve heard the tune before.

So, where did this come from?

Damn. All that googling for nothing! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m lost. The lyrics did not sound traditional to me, but in this case, they may be Scots or English translated to Japanese translated to English (or not- was it subtitled or dubbed?). Or new lyrics popped onto a traditional Scottish tune (is that common in anime?). If the lyrics specifically reference Nessie, they at least are not traditional, but that doesn’t mean that the tune isn’t.

If you don’t get an answer here, you might want to try one of the anime or folk music communities.

Well, a song could be about the Loch Ness Monster without necessarily being 20th century. Supposed “sightings” go back to the time of St. Colomba.

Sorry, though, I have no idea about the song - line someone quoted about the beast with two back and the foggy dew somehow suggsts to me that the song may be a joke-song or a parody of folk song, in which case I wonder whether a “filk” site might help.

Well, the song will bug me all day now - so I’ll have fun looking too.

Shame re. Mudcat being down. :frowning:

The fact that it is sung by a character whose name translates as “Tits like Mt. Fuji” makes me think the same…still could be set to a traddy tune. Bosca, let us know if you ever find it.

You could try to write to the Ohno (spelling off) gentleman who is credited with the music.

A…parody. :eek:
A…parody! :eek: :eek:

I thought it was legit…

I"VE BEEN CONNED BY LUPIN THE 3RD!!! :smack: :smack: :mad:
Fujiko! --it was that “sweet & innocent” context…

SHE VAMPED ME!!!

…just like all the others…:smack:

Oh well. At least I got taken by the best…

IIRC, the lyrics Fujiko sang were:

Mother, Father please believe me,
Every word is true.
I saw a beast with two backs
Through the foggy dew.

It must have swallowed Jack and Susie
For I heard their cries…

I don’t think either Fujiko or Lupin ever got past that point in the song–possibly no more lyrics exist. I haven’t been able to find them on any of the folk/filk/parody sites.

Maybe I’ll finish them. It would make a good, rude (but innocent-sounding) song to sing at a Faire. :slight_smile:

A small present for you,** Bosda Di’Chi of Tricor** although it won’t make up for the disappoinment.

http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~gully/Poetry/lochness.html

Well, I am pleased with the answer - it means I don’t need to feel so stupid for not knowing a Scottish song. :slight_smile:

Oddly enough, I rented the Lupin the 3rd DVD yesterday and am watching that episode (the one about Loch Ness and the song) at this exact moment. So, if you have a quick question about it, I can answer pretty quickly.

Also, I don’t know if this helps, but it’s a neat site anyway:

http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/index.php

check the extra feature for possible info, if you can, please?

Special features are sparse, only line art and previews. However, on recommendation of some site that I read the other day, I turned on subtitles, both to transcribe and to see the difference between the words used to match the mouths and the actual translation.

Fujiko sings:

Mother father please believe me
Every word is true
I just glimped a beast with two backs
through the foggy dew
I fear it swallowed Jack and Susie
For I heard the …

While the subtitles say:

A boy and a girl in a wheat field
smooching around, isn’t that cute?
Though I have no lover…

hmmm…

maybe it’s a folk tune, or at least a long-standing dirty drinking song, after all…

Also:

• Dr. Oz refers to the song as a Scottish folk song in the subtitles.

• Lupin sings underwater:

Mommy daddy please believe me
This guy’s really not (?)
And his face is like a (garbled)
Find a matching pot…

Subtitles:
A boy and a girl in the water
soaking wet…

Hmmm…