Scrapple: finally tried it this evening

Living in the Midwest, I had heard of it but never seen it for sale, and found a brick of it in the freezer case at Schnuck’s several months ago. I decided to take one for the team, purchased it, and it languished in my freezer until yesterday, when I decided to let it thaw and cooked it this evening.

It was delicious! It definitely smelled and tasted much better than it looked. I cooked it in a cast-iron pan that I heated up in the oven and poured in about 1/4 inch of cooking oil; it fell apart but that’s OK; it still tasted the same.

I’ll definitely look for it again.

:cool:

If you don’t know, it’s a Pennsylvania Dutch creation made from pig “innards”, which doesn’t bother me at all.

Yeah, I grew up in the mid-Atlantic and scrapple was a regular feature at breakfast. My grandparents used to keep hogs and would make fresh scrapple when they slaughtered them, it was so good. It’s kind of like sausage without the casing. My wife has never had it and I keep meaning to buy some one of these days.

Unlike a lot of other sausages, it’s also made with cornmeal.

So, kind of the pork version of haggis?

I love haggis, but have never seen scrapple around here. I’d certainly try it though.

I had it once, many years ago. I liked it - and I recall describing it as “sausage flavored bread.”

It’s like a sausage without the casing and with a lot of breading filler (in this case cornmeal). It often is spicy and goes great with eggs.

I’m in the Philly suburbs so it’s pretty common around here. I don’t eat it very often (it’s not exactly health food) but it’s very good.

I still haven’t tried it, but I recall being horrified the first time I learned what the ingredients were; especially the fact that it doesn’t contain any apples.

If blame Gerry Mulligan.

Scrapple gets a shout out in a couple of episodes of The Wire, one time a Baltimore County homicide detective says to Jimmy “buy me some scrapple, sailor?” another time Jimmy asks a diner waitress if he can get scrapple and she says “you can get whatever you want,” and they end up sleeping together. David Simon clearly has some complicated issues with scrapple.

I have now exhausted my scrapple facts (not to be confused with Snapple Facts).

Ah, scrapple - made with the parts of pigs too disgusting to use for sausages.

Not a fan, but if it makes you happy go for it.

Scrapple is my default example of how easy it is to prepare tasty foods when you don’t give the slightest XXXX about limiting your salt and fat intake.

I love scrapple and tend to eat it at least once a week during the colder months of the year.

It sounded pretty awful until I got to this post.

A world that includes “sausage flavored bread” is a far, far better world.

I was under the impression that nothing was too disgusting to go into sausages.

I ate a lot of it back when I was at Villanova. Back then, it was fine, but then again, back then I had a 20-year-old’s digestive system. Nowadays, it’d probably give me killer heartburn, at least.

Scrapple is a breakfast staple where I grew up in South Jersey. It’s best served with sunny-side-up or over-easy eggs. But, for breakfast-on-the-go, you can’t go wrong with a scrapple & ketchup toasted sandwich. You can throw in a fried egg, but the yolk will drip onto your pants in the car. Not a problem if you wear yellow pants, though.

I got nervous when I moved to the South, but good ol’ Publix Supermarket sells it. Can’t tell you how many times cashiers and baggers picked up my brick, examined it and asked, “jeepers, what in tarnations is this?” (or, words to that effect). I reply, “oh, it’s just the tastiest breakfast meat on the planet—yooz guys oughta try it.” I usually get thanked when I see them again. I enlighten them to fine culinary delights of cheesesteaks and hoagies, too.

It’s my job to turn the South into Philly II

I had it once, on a road trip through Pennsylvania.

Which reminds me, where is that thread about textures you can’t stand?

That would be the “Canadian Bacon” thread, I believe.

Honestly, I’m kind of surprised it’s not better known in the South.

But then, I’m also continually amazed at how hard it is to find a proper cheesesteak outside of the Delaware Valley. It’s really, really simple. Grill and chop the meat (which doesn’t even need to be good quality), maybe chop in some onion or (if you’re feeling crazy) mushrooms), melt a few slices of cheese on top, slice a firm, crusty roll most of the way through, put the roll down on top of the meat and melted cheese, flip it all over with a spatula. Done. You don’t need any vegetables, or condiments, or sauces, or dips, or any of that other fancy stuff. Just beef, cheese, and bun.

You get a demerit for the mushrooms!

I make cheesesteaks at least a couple times/month. I’m a heathen and actually prefer Cheese Whiz to provolone. My nephew (the fancy chef) uses Cooper Sharp cheese—that’s pretty good, too.

Want a good Philly-style soft pretzel? They’re easy to make (and infinity better than the frozen ones from the grocery):

Ingredients
Pizza dough (pre-made from store is fine. Publix makes excellent pizza dough)
Flour
Corn meal
2 Tbsps Baking soda (need the alkalinity to texture the outer pretzel)
Water
Course-grain salt

Flour the dough, cut into strips and twist into pretzel shapes. Or if your too drunk to twist, simply form dough rings, like this guy.

Pour baking soda into ~1 quart of water and bring to a simmering boil. Boil dough pieces for 60 seconds (flip after 30). Place on baking pan sprinkled with corn meal. Sprinkle salt on top. Bake 20 minutes at 400f. Serve with yellow mustard. They taste like the real deal!

I recently tried Spam for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. I bought it specifically to make Spam Musubi, which was great, but also diced and fried it for an omelet.