Screamers Mafia

peeker is going to get me killed for talking to you too much, but an additional datapoint about OreDigger is the fact that he took the fairly distinctive approach of pushing OaOW to claim (in post 250).

Anyway. peeker, I’m sure you’re sick of getting prodded by me, but can you explain why a pro-town Doc who was given the secret knowledge that there were multiple docs would think it in town’s best interest to reveal that secret info? I can think of a sparkling scum motivation to drop that nugget, but I’m not so sure about how it could help town.

NETA: Just realized I left Thing Fish out of my summation. Just fighting insomnia now and about to head to bed so I’ll work from memory, which is that TF also doesn’t have a whole lot of posts to work from. He did provide the “who posted?” link which I’ve been using heavily ever since.

His reason for voting peeker was pretty forthrightly a “me, too” - plus to break a string of 5 straight voters for DB. (in #423). Fairly shortly before Oredigger voted for peeks.

What does INC mean?

And here I was, thinking you were pretty damn good at this game. When we’re both dead, you’ll have to tell me what the hell you thought you were up to, claiming Doc Day One.

And because I think this Drain Bead wagon is completely bullshit, and I want to have some sort of vote in, I’ll go with the next best argument (that being Peeker’s)

vote: Tom Scud

Check that. Actually, Scuddy’s got a better argument. (And, yes, I know how silly this looks, but it’s Day One)

unvote: Scuddy
vote: Oredigger

Wow, this game is moving on quickly.

Ok, so we have a pair of claims from Drain Bead and peekercpa and a suggestion of how to play out the rest of today. I don’t agree with Drain Bead’s suggestions for Night time actions. Leave it to the power roles themselves should they exist.

I’ve looked back over peeker’s posts but can’t find him referencing multiple docs, can you show where it is, my peeker decoder is on the fritz.

The part where he says he is A Doc, emphasising the A. In contrast to THE Doc.

Frankly, that part has me stratching my head. Claiming Doc on Day 1 when not the vote leader, though not far from it, could be argued to have its merits. Time to analyse claims, votes swing quickly, etc etc. But announcing to the world there are multiple Docs? At this stage in the game?

Either he is telling the truth and is one of several Docs, is telling the truth about being a Doc but is the only Doc, or is a Scum. Let’s see:

One of multiple Docs: if it is true, the claim kind of makes sense. If the other Doc(s) believe him they can protect him, leaving him free from the burden of selfprotection. That is a big if, though.
The only Doc: this makes sense from the game balance point of view, but I can’t imagine why peeker would say this if it isn’t true. I will give him enough credit to assume he hasn’t misread his role PM. I can’t get my head around this option.
Lying Scum: works out great if a Town Doc turns up dead. Could be Scum providing insurance against a claim. Also could be Scum fishing for the real Doc.
Scum Doctor: it happens, though only makes sense in a 3 way. If there is a serial killer this is a possibility, though remote.

One thing to keep in mind, if there are multiple Docs, we would be less hurt if we were to lose one than if we only had the one. Not that I am advocating this, but lynching the claimed Doc on Day 1 should not be ruled off entirely because of this. Either peeker is lying, so LAL, or he is honest, so we have backup Docs.

Also something to consider - if Town has 2 Docs and they are both capable of protecting right now (ie, no backup Doc to take over if Doc dies) then the Scum would almost certainly have a roleblocker. Otherwise it is potentially game breaking.

@Peeker - By saying “A DOC” are you actually implying there are multiple doctors in this game? Or was it just wording?

I need a response to that before I can comment on the claim.

Here’s the exact quote:

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Has anyone ever been in a game with two full docs? It seems ridiculously overpowered, but in a game this large I suppose I could see it, if it was balanced by the scum having a lot of powers too.

It seems like the new thing whenever any two players get into the thick of it is to accuse the fight of being staged by scum. I know it happens, but in my experience it is much rarer than town-v-town. However, it is a great way to appear to be actively casting suspicions about without much downside. I think Tom Scud’s case has some merit. I’m still happy with my vote but I would like to see Oredigger’s response to Tom.

Ok, I took this to mean he was claiming Doc, but because it is closed setup he can’t comment on any other roles that may or may not exist.

If he had said THE doc, that would imply extra knowledge of roles.

Then again, it could just be peekercpa’s wording.

Fair enough, your claim was hidden away in the middle of the post and I missed it. The game is moving very fast and I’m having difficulty finding the time to keep up at the moment.

Unvote

jpeg (2): OAoW, TxtKitty
Mot Scud(1): peekra
The One and Only(1): Da’Chronic
Pecear(4): Gruff, Nook, Ting Phish, Oredigger
Normal Faze (1): Braid Dean
The Dread Bean (6): amrussett, Abnormal Phase, DaphkneeBlack, Freudian Skit, wiltatwirl, UPSDriver
Borerigger(2): Boozy, Scuddy

Psst! Oredigger should definitely be Golddigger

I think the case against Oredigger is relatively strong. I see it as scum pushing a bandwagon on a townie but then putting a vote elsewhere so as not to get caught when voting records are later examined. There were “a bunch” (ha!) of outright smudges on me, but no putting the money where the mouth is. Of course, after this I expect he’ll move his vote to me, especially since he doesn’t appear to have been here to move his vote on peeker post-claim, but at least it’s forcing him to take a stand and back up all his statements.

unvote Normal Phase
vote Oredigger

unvote peeker. No reason not to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, though I’m still very suspicious. Further review has strengthened my initial impression that the **Drain Bead **wagon was bogus and possibly scum-motivated, and now comes peeker with a claim that is not only non-verifiable but conveniently packaged with a disclaimer that he is only a Doctor in order to forestall counterclaims; power role PMs don’t usually come with notes about how many other people have the same roles. Unless something happens to confirm him, I will definitely be looking at peekytoe again come midgame.

More to come…

Unvote Drain Bead. With peekercpa, M.D. very likely to avoid Day 1 lynch on the basis of his role claim I would like to take some of the pressure off of DB. I failed to take a hard look at how her bandwagon got rolling before casting my vote and I’ll start by evaluating Tom Scud’s Oredigger analysis.

(I will be AFK until tonight).

Means I don’t have enough information to evaluate you.

Which btw is NOT an accusation of lurking; you’ve weighed in on the two controversies of the day, it’s a fast-moving game, you’re on another time zone where there isn’t as much chance of a back-and-forth, and from the other game I’ve played with you you’re not a high-volume poster anyway. But I’m not willing to say “Town” based on what I’ve seen so far.

It does look like Oredigger was pushing the Drain Bead wagon and then backing off. I’m not sure I’m ready to vote for him yet – I’d like to hear what he has to say, but for now I will

unvote Drain Bead.

I remain suspicious of her, and I would still like to hear why she was so anti-scum/PFKs finding each other (I don’t think she ever really addressed that). I may well re-vote her depending on what she and Oredigger have to say today.

I hate feeling like I’m being manipulated, and I am really getting that feeling right now, but I guess that’s an occupational hazard of playing Mafia.

What strikes me is that if every bandwagon is derailed by someone saying ‘ooh looks like scum trying to save (other person gathering suspicion)’ then every time a scum gathers votes it will be easy to force townies off one bandwagon – and onto another one, perhaps. Oredigger looks to have been doing that here.

I don’t think a bandwagon is necessarily always going to be scummy or driven by scum. The Drain Bead case wasn’t the strongest ever but for day one it isn’t the worst ever.