Screw France

I added a joke to the cheese eating surrender monkey thread, but this contains no humor at all. k2dave, I suspect you’re an asshole.

Thank fuck for allies who are prepared to tell you when they think you’re wrong. That’s what friends are for.

When you hear the words “cheese-eating surrender-monkeys”, what’s the first thing that comes to mind?

Message board morons?
Elephants?
Jingoistic chest-thumping morons?

Nope. France

No, the first thing that comes to my mind is “fuck off you racist wank”

Ummm…

“French” is now a race? Did I miss the memo?

Now hold on a sec there, Gary. “Racist”?

Jingoistic? Sure. Ethnocentric? Yup. Moron? Quite conceivably.

But “racist”? I mean, I never have seen the “French” box on a college application, nor do I recall that box under “race” in the census a few years back. So come on now. “Racist”?

In regards to “cheese-eating surrender monkeys”: It was funny when Homer said it. Homer Simpson is a highly-trained professional moron. Do not attempt these stunts at home. Or on message boards.

And Dammit Buck! Ya beat me to it!:stuck_out_tongue:

Miss one? Fuck, judging by your idea of a good joke, I’d say you missed a whole fucking bunch of them.
From Merriam Webster

If that’s not enough,how about the Cambridge dictionary:

Would you like me to explain in further detail, or is it starting to sink in?

By the power not vested in me by anyone, I call upon certain posters to lighten the fuck up.

Do not trifle with zee French, or the Queen of France will crush you all like a Parisian squeezing an overripe lump of Rocquefort! Even as we sit by and idly chatter, she is mobilizing her vast army of unwashed gourmands!

This thread is absurd so I’m takin’ it and runnin’ with it.

Now, now, let’s try to find some common ground. I think we can all agree that:

A) The French are really a pretty good buncha people with an only mildly disturbing fixation on dairy products.

B) Cultural stereotypes are wrong, even if they are funny.

C) Nobody likes a Belgian.

Can we not at least agree on this much?

Can’t we all just get along and nuke the Swiss and steal their gold?

Oh fer Christ’s sake, not again.

Michael Ellis,

I’m going to call it as I see it. I don’t see the humour in what he said.

You shouldn’t be: only asshats condemn entire nations based on the behaviour of a few.

If ‘us’ is the United States acting in accordance with international law, I’d like to think that, on balance, I’m with you. If ‘us’ is k2dave, I couldn’t be more against you.

If you’re sending someone to screw me, I’m usually free on Wednesday afternoons.

blood civil servants.

This ‘with us or against us’ sentiment espoused by Bush and k2dave is faintly moronic. How and why would you deny the option of neutrality to anyone who chose it?

I’m still hoping this was a skillfully executed lampoon.

Dave? Dave?

Ain’t gonna argue with you, but I have to add that it seems a rather bullying message.

I really hate bullies

or perhaps:

or even

DECONSTRUCTION OF THE PATTERN:

A) Equinanimous statement, with an undeniable generalization about a group of people

B) Loophole statement (“Hey! I said stereotypes are wrong! I ain’t a bigot!”)

C) Further generalization about a sub-group.

I make no assumption about how Miller intended his post: the original can be taken either satirically, or seriously. I merely point out that this set of comments can be used to illustrate the idiocy of stereo-type humor.