SD Rock & Roll HoF nomination thread-1960

Rules:

(1) What, exactly, qualifies as “rock and roll” will be defined by the Doper community as they nominate & vote (tho my own subjective hope is that the net becomes rather wide).

(2) We will have two rounds per year-starting in 1960. The first round will be the nomination round, and will run for a week, followed by the voting round, which will be done using the polling feature on the board, which will also run for a week. [This time period may be sped up as we go…]

(3) Nominations: a Doper can nominate up to FIVE artists, but they must have released at least one record on or before that year. I’d recommend Rate Your Music as a comprehensive resource for such things. For that artist to get on the final ballot, TWO OTHER Dopers must second and third said nomination.

(4) Final Poll: You can vote for as many artists as you wish (well, the software won’t of course let me do it any other way). To be inducted, an artist must get at least 75% of the vote. Poll will be public.

(5) Carryovers: Any artist which garners 20% or more of the vote in the previous year will be automatically put onto next year’s ballot. Any artist which does not reach this cutoff however can be re-nominated the next year.

(6) I am of two minds when it comes to nominating solo artists who already “got in” as part of a group (c.f. Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground). Since I dislike arbitrary rules, I’ll probably be rather liberal over this, unless it becomes a big issue. In such a case the solo artist must be considered for nomination/election for only those works released as a solo artist.

(7) New “years” will become eligible for a new vote when the -25 year mark is reached. I.e. the last vote, if we get that far next year, will be for 1990. In 2016, we’ll have a new round for 1991, and onwards if the interest remains of course…

(8) The above rules may be subject to revision as we go and certain bugs/features reveal themselves.

I’ll only nominate one, since I am not an expert on music from this period:

Buddy Holly
Nomination deadline for 1960 will be 12 noon EST Monday Dec 29th.

Well, as I was crafting this thread, the RYM website decided to revert to a more “primitive” HTML code, which meant (checked on both Firefox and Chrome) that the search function (among other things) no longer works. Wikipedia is also fine as a resource of course…

I’ll Second Buddy Holly.

Dunno if I get 4 or 5 additional nominations, but:
Bo Diddley
Link Wray
Bill Haley
Little Richard

Third for Buddy Holly.

Second for Bo Diddley and Little Richard.

Nominate Chuck Berry.

Thirding Little Richard and Bo Diddley

Seconding Chuck Berry and Link Wray

Nominating:

Elvis Presley
Ray Charles
James Brown
The Drifters
Jerry Lee Lewis

Well, I’d say ALL of the acts inducted in the first class of the real RRHOF were deserving. Those acts were:

Chuck Berry
James Brown
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
Fats Domino
The Everly Brothers
Buddy Holly
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Elvis Presley

Those are all no-brainers, in my opinion.

Others I deem worthy:

Pat Boone (I know, I know, much of his music was REALLY lame… but he was the second biggest music star of the Fifites and INTRODUCED rock and roll to millions of people)

Eddie Cochrane

Bobby Darin

Little Willie John

Louis Jordan (who was playing what I’d call “rock and roll” before the term was in wide use)

Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller

Roy Orbison

Carl Perkins

The Platters

Jackie Wilson

Five nominees?

Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Jackie Wilson
Little Richard
Lieber/Stoller

Holding the first round to five will be hard. There’s a lot of talent out there. Though I’ll confess I’m for a strict/high bar. Make it a true meritocracy and some of the folks I like quite a bit ain’t gonna make it.

Second Eddie Cochrane, Carl Perkins, and Roy Orbison.

Third Elvis Presley and Link Wray.

New nominations:

Les Paul
Dick Dale
Smokey Robinson

1960 and before? I’d go with my standing list of 5 early rock heavies.

Elvis Presley
Jerry Lee Lewis
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Little Richard

Come to think of it, I’d like to work Carl Perkins in there, but I don’t know who to eliminate to make room for him.

Maybe it’s like the original Baseball Hall of Fame. They knew there were a lot of worthy candidates and let some slide. Or the first class could be wider than subsequent ones.

Yeah! We get Link nominated on the first ballot! I knew we were smarter than those jerks in Cleavland!

I like your nominations, but I don’t think Dick Dale is going to eligible before 1962. That’s the release date of his first album, at least.

I’ll nominate two of the pieces that were a part of the whole rock and roll thing coming together:

Woody Guthrie
Robert Johnson

We could toss in the likes of Hank Williams and Big Joe Turner, too.

I second Hank Williams and Big Joe Turner.

Like I said, subject to change-I’ll see how it shakes out in a day or so and might up it to 10 (as in add 5 more which have not been nominated yet)…

Since this is the inaugural year, I hereby expand the number of nominees allowed by each Doper to 10. Seconds or thirds do NOT count against those unique to your own nomination list-if you had already nominated someone who had been nominated earlier, you get another (as yet unmentioned artist) to add to your own list.
Morning Summary:

3 Nominations (qualified):

Buddy Holly
Bo Diddley
Little Richard
Elvis Presley
Link Wray

2 Nominations (needs one more):

Hank Williams
Big Joe Turner
Little Richard
Chuck Berry

1 Nomination (needs two more):

Woody Guthrie
Robert Johnson
Les Paul
Smokey Robinson
Jerry Lee Lewis
Jackie Wilson
Lieber/Stoller
If I missed anyone, please let me know (battling a head cold that has worsened in the last day or so…).

You’re spot on about his first album release, but by 1960, Dick Dale had already released three pre-surf-rock singles.

Those early singles were released on Dale’s own label (Deltone), but they were distributed nationally by Capitol Records.

Thirds for these:
Little Richard
Chuck Berry
Seconds for these:
Robert Johnson
Jerry Lee Lewis

Second for Smokey Robinson and Robert Johnson.

Johnson thus is thirded.