(1) What, exactly, qualifies as “rock and roll” will be defined by the Doper community as they nominate & vote (tho my own subjective hope is that the net becomes rather wide).
(2) We will have two rounds per year-starting in 1960. The first round will be the nomination round, and will run for a week, followed by the voting round, which will be done using the polling feature on the board, which will also run for a week. [This time period may be sped up as we go…]
(3) Nominations: a Doper can nominate up to FIVE artists, but they must have released at least one record on or before that year. I’d recommend Rate Your Music as a comprehensive resource for such things. For that artist to get on the final ballot, TWO OTHER Dopers must second and third said nomination.
(4) Final Poll: You can vote for as many artists as you wish (well, the software won’t of course let me do it any other way). To be inducted, an artist must get at least 75% of the vote. Poll will be public.
(5) Carryovers: Any artist which garners 20% or more of the vote in the previous year will be automatically put onto next year’s ballot. Any artist which does not reach this cutoff however can be re-nominated the next year.
(6) I am of two minds when it comes to nominating solo artists who already “got in” as part of a group (c.f. Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground). Since I dislike arbitrary rules, I’ll probably be rather liberal over this, unless it becomes a big issue. In such a case the solo artist must be considered for nomination/election for only those works released as a solo artist.
(7) New “years” will become eligible for a new vote when the -25 year mark is reached. I.e. the last vote, if we get that far next year, will be for 1990. In 2016, we’ll have a new round for 1991, and onwards if the interest remains of course…
(8) The above rules may be subject to revision as we go and certain bugs/features reveal themselves.
I’ll only nominate one, since I am not an expert on music from this period:
Nomination deadline for 1960 will be 12 noon EST Monday Dec 29th.