SDMB Fantasy Football big league (league full)

I’m a Giants fan living in Pittsburgh so I have some flexibility.

That’s four Giants fans for sure already. If we do go by team affiliation, we could maybe have our own division. That said, going by region strikes me as more workable.

Five. I’m a Giants fan from western New York, but I refuse to be categorized with any Bills fans.

So… the issue of draft time.

It’s currently set for Thursday, August 27th at 9pm eastern. I didn’t really put much thought into this, I just had to enter something.

The date is before the third week of preseason, where the starters get the most of their play. Since this is a depth-focused league and I’d like to spread drafts out (I suspect a lot of people will have a draft in the August 30-september 7th range) I don’t have a problem with this date.

But 9pm eastern may be a bit on the late side. I don’t know how long to expect a 20 man draft to take, but it’ll be a while. Are we better off risking east coasters wanting to go to sleep if it drags on, or west coasters missing the beginning if we start earlier? There are arguments for either side - a west coater could miss the first half hour to an hour but prerank his top 30-60 players and get who he wanted to get anyway. Similarly someone who had to go to bed could just fill out the last few slots in their roster with the queue system and go.

I don’t have a strong preference either way. I’m open to suggestions.

It’s more significant to not be able to draft the guys you want specifically in round 1 or 2 than it would be to not draft the 6th receiver you wanted.

Packers or Chargers, whichever works better, if we’re still doing it that way.

True, but it’s much easier to create a queue that will yield a good result for the first three rounds than one that will yield a good result in the mid-to-late rounds (which are always highly dependent on which players you wound up drafting early).

That said, I say screw the East coasters if somebody has to get screwed. Most people won’t mind staying up late to finish their draft, and the first few rounds are the most fun; it would suck to shut some people out of the start of the draft basically by design.

The other issue is the date - given that we’ll really be digging into second and third stringers, it may be more valuable than normal leagues for us to see as much of the preseason as we can. It may actually be better for us to draft sometime after the 4th week of preseason.

I would be on board with that, because i’ve just realized that i’ll be unable to be online during the draft if it’s on Thursday the 27th. And because of the depth of this league, i really want to be there live, rather than just set my list beforehand.

Sunday night is a tough sell because it’s in the middle of Labor Day weekend. Monday night (Labor Day) would conflict with the keeper league, and you have a bunch of people in both.

Tuesday is probably the best bet, but be warned that the automatic “don’t start scoring until week 2” draft cutoff is to finish the draft by 3am Eastern Tuesday morning. (Keeper league will make it by 2 hours.)

As commish you can override that and start scoring week 1. Just be aware that you’ll need to do that if you pick Tuesday night. Personally I would recommend you do Tuesday the 8th at 10:00pm Eastern.

You think YOU have it rough? I’m a Dallas Cowboys fan living just outside of WDC.
Then again, when I lived in TX, I was a Washington Redskins fan. (That is, until they fired Doug.)
Guess I just love the abuse
If we’re still picking teams, put me down for Dallas!

Also, if anybody cares, I’ve changed my team name to Unrelated Siblings.

Well, we’re looking at Monday, August 31st for the All Pro league, and Monday the 7th for the keeper league, and we’ll have to place the auction league, this league, and potentially whatever other league we’d create out of those discussed in the other thread.

Since there are a lot of people in multiple leagues, I’m guessing they don’t want to squash 3-4 drafts into one week. I wouldn’t mind personally, but some might.

Well, it may work. Let’s see:

Monday, Aug 31 All Pro
Tuesday, Sept 1 - Thursday, Sep 3 - one of those days for the auction draft (I assume Friday-Sunday are off limits here being a holiday weekend)
Monday, Sept 7 - keeper league
Tuesday, Sept 8 - Big league
Then somewhere to cram in our other potential league.

Yeah I guess that could work.

Then again, an early draft (after preseason week 2) may not be as big a deal as I’m making it out to be for our league - the third preseason game is known for being the most time starters get, but in this league the focus will be on depth, so we’ll actually see more in weeks 1 and 2 than a standard league would, relatively speaking.

Uh, yeah, scratch that. I’m off by a week on the holiday part.

Wait, what was I thinking? Ignore everything I’ve ever said. I got mixed up.

I like the sound of a Tuesday draft.

Another issue is how big our bench should be. Keeping in mind that every slot means another 20 players taken up.

Standard depth in a 12 team league is 7 bench spots IIRC. In our league, that’d be 140 players on top of the 200 players we’ll already be drafting to fill the starting slots. On one hand, it does reward someone who’s a gem finder in the draft and it’ll allow people a greater choice in playing matchups from week to week, on the other hand it’ll make our free agent list very thin. What do you guys think?

With so many players starting I think a shorter bench would make the most sense. Guys that would have normally been on someone’s bench in a regular league will now be starters, so 4 maybe 5 would probably be a better bench size.

So I went in to change the draft time to reserve our Sep 8 slot… except… when trying to change the date, it brings up the calendar - and all of the valid dates are clickable. But everything from Sep 8 onwards is not a link, meaning you can’t set it as a date for the draft.

I’m confused - live drafts don’t end until sometime in October, so why can’t I select a Sep 8 draft?

Maybe there’s a league setting about scoring in week 1; if you switch it to week 2 maybe the later dates open up.

If that’s the problem, poke around and see if you can figure out whether or not you can retroactively allow scoring in week 1 after the draft.

Hmm, that was a good idea, but it didn’t work. The 8th (and after) is still grayed out.

It wouldn’t be a big problem if we went ahead and drafted on Thursday, August 27th as it’s currently set. The other options (after preseason week 3) are aug 30, or sep 1,3,4,5 or 6. For Sep 1 or 3, people who are in the auction and all-pro leagues would have 3 drafts in 4 days, which is cool with me but I’m not sure how others feel. The 4th, 5th, and 6th are the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of a holiday weekend, so pretty much off limits. I guess Sunday Aug 30 may be okay, since most of the preseason games are played on saturday. Edit: Aug 31 actually still has the 3 drafts in 4 days problem.

Unless we can figure out how to schedule it for the 8th, we may be better off just doing it after preseason week 2 to spread the drafts out.