SDMB Guitarists: put up or shut up :-)

:smack: Of course, the Jet tune linked to here is ARE YOU GONNA BE MY GIRL!! :smack: :wally Oy.

Also - please note that for these two Jet tunes, this is about the 3rd time we played either song - we decided to do them at the last minute and had no rehearsal time…

Hey, old pretentious Dutch rock! With a yodel twist. :smiley:

Cool!

As someone else said, it’s by Focus. The TAB site where I cheated to get started on the chords described it as “Progressive Dutch Yodel Rock”–what could be any better?

Yeah, the chipmunk is part of the original. Paula has a world-class voice. Too bad we’re not famous so people around the world could hear it.

Thanks for the kudos on the nylon-string work–I’m proudest of that section; it’s so far outside but it really does work. In my opinion the final solo is the best, as it gets that cocaine-edged frantic feel that I was working towards.

That’s actually quite impressive! I loved that version. Acoustic, who’d have thunk? :slight_smile: Thanks.

Paula does a great job also!

-K

Your song is up fishbicycle. Check your email for the link.

Tanks to Anonymous Coward, my demo has been posted for your dining and dancing pleasure.

It’s not the finished song, but this is pretty much how it’s going to go when I redo it. There isn’t a bridge yet. Actually, I’m wary of redoing it, because it’ll come out all perfect, and this one was spontaneous. I didn’t know what I was going to play until I played it.

This was the second song I recorded in Adobe Audition (still learning how to use it), in this order: drum track (software), left channel Strat rhythm, right channel Strat doubling rhythm for stereo, bass, lead Strat. One remix. This is the fifth edit.

Aye, Burning Your Dog

NoCoolUserName
Great rendition !!! (and as others have said, Paula does quite well too). I noticed you remained faithful to the long version of “Hocus Pocus”. Some people never heard of that song? Wow do I feel old - well it was from the summer of 1973.

Yes I’m a guitar player but as others have said, I don’t have any recording studio either. Maybe I’ll attempt a crude recording onto (UGH) a casette recoder. Then play that into the computer as a WAV file and finally convert that to MP3. Gee that should sound great. :rolleyes:

WordMan good playing - and singing too. Just one small criticism - no fault of your own - I think the drum is too overpowering. Since we are all guitar players here we can freely admit that the drums should always take a back seat in any song. :smiley:

God forgive me for releasing this to the world. I was never too much of a guitar player, and this was recorded quite a while after I’d stopped playing seriously. So … um … this is a bit of a non-serious entry.

It’s improvised with improvised vocals, and an improvised lead guitar track.

locker.uky.edu/~jhcunn2/refuse3.wav

Actually, I cut out a couple of yodel verses because I ran out of ideas for different arrangements (and I didn’t want it to be TOO long–the original is 6:42).

WordMan, you RaWk! We gotta jam. Are you in the NY area? I sometimes travel there for work.

wolf_meister c’mon over to Paula’s basement studio, we’ll get ya down on disk.
fish–cool stuff! Not too much from the drummer. :slight_smile:
Cheese I literally don’t know what to say, but I’m glad you said it.

This is so cool! I’m totally getting off on hearing everyone play. We’ve got to get together somehow!!! :-)))

Well, what can I say - my record producer friend who recorded and mixed the performance got his start as a drummer!

and NoCoolUserName I am in New York (currently - may end up relocating as part of a job search - you never know).

I will listen to the other postings when it is later and I won’t wake up the kids.

All right - time for me to join the “fun-fest”.

I got my Route 101 Rincon guitar (telecaster type with a custom-ordered middle pick-up) and I plugged it directly into my computer !!! So, you might say my “amp” is a Gateway 2000 e Series Pentium 5. LOL

And for my choice of sophisticated recording software, I chose that “thing” that comes with Windows. Hey, I was pleased to note it had the reverb/echo option. Well, the song I chose was “Sultans of Swing” - only 30 seconds - no singing - about 650 kb. Seems the guitar has a lot more output than the microphone input requires hence the guitar distortion. It’a a WAV file too. (I did convert it to an MP3 but it sounds thin and downright tinny actually). Hope you folks don’t mind playing a WAV file.

http://www.1728.com/sultans.wav

wolf-meister - sounds good, but I can’t hear the drums! :smiley:

Seriously, nice tone - I like Nashville-style Teles…

WordMan
Well, to use the running joke on the Internet, **it could have used a little more cowbell. **
Seriously, I don’t know what a Nasville Telecaster is. If it is a 3 pickup telecaster, then that is what I was playing. (I also seriously rewired it to get all kinds of tones).

Here’s an example of a Nashville Tele from eBay - weird, they didn’t have any available on Musician’s Friend. I wonder if Fender has stopped producing them?

And yep, a Nashville Tele has a third p’up, Strat-style. So you get the Tele twang but the out of phase tones in the 2nd and 4th position that Mark Knopfler made his bread n’ butter…don’t know how you re-wired your Tele, but these are usually wired like a 5 position Strat…

And wolf_meister, if WordMan says you have a nice tone, you can take it to the bank. He’s a fanatic about tone!

C’mon folks, we need more music!

And for you non-guitar players…

First off, Thanks Anonymous Coward for the hosting.

NoCoolUserName, dig the Hocus Pocus.
CheeseMonster, heheheheheheeheeee
I enjoyed all the other recordings too. Thanks for sharing guys.

Here’s one I recorded by just putting my computer mic in front of my amp. It’s a short section from Dream Theater’s A Change of Seasons. There are some tricky (for me anyway) fingerings in there, and I bumbled it up a bit at times, but that’s ok.

http://www.canucktech.com/sdmb/no_disguise-carpe_diem.mp3

By the way, John Petrucci is no mere human.

And here’s one where I used Fruityloops (sequencing software) to make some cheesy, stupid sounding drums and bass, then I turned the volume up really loud on my computer speakers, played guitar over it, and just recorded with my computer microphone again. I couldn’t get my drums to change tempo while I was playing guitar, so I had to record the first and second parts seperately, and kinda smush them together. I recorded the solo seperately and just mixed it in. The drums and bass sound terible, but once again, oh well. :slight_smile: A bit of Iron Maiden’s Afraid to Shoot Strangers:

http://www.canucktech.com/sdmb/no_disguise-atss.mp3

Oh and I used my Ibanez RG1570 with Dimarzio pickups (Air Norton in the neck, F1 single coil in the middle, and a Tone Zone in the bridge), through a Marshall JCM800, Fruityloops for sequencing, and Cool Edit Pro and a crappy mic for both recordings.

I know how to record guitar onto my computer and mix it in with the drums and bass and all that without recording the way I did, but that takes too much time and fidgeting and stuff. I’m thinking I want to try to make some decent sounding recordings, and if I do, I’ll be back.

If nothing else, I hope my crappy recordings will by comparison make recordings any shy dopers out there may have sound absolutely great and encourage them to share.

SHARE, BOZOS!

Here’s some songs of mine - recorded at home. Anyone wants to know the instrumentation etc - ask away.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/craigstevens.htm

No Disguise - nice job on both. The fingerpicking sounds tough. I personally enjoyed the Iron Maiden bit - I can’t play that stuff, but you do a great job. Your guitar sounds great for that style - scooped mids, etc. You should find a way to record it with real drums and bass!

Made in Macau - I listened to the first two tracks - really well-produced. Nice layering of tracks and great vocals - really a whole package. Have they been released anywhere. Simply because I feel that this shouldn’t be a love-fest (or maybe it should, I dunno) I am not a fan of the Rhodes-piano-like keyboard that crops up in “In Lily’s Orbit,” but really that’s a personal nit, nothing more…

What - no one else has listened to my stuff? Don’t worry, I’ll get over it, but man, doesn’t anyone else love that full-blown, recorded-live Gibson tone? Or at least will humor me and say they do?

Hey Wordy, this is a love-in!
Dig that pickin’ style. My online player is jittery and therefore shit, but seems like you nailed it to me.