SDMB Guitarists: put up or shut up :-)

I have sent you “Me and My House” by the Fire-Eating Dogs. It’s really just me and a 4-track portastudio. Guitar on 3 tracks and found vocals off of the radio. I didn’t have a sampler, so I dubbed and dubbed to get the vocal parts to sort of do what I wanted. The song has religion, politics, and Valerie Perrine’s breasts. What could be bad?

Okay, I’m a bass player, so…

Here’s me playing Geddy Lee’s bass line from the Rush song Limelight. This clip is just from the guitar solo to the end of the song. I’m using my Fender Geddy Lee Signature Model Jazz Bass.

www.phase42.net/mp3/limelight.mp3

And here is the bass line (guitar solo to end of song) from another Rush song, called Ghost Of A Chance:

www.phase42.net/mp3/goac.mp3

Oops - on Ghost Of A Chance I’m playing my Tobias Toby-Pro 5-string bass.

Sounds rock-solid to me, Phase42 - nice job. I wish there was a way to get the drums and guitar on there, but mixed back to hear the bass, but it was clear by tapping along you were holding down the rhythm end as well as playing cool lines - all I can ask for from a bassist…

If you listen to my tracks, my bassist tends like to play “lead bass” a bit too much - it’s one thing if you are Lee or Entwhistle, it’s quite another if you just want the folks to dance - it’s why I keep my “dweedly-dweedly” guitar stuff to a minimum for these songs…

:eek: :cool:

Dude … this is a hit. Have you sent this out to anyone in the industry?

(not a musician … just a guitar aficionado)

Agree completely about the opening bit – that extra funk in the beginning is cool as hell. Nice job!

This is a shot in the dark, because I’m asking about a different genre, but …

have you ever played the bassline of Devo’s version of “Satisfaction”?

Nope - I’m afraid I’ve never even heard that. I can play the Stone’s version, though…

WordMan - I know what you mean about “lead bass” players. There is another local bassist who is like that. He’s a great bassist, and quite a slapper, but I used to get really tired of listening to his band. For some reason, he thought that about every third song needed a slap bass solo…

I tried to go back and listen to yours again, but the server seems to be down. Maybe it got “Doped” (similar to “Slashdotted”)?

The Rush stuff I play is mostly for personal practice and enjoyment. I don’t know a drummer who can play Peart’s stuff, and I’ve never been able to find a guitarist who’s interested in playing Rush.

Here’s a sample of my former cover band, Ponophobic:

www.phase42.net/mp3/wots.mp3

We were just a three-piece band, so had to change parts around in an attempt to cover everything. That’s me on the opening “riff” before the guitar comes in. I think that part was originally played on guitar. That’s also me on lead vocals.

And here’s me again, with the band, playing the lead part at the beginning of the song, which was originally played on a synth. I’m also doing my own harmonies. BTW - these songs were recorded when I was just getting over a bad cold. My bandmates were in a crazy hurry to get this recorded, and didn’t want to wait for me to get my voice back :rolleyes: The harmonies kinda suck in a couple spots…

www.phase42.net/mp3/middle.mp3

I am buried work-wise (the New Haven line of Metro North out of Grand Central was down 'cuz an 18-wheeler got stuck under a RR bridge - what a tool.), but will check out your other postings later, Phase42.

As for not being able to hear my stuff - hmmm, not sure what to say. I just sent them via email to a guy I was meeting with in Manhattan and they checked out okay about an hour ago. Oh well - try again if you have a chance.

Bordelond - thanks! I love my guitar and amp - they are so good for that saturated-yet-articulate overdriven hard rock sound…

Me and My House, by the Fire-Eating Dogs

This is an experiment in 4-track portastudiosity.

One down-tuned guitar through a digital delay to set the tempo.
One solo guitar
One guitar playing patterns
“Found” vocals recorded off of the radio and multiply dubbed, rewound, and dubbed again to approximate the sound of a sampler.

http://www.canucktech.com/sdmb/Me_and_my_house-11811.mp3

It’s working fine on my end now. My hosting provider was switching servers today, so that may have been it.

Mr. Dreamer
At the bottom of the page there are 6 Guitar Instrumental songs my SO wrote. There are also a few Vocal songs that I wrote there too.

11811 - I will never hear the phrase “Valerie Perrine bared her breasts” without thinking of you. :slight_smile:

dreamer - I couldn’t hear your stuff; everything was in “perma-load,” i.e., the RealPlayer said “loading” and never clicked in…and I have a cable modem.

I’ve had that complaint before and I think the site only works with Winamp or Windows Media. Not 100% sure though.

Here’s an Mp3 link to an original I wrote a few weeks ago.You Wanna Fly
Going to listen to your Jet songs now :slight_smile:

:smack: :smack: oops! That’s an mp3 of my Vocal song, not the Instrumentals.

sorry about that…

Wordman Pretty cool live version of “Are You Gonna Go My Way”. You guys are tight. :slight_smile:

dreamer - thanks, I appreciate it.

I was able to listen to your work - wow, great great voice. I love the tonality of your voice - a real rich alto at the bottom end - very Natalie Merchant/Karen Carpenter - one of those wonderful instruments where I want to hear you sing one note, just to hear the resonance of your voice.

The song is nice - I simply don’t listen to that style, but for that style, it is really great. Because I find your voice so excellent, I hope you don’t mind a bit of a nit: You use too much melisma - you move from the end of the first line of a verse using melisma, which is nice - it sounds emotional and impromptu. But then you use it again during the second line and later lines. With a vocal instrument of your quality, less is more. Invoke techniques only to kick it up a notch. Use melisma maybe once for every 10 times you consider it - seriously. Only reach up to your upper register to make a lyric emphatic once (maybe twice) a song.

You have a wonderful gift.

And remember: Them that can’t (sing - in this case, like me) offer advice.

Thank You WordMan. I do appreciate your constructive criticism. :slight_smile: As for the runs you speak of, while I understand what you are saying, I believe they are an integral part of this song and I do plan on keeping them in when I re-record it.

I have had many, many comments (on the dmusic site and others) ranging from lyrics to song structure, but out of all those I have not heard any complaints about melisma, on the contrary people have commented on how much they like the runs.

But, that just goes to show you that everyone has their own opinion and you can’t please them all :slight_smile:

Thank you again for the wonderful comments on my voice. There are some nice Jazz songs I sang on that site as well as another original you may like titled “We Go On”.

Cool dreamer - sounds like you have a great take on where you want to go with the song and your style. I think I have been melisma’d out by the R&B singers - which is not where you are going at all, obviously.

(but about the Mariah’s, Christina’s and Whitney’s, let alone the newbies of that ilk - doesn’t it just drive you nuts? I mean, jeez, Aretha - the Alpha and Omega of R&B singing - or Al Green or Marvin Gaye - how often do they use that technique? Only to punctuate a specific line or deliver a specific emotion - drives me nuts to hear it spread like a bad sweetener over a lousy song.)

Okay - I’m done now - sorry 'bout that…

No, it’s cool. You’re right. Mariah, Whitney, Christina - way over done on the runs. If you were to listen to my other songs you would see that I’m not an overuser of them at all, acutally it’s quite rare that I use them in any of my songs. This song just came to me like that and it’s a memorable melody (so I’ve heard ) Anyway I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. :slight_smile: