SDMB NFL Pick 'em and Survival Leagues 2022

Now in our 800th year. Last year’s thread

I sent out renewal invites to everyone who was in each league last year, but the survival league didn’t have that option so you’ll have to join manually.

Everyone is invited to play - it’s not like fantasy football where you have head to head matchups every week, everyone plays against the whole league, so if you end up dropping out mid-season it’s not a big deal. So try anything you want.

Pick 'em:
In NFL Pick 'em leagues, each player predicts the outcome of every NFL game. There are three different types, and we run all three. You can join any or all of them.

Straight up: You simply pick the winner of each game, and get a point if correct.

Spread: A spread is determined for a game (like with sports betting), where one team has a certain amount of points given to them, and you have to pick the game with that adjustment taken into account.

Confidence: The most complex one, but in my view also the most fun. There are no spreads, so you pick the winner straight up. But you get a confidence value you can assign to every game, 1 through the number of games being played that weekend, and can only use each number once. So if there are 16 games that weekend, you’ll assign the confidence number 16 to the game where the outcome seems most clear to you, 15 for the next one, all the way down to 1 for the one you’re least sure of. If you pick correctly, the confidence value of your pick is added to your weekly score. If you only play one league, I suggest the confidence league.

Survival:
Each player picks one team that has to win each week. If your picked team fails to win, you get a strike. You can only use each team once. Three strikes and you’re out.

These leagues can hold up to 50 players each, so we’re not really at risk for filling up, and you’re competing against the whole league, not one other team per week like fantasy football, so it’s not a big deal if you end up dropping out. I’d like for everyone to play all the way through the season, but it won’t hurt anyone if you don’t, so feel free to sign up if you’re only a little interested. The more the merrier.

Pick 'em sign up page
Survival sign up page

Passwords for all leagues is cecil. League numbers are:

Pick 'em: 20538
Spread: 20539
Confidence: 20540

Survival: 11523

Only a few days till the season starts. If you’re reading this thread mid-season, feel free to join the leagues late (except the survival) - you won’t be in contention for the overall win but you can still win individual weeks.

Start getting your Thursday picks in. You don’t have to have all the picks in by Thursday, just the Thursday game, but they’re easy to forget so I’ll probably post reminders for a few weeks into the season.

Whew! Nearly forgot about this – got my stuff set with minutes to go.

I picked Cinci in the survival league like 2 weeks ago, but it says I made no pick. That is really frustrating.

Not that I want the Steelers to win, but if Cinci loses anyway at least I won’t have to be butthurt all year that Yahoo didn’t accept my pick.

Lots of losses in survival in the first week. I feel like first weeks have been fairly safe/predictable in recent years.

Yeah, I thought my Colts pick was safe in Week 1.

Shows what I know.

Get your Thursday picks in.

Survival week 1 actually went worse than I thought. 10 players got a strike and only 5 survived. That’s a way bigger massacre than most week 1s.

The second most popular survival pick this week is a Cleveland Browns quarterbacked by Jacoby Brissett. I do think the Browns will win that game, but it’s hard to have enough confidence to pick them in survival.

4 more strikes in survival from the Ohio teams. 2 for the Browns, 2 for the Bengals. We’re already down to just 4 perfect survivors, and 4 people have 2 strikes in 2 weeks.

Get your Thursday picks in.

Unusually hard week in Survival where none of the games have a spread bigger than 6.

Looks like we’re going to have a survival massacre. We may end up resetting the survival league before mid-season even though we haven’t had a reset in years.

I am humbled. I like to think that I know at least a little about the NFL, but I am out of the survival competition after 3 weeks.

Obviously I don’t know shit.

Well with the Chargers getting crushed by Jacksonville, we have 6 strikes on the Chiefs, 5 strikes on the Chargers, one no pick. Only 2 picks on Cinci and one pick on Minnesota survived this week.

@Hamlet is the last perfect survivor with no strikes.

This week was an apocalypse. I don’t recall a week with this many strikes before

I don’t either. Generally picks are more varied in the early weeks and we don’t get 11 people picking 2 teams. There’s usually not this many strikes overall this soon and I don’t recall anyone getting three by Week 3. Fortunately I was one of the two Cinci picks and will live to fight another week, but it’s been quite crazy so far

I know full well I’ll screw it up, so I hearby declare myself winner of the Survival league because I’m the last to reach the first strike.

In the Pick Em spread league, I’m shocked to see how poorly Frosty is doing after his mind blowingly awesomeness last year.

I’m going back to voting with my heart and not my head. I tried to overthink way too much with my pick 'em choices and now I’m sitting on the bottom.

Survival is a nightmare right now but I’m enjoying it because we’re all getting slaughtered.

Remember there’s a London game several hours early, get at least that pick in early.