SDMB Pick 'em and Survival leagues 2017

Last year’s thread which I will copy for most of this post.

Everyone is invited to play - it’s not like fantasy football where you have head to head matchups every week, everyone plays against the whole league, so if you end up dropping out mid-season it’s not a big deal. So try anything you want.

Pick 'em:
In NFL Pick 'em leagues, each player predicts the outcome of every NFL game. There are three different types, and we run all three. You can join any or all of them.

Straight up: You simply pick the winner of each game, and get a point if correct.

Spread: A spread is determined for a game (like with sports betting), where one team has a certain amount of points given to them, and you have to pick the game with that adjustment taken into account.

Confidence: The most complex one, but in my view also the most fun. There are no spreads, so you pick the winner straight up. But you get a confidence value you can assign to every game, 1 through the number of games being played that weekend, and can only use each number once. So if there are 16 games that weekend, you’ll assign the confidence number 16 to the game where the outcome seems most clear to you, 15 for the next one, all the way down to 1 for the one you’re least sure of. If you pick correctly, the confidence value of your pick is added to your weekly score. If you only play one league, I suggest the confidence league.

Survival:
Each player picks one team that has to win each week. If your picked team fails to win, you get a strike. You can only use each team once. Three strikes and you’re out.

These leagues can hold up to 50 players each, so we’re not really at risk for filling up, and you’re competing against the whole league, not one other team per week like fantasy football, so it’s not a big deal if you end up dropping out. I’d like for everyone to play all the way through the season, but it won’t hurt anyone if you don’t, so feel free to sign up if you’re only a little interested. The more the merrier.

Pick 'em sign up

Password for all leagues is cecil. League numbers are:

Pick em: 13152
Spread Pick em: 13153
Confidence Pick 'em: 13154

They redid the survival interface this year, you should be able to sign up with this link.

Woo hoo, thank you, and I’ll try very hard not to drop out this year. I don’t know why but after about 9 weeks, I seem to forget, I would think it would be habit after 9 weeks.

About a week until the regular season starts. Room for everyone in all the leagues.

The first game is tomorrow, so don’t forget to get your picks in for that game. There’s no weekly deadline - just 5 minutes before each game - so you don’t have to get them all in now.

I used to like these leagues, but Thursday games always throw me off. I’m still not in the rhythm of prepping on Wednesday.

Yeah, I usually end up just picking the Thursday game alone early in the week and waiting till Saturday night to do the rest of the picks.

Last chance to get those picks in. I won’t remind everyone every week but we’ve got to get in the habit.

By the way, if you catch this thread late but you’re interested you can still join us at any time. We drop everyone’s worst week, so you can start in week 2 and be competitive, but even later in the season you could try to win individual weeks.

In survival there are a bunch of people signed up with generic team names that don’t seem like names we’ve had in our league before.

Did we get random yahoo sign-ups? Or do “Kayla’s Agreeable Pick Set”, “Marsha’s Magnificent Pick Set”, “Jessi’s Terrific Pick Set” etc. belong to someone?

Just seeing this and I’d like to join, but it says the season has started and it’s too late. How can I join? I want to join Straight Up, Confidence, and Survival, with the following names:

Bullit SDMB straightUp
Bullit SDMB Confidence
Bullit SDMB Survival

Can a commissioner set me up? Let me know what info you need. Thanks.

That’s strange, I think it used to let you join throughout the season. There’s no setting I can find that allows me to dictate when people can sign up.

It still allows me to send invites, though, so if you want to PM me your e-mail address I can try to invite you that way.

Thanks. PM sent.

Well, my Survivor entry went down in a ball of flames thanks to my selecting the Bengals. Good news is I don’t get NFL Network so it sounds like I suffered less mental anguish sporadically following the play by play than the average person who watched the game.

Still doing okay in survivor, but my best week is still only 10 right in the pick’em league.

I have to bail. Too many pools. I shouldn’t have signed up in the first place.

Good luck, you guys!

Don’t forget there’s an early game today.

I was going to pick the Ravens anyway :eek:

This is one of the worst survival weeks I’ve ever seen. I hate all the options.

Rough week. 5 people took a strike on Pittsburgh. Two people were eliminated (third strike) on NYG and Buffalo. 3 more people took a strike on NYG. One on the rams, one on detroit. Only 4 people made good picks this week, two with PHI and 2 with MIN.

Only one person has been perfect through 5 games this season, me.

Pretty brutal. I switched my pick from Philly to the Rams the night before because Philly has more use later in the season. The Rams were a terrific pick, and they would have won if their “elite hands” rookie didn’t drop the winning touchdown on the penultimate play. Really rough.

If the game is close enough that the outcome is decided by a drop, it’s not really a terrific survival pick.