SDMB Oscar Voting: Best Director

If you were an Academy member, who would get your vote?

As I’ve said, I think *Gravity *puts Cuaron into the pantheon of the cinematic gods.

This is one of the biggest locks the Oscars have ever seen. When you see nearly every director out there slobbering over what Cuoron managed to pull off, using new technology for the first time, it’s easy to understand why. This movie changes film making forever.

I’d like to think so, but the Association of Old White Guys Who Bankroll Films tends to have a guilty soft spot for Deeply Meaningful Films About Race.

I worry about that, because it’s absolutely true. Hopefully they’ll reserve their guilt for Best Picture. Cuaron deserves this one.

Naturally, because how many films about race have won Best Picture? In the last 50 years, 3 (count 'em). That’s the same number that have featured Ralph Fiennes. In other words, coughBullShitcough

The Association of Old White Guys actually tend to have a guilty soft spot for Deeply Meaning Films About Upper-Class white people problems.

Of course, if Steve McQueen wins (and he’s just as deserving as Cuaron, for completely different reasons), this type of nasty White Guilt smear will circulate freely and unsubstantiated. Thanks for reminding us of that.

As I’ve said in nearly every Oscar thread, I didn’t think Gravity was the best film of the year and it may not even be in my top 5 of the year. But there’s no denying that it was an incredible, groundbreaking directorial achievement, and I would absolutely give this award to Cuaron.

He already won the DGA award and the number of times that award and the Oscar have gone to different films is a ridiculously short list (I think 7 times in 65 years). The DGA winner has gone on to win Best Picture in all but 13 of those years - however, I don’t think that will happen this year.

Gravity should easily win Director, Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and of course Visual Effects. Oh, and Best Score since entire stretches of that movie use the score as sound effects (watch that opening scene again, not a single sound effect outside of the score).

It’s about more than Best Pic awards. Raise your hand if you really think Halle Berry’s ridiculously histrionic performance was really worth Best Actress… I think it was a blatant sop to racism and she should have broken it in half and tossed it back. But if you want to argue that any recognition by Da Man is good, okay.

You forgot about the Films About the Industry they adore to death.

Conversely, raise your hand it you think Al Pacino’s ridiculously over-the-top performance in Scent of a Woman deserved the Oscar over Denzel Washington’s Malcolm X (or anything else that year, for that matter). The truth is that the Oscars have a blatant sop toward industry sentimentality 10 times more than any bullshit “White Man’s Guilt” theory–after all, why did it take so long for them to give Best Actress to a black performer in the first place if, as you claim, they’re constantly wringing their hands over the subject?