SDMB Weight Loss Club, October 2008

This morning I weighed in at 203, down 2 lbs. My short term goal is 198, so I’ve got 5 more lbs to go. It feels like it’s taking forever to get there. So far, since March, I’ve lost 42 pounds.

I upped my exercise time from 45 minutes to 60 minutes, 5 to 6 days a week, as of this morning. It went pretty well–I was afraid I couldn’t deal with the elliptical cross-trainer that long but I felt good.

Hork. I’m back on the Core plan. I am at 185, five pounds above what had been my maximum weight. My boyfriend and I met this summer and have been eating and boozing like there’s no tomorrow… culminating in a vacation last week, during which I gained two pounds. Now we’re back from that and sobering up.

He had lost 40 pounds right before we met; his goal now is to lose another stone (14 pounds) by Thanksgiving. My goal is more modest–I have Hashimoto’s and weight loss is always slow for me, so I’ll be happy with just half a stone, seven pounds.

And off we go! He has finished the C25K plan and runs 5K three times a week. I am working my way through it, just about to start W7, the 25-minute runs.

I porked out when I quit smoking too Hazle won’t take long to get back on track. 1 year after I quit smoking I weighed 185. My heaviest weight ever (including pregnancies). Took me three years to get down to where I am now.

I’m OK with slow. Slow is good. Slow is what works. And I’m learning a lot.

This week I dipped into the 150s briefly (159 on Sunday) but now I’m hanging at around 160. I’m right next to my goal of weighing less than my husband though he’s been eating better and working out too so he’s been losing weight. I swear he’s doing it to spite me. Or maybe he’s just dangling the carrot.

Down 4 pounds since Saturday. That gives you and idea of the extreme amount of food I was putting away at night. We’re talking, a box of crackers AND a bag of chips and some cookies. Was sorely tempted last night, but was tired and figured it just wasn’t worth it. Having accountability is good!

I lost the pound I was aiming for this week but it was due to calorie restriction. I’m really really going to ride the stationary bike or go for walks this week. Really really, I promise.

88.3 kg this morning. I’m recovering from a weekend in France with a group of guys from church. Ham, cheese and baguettes for lunch (when not eating at a lovely bistro in Dinan), serious man food (chilli, curry, BBQ) for dinner. All a bit much for the diet, but I did work out several times over the weekend as well. My goal is 80kg (175lb) by the end of the year, too, but it is getting pretty hard to drop weight - I do need to tighten my belt again, though.

In addition to the gym (4 nights a week) I am running 3-4 times a week and now cycling 2-3 times as well. I want to throw some swimming in, as the plan is a short (sprint) triathlon in spring, but pool access is a bit problematic. I ran 4 miles at 8 minute miles this week - I was so surprised at the pace and an 85% of max heart rate average. The only risk with the exercise program is that I bulk up too much muscle-wise and not drop the kilos.

Anyhow - I am pretty happy at the way things are going. People at work and the gym have been commenting on how good I look (and how much younger, too). My wife has banned me from going down the pub she works at while she is away in NZ during November - she doesn’t trust the clientele (and anyhow, my kids work there too, and the publicans/staff are all friends - I couldn’t get away with anything). :wink:

Si

Another successful weigh-in this morning.

208.4 pounds, after my gain in September. Now I’m almost back to my offical WW low of 208. I changed my activity level on my Points quiz today, which decreased my points goal by 3 - from 30 to 27. I hope that that change, along with adding the Couch-to-5K program to my workouts, will help me ramp it up a little bit. I will dance in the streets if I can get below 200 pounds by the end of the year!

Well, well, well…weighed this morning. I’ve lost 3 1/2 pounds. Who’da thunk it? I’m pretty happy with that, and I just feel so good all the time now. Lots of energy, almost no cravings, etc.

Question to all of you on Sparkpeople. I’ve joined up there as well and am wondering if y’all have created an SDMB team over there?

Have a great day, everyone!

1. And I should confess to some comfort eating earlier in the week ahead of an Open University exam, the first exam I’ve taken since the end of my first (and only) year at uni, which should give you some idea how they went. This was rather better. So all in all I’m delighted to have lost even a pound and a half.

Memo to self: do not drink in the evenings - the temptation to munch is easier to resist cold sober.

I just completed a one hour bike trip with my daughter. It is not a lot, but it is more than I have done for a while and she was happy. Hopefully I can keep this up for a while and start seeing some results. Yesterday I had my last sail of the year which actually entails a long row to the ramp to pull the boat out for the season. I haven’t actually lost any weight this month though.

Please may I join in, too?

I think in Kg but will try to remember to translate. I am 5ft 4in and my ideal weight is 57kg (126lbs) I am currently at 77.6kg (171lbs).

When we moved into this house four and a half years ago I was at my ideal weight. I now teach English in the lower part of the house so my commute is about a yard at the most. That’s what made me put the weight on. That and being busy.

However enough is enough. On October 4th I weighed myself and was 79.6kg (176lbs). That is the fattest I have ever been in my life. I am outgrowing even my US 14 clothes and do NOT want to buy any more. I am terrified of seeing 80kg, and also I realised I am now heavier than my husband for the first time ever. Those things got me into gear and I have now been working really hard at it for nine days.

In that time I have lost 5lbs but of course we all know the first few days are easy…

I’m counting calories in and out and am trying to move at least some time every day. Luckily five of these nine days have been holidays so the kids and I have been on several ten mile bike rides and I have at least tried to walk half an hour a day, but with the days getting short and my work hours long this is going to be hard to keep up.

I’d appreciate some support and accountability and of course I’m happy to give the same back!

My goals. Well, to get back to 125lbs. But I have two shorter term goals before then. First I am going to England in mid December and I’d like to be 10kg lighter than when I started or at least near 70kg. I know that’s a lot but I shall eat while I’m there, all the stuff I can’t get in Japan. The next goal is a foreign womens’ conference at the end of February. That is 20 weeks away and I would really like to be 15kg down by then, if possible…

I can’t go to the gym, I’m essentially a single mother and the nearest one is a long drive away. I work all day and the kids need me all evening. I CAN go on my bike/walk for groceries etc for maybe four more weeks before the snow sets in… After that, what shall I do???

I am remembering the pleasures of bike riding with family but my bum hates me right now!! How about yours?

Only a little sore, nothing bad.

I walked or rode the stationary bike for 30 every day this week and my weight is right back where I started. I’m going to have to put a whole lot more effort into this.

Hokkaido Brit there are a lot of things you can do right there at home.
Jump rope, try Leslie Sansone’s walk at home DVD, any exercise TV shows on? Buy an exercise step and do some stepping every time a commerical comes on TV.

I have realized that I’m a morning person. I have all my energy in the AM and am pooped out at night. So, I have to workout in the morning otherwise I won’t workout at all. Figure out what time works best for you and your schedule.

On the Sparkpeople web site there is a 15 minute at your desk workout that’s meant to be done in an office, no equipment necessary, in fact, there are lots of exercises like that on that web site. Look 'em up and use them.

Remember this, your body doesn’t care if your workout comes in 5 or 10 minute increments. So, 5 minutes of jogging in place 6 times a day is just as good for you as 30 minutes all at once.

I guess that was probably more advice that you asked for :slight_smile: but there are many things you can do without a gym or any equipment (or minimal equipment).

for the past two days I’ve been in the 150’s. 158.5 today. I looked back over my spread sheet and see that it took me 3 full months to make it through the 160s so at this pace I expect to be hitting the 140s sometime around January.

Still need to add weight training to my exercise routine, just haven’t gotten that worked in to the schedule yet. I do the 15 minute desk exercises once in a blue moon but I need to make it a regular event.

MeanJoe (again)

Current Weight: 198
Starting Weight: 203
Goal Weight: 185
Goal Date: 12/15/08

I’m moderating my calorie intake to under 1600 calories per day and I am trying to make it to the gym a minimum of 3x’s per week. My goal is to get to the gym 4-5x’s per week but I’m starting at 3x for the first two weeks.

My exercise routine is focusing on cardio and general fitness. I am doing this through either a.) exercise classes such as kick-boxing, toning, boot-camp, etc. type classes or b.) 30 minutes of cardio on a treadmill or other machine and 20-30 minutes of weight lifting.

MeanJoe

It’s weigh-in day! 206 lb today, down from 207.6 a week ago. I actually was down to 203 for one day this week, but that was while I was sick and not eating and most likely quite dehydrated. I was a good girl allll week long and stuck to my points - except for last night when I indulged in an M&M Blast with extra M&Ms from Sonic.

Only 6 pounds to go before the end of the year!

WooT! Size 10 jeans! Size 10 jeans!:eek::cool:

Er, um…I am rather excited about my progress. Total loss of 25 lbs since June 2.

Congratulations Kerrigan and Faerie Beth!!! That’s brilliant. It is so satisfying to go down a clothes size… Hasn’t happened to me yet this time but it will I am determined. My painfully tight jeans have become merely uncomfortably tight so there is progress.

Is Saturday weigh in day? In that case here’s my stats…
Lost this week 2.6lbs or 1.2kg for a total of 7lbs/3.2kg in two weeks. Goal is still 41lb/19kg away. I’d like to be there by next summer. My first short term goal is to be at 70kg by mid December when I am going to England to visit my family.

I have only lurked these threads sporadically - would I be the only one following the Nintendo DS “My Weight Loss Coach” program?

My 39th birthday is Tuesday and about six months ago my doctor said it would be a good idea if I lost 20 pounds, so I decided that “140 by 40” was an easy-to-remember (not to mention pretty modest) goal. I’m 5’4" and have been hovering in the 160 lb. range for a couple of years. So in 367 days, I hope to be - at least - 20 lbs. lighter.

The thing is, I’m terribly lazy, work a lot, stay up to late, and am terrified to go into my kitchen (we have developed a bit of a roach problem), so there are some challenges. I’d love to get a Wii Fit, but not only are they impossible to find and more than I can really afford, we don’t have room in our teensy-tiny apartment without serious re-arranging. But maybe. It would be so much easier to do that then get myself to the gym even once a week.

So, I dutifully wore the pedometer today (over 6300 steps) and am loving the cute cartoon stuff on the game. Hopefully this will be entertaining enough to keep me off the bad habits - the bagels and coffee, for one.