The SDMB Weight Loss Club - Part Deux

Since the original thread has evolved into 8 pages at this point, I felt it was as good a time as ever to start a new one.

To quote the SDMB Weight Loss Club founder, Liirogue:

So get your butt (of any size) in here share your stats, successes, failures, give and receive encouragement, offer tips, or just generally express yourself and your weight loss goals.

MeanJoe

WTG, Shoshana! Looks like the goal’s starting to come into view, and I’ll bet that’s exciting.

Hang in there Quasi - I read the Pit thread, and don’t that beat all. Sometimes rolling with life’s punches is more important than worrying about the diet. One strategy for letting the diet accomodate the upheavals, without its getting out of hand, is to allow yourself, say, two weeks off the diet, or five pounds gained back, whichever comes first, while you wallow a bit. (You might pick different numbers, but you get the idea.) Then back to the diet, regardless of where things are in your life at that point.

Well, I haven’t been to the gym for a week (I was out of town most of last week), and the gym is where my reliable scale is, so I don’t know where I’m at, weight-wise. I’d be surprised, though, if I wasn’t down another pound or so, because I didn’t stray from the diet while out of town. I did just do a waist measurement, and it’s down a half-inch fromt he last time I measured, on April 21st. Also, I tried yoga for the first time this morning. I liked it. I’d like to pursue it on a weekly basis, as I would like to improve my balance (which sucks), and also understand it lengthens muscles.

Any yoga fans who would like to share experiences with me?

Okay I just weighed myself a few minutes ago. I’m at 215! HOLY COW!

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I ate like a bird while I was in Chicago. I didn’t eat anything healthy but I didn’t eat much of the unhealthy food either (Half a sandwhich here, a few fries there, a 1/4th of a burger) that kinda thing.

Not to mention I did a helluva lot a walking too and took the stairs up to our hotel room a few dozen times.

215! YAY!

fizzestothetop - Congrats!

norinew - I’ve never done yoga but if I may kindly request of you just one little, tiny, teeny thing regarding yoga?

Please do not become SHYGGWWBSBRPOSSP(sp?), that would be Scary Hippy Yoga Guy at the Gym Who Wears Bicycling Shorts and Berets and Refuses to Put On Shoes and Smells of Pechuli(sp?).

I hate that guy. Specifically I hate his bare feet walking all over the gym - especially the free-weight floor area where I end doing cool down stretches on the floor after doing my treadmill run.

Six weeks ago, I weighed 265.

I am bad about eating out often, and eating when I am bored. I almost always have a bag of chips next to me when I am online or watching TV. I was curious to know how much I could lose by simply not eating all the damn time, out of habit.

I am now THIRTY pounds lighter. Went from a 40 waist to a 36. I had no idea I was eating that damn much. I consider myself lucky to lose it this easily, I know some people struggle with it for years.

WTG, fizzes and Joey G!!

MeanJoe, it’s ‘patchouli’. One more piece of trivia cluttering up my brain.

RTF: Love ya’ but even though the stuff in the Pit thread weighs heavily on my mind, it don’t weigh as heavily as the “Milwaukee Tumor” I got around my middle (not yet anyway;)). So since y’all are here with me, I think I’ll stay in the game as long as I can, Coach! :smiley:

Q

Attaboy, Quasi! Go get 'em!!

Well, I had an awful cold which drained all my energy this week, so Monday was the only day I got to the gym. Amazingly, I lost 2.5 pounds! YAY!

I’m now at 145, which is back to my lowest-in-the-past-year-or-so weight that I hit a few months ago before backsliding. It’s all new ground from here.

RTFirefly - Thanks for the correction, I was too lazy to dust off Webster.

Joey G - Wow, what a difference junk food can make!

LaurAnge - Congrats on blazing into new frontiers!

Today I hit the scale and have broke the 180lbs mark for the first time in a few years. I’m down to 178.8 this morning. I ate a very early dinner yesterday (4:30) b/c I had to go play volleyball in the evening and basically had nothing to eat from that time until this morning. I’m going to try and watch what I eat the next few days to try and avoid slipping back over 180. I’m getting closer to my first goal of 175 but I am realizing that I’m probably going to have to go lower than that to get the last of this chubby-belly to go away.

February 17th - 214lbs
May 13th - 178.8lbs

:smiley:

MeanJoe

16 months ago I weighed 274 lb, did WW and got to 190. I stayed in and around 192-195 until February. I’ve been off the WW wagon for about 2 months and went up 205. I am back on counting points again as of yesterday. No loss as of yet, but it’s only been a day.

I’m down 25.25 lbs as of this morning!

Last December I weighed 315. I’m diabetic and my doctor pretty much told me I’d end up in the hospital with kidney failure if I didn’t get my diabetes under control. So, I started going to the gym 3-5 times a week and eating a whole lot less than I used to. I’m down to 270-275 now and still losin’ weight like crazy. I look a lot better, I feel a lot better, and life is good.

Okay. In the first place, I’m a woman. I swear I need to get a more feminine username! lol. In the second place, I’m pretty sure that to be SHGGWWBSBRPOSSP, I’d first need to be vegan, and I love meat way too much! I’m also pretty sure I’d need to own at least 2 pairs of Birkenstocks, and I don’t even have one pair!

But thanks for the advice!:smiley:

I might as well join in too since I started a diet a couple weeks ago.

I’ve always been overweight, ever since before I even started school but am generally easy going enough about it that it doesn’t bother me too much. That all changed about six to eight months ago when I weighed myself at the local hospital where I work and found out that I weighed 350lbs. Scared out of my mind that I’ll become one of those 600lb guys that needs a crane to get out of my house, I immediately went on a diet and lost 40lbs in about a month and a half.

I fell off the wagon a little while after that but managed to stay around that weight until the present. What made me start back on the diet is meeting someone online that I hit it off with and hope to meet this coming April, so I started back on my diet. I’m hoping that in ten months, I’ll be able lose a hundred pounds or so. I have no idea how feasible that is, but I’m dieting hardcore right now.

I’ve cut out sodas (which I love), am drinking at least two liters of water a day (which I hate), eating as little as possible and avoiding meat, cheese, and bread as much as I can. Yesterday, all I had was a banana, two liters of water, some turnip greens cooked in boullion(sp?), half a spaghetti squash with that calorie and fat free spray butter, and a small piece of pork tenderloin.

That’s about typical of my diet unless I happen to get the munchies, in which case, I’ll either binge on pretzels, fruit, etc. or eat junk food but try to limit it.

What I really need to do now is excercise but that’s something I’ve never done so I don’t know how to start. Over the past week, I’ve been doing alot of stuff that I’ve just made up (lots of arm and leg movement… my biceps are firming up a bit) but I don’t have the money for a gym membership since all my free money is going to saving for my trip and I’m too self conscious to excercise in front of other people anyway.
Whew… okay. I’m finished rambling. :slight_smile:

Well, i’m hopping in here also, since I missed the first thread.

Right now, i’m 295, which is WAY over where I should be from when I was at my peak.

Basically, i’m shooting for 200-210, as i’m a pretty big framed guy, and when I was actually IN shape, that’s what I weighed.

So, current stats are as of 5/13:
Weight: 295
waist: 42

Goal is Weight 200-210 and a waist of 38 again.

Here we go, time to break out the old bike and go pester a friend to start sparring again heh.

Actually, that’s a VERY good place to start. Whenever I want to start losing weight, soda is the first thing to go. It’s rough, as I drink soda like it’s the nectar of the gods, but it’s a HUGE amount of empty calories. Some do the Diet sodas, but well…I can’t stand the taste of em, so I up the water intake.

Usually, if I just lay off the soda, I can lose about 7-10 pounds in a week without even breaking a sweat or changing anything else. So it’s a good start!

Well, the main reason I’ve done it is 'cause everyone says water helps your metabolism and helps you lose weight easier and blah, blah, blah… so I did it for the benefits of water, not for the empty calories of soda. :slight_smile:

Aesiron, yes cutting out the sodas and drinking water is a great start. But it sounds to me from your first post like you may be short-changing yourself, calorie-wise. The big problem with that is it can seriously mess up your metabolism, making it harder and harder to continue losing weight (I’ve been down that road before, and the scenery ain’t pretty!). You should probably be eating at least 1,800 calories a day. Exercise is important, too. I myself don’t use it, but understand that fitday.com is a great weight-loss site.
I also don’t know that 100 pounds of weight-loss in 10 months is feasible, but I’m guessing that 60-70 isn’t out of the question.
Best of luck!