SDMB Wine Club -- Lucky Week 13

Wine, Week 13, and we have a bit of a condundrum (not to be confused with the Camus Conundrum, a personal fave for a table white).

The sommelier list is here. Last week, Necros pinch-hit for WhyNot, who found herself unable to fulfill her wine club duties due to having an actual life.

So now our next four sommeliers are: legalsnugs, SiouxChief, Canby, and threnodyangelfire, none of whom are still participating, IIRC. But if I don’t RC, I’d hate to jump someone who has been patiently waiting their turn. So this is a big HELLLOOOOOO! to the four just named: if you are still playing, please sing out.

If not, our sommelier will be flickster. Flix, I hate to ask you to wait in the wings but . . . would you wait in the wings for a couple of days? Please? You may be tapped for the solo. If none of the aforementioned people have spoken up by, say, Tuesday, please assume the sommelier mantle. :slight_smile:

Last week’s wine was a variety of Roses (Roe-says, dang those diacritical marks!). Last week’s thread is here.

As always, all are welcome!

I hope any, or all, of the legalsnugs, SiouxChief, Canby, and threnodyangelfire group step forward to play again.

Just in case, I’ll have a selection warmed up and ready to go. In fact, I may have just had one nose into the honored spot during dinner tonight :slight_smile:

Saké? Is it saké? :smiley:

Ooooh! I missed this on the front page. I am eagerly awaiting the pick.

flickster, I hereby dub thee Sommelier.

Tell us what goodie you’ve got picked out for us. :slight_smile:

Dang it! Here we are in Week 13 already and I never got over to the wine store for that Rose’.

Here’s hoping that I can find this week’s pick without traveling too far. Right now my schedule is quite hectic and if I can’t find it at the grocery store or the world market chances are that I won’t get around to buying it.

Bring it on Flickster!

So, what am I drinking tonight, flickster?

BTW, psycat90, I drank the Kim Crawford S B last night. Very nice!!

It is indeed an honor to be your humble Sommelier for Lucky Week 13

Back when I joined I had all but chiseled in stone what my selection would be. Well my taste buds and Lady Luck had other plans…Not sure if I am breaking a rule but I am recommending both a white & a red. I truly hope your local suppliers will be cooperative and have them in stock.

First up, in the lead off position: from Chile - Cousino-Macul Sauvignon Gris 2006
Sometimes fortune smiles on you when making a “this looks good random selection”. Actually, I found this while searching for the elusive Smoking Loon Viognier a while back and it has been a constant in our rack even since. As an alternate Chilean white selection, try the El Conde Gran Reserva Chardonnay 2005

For the red: from Argentina - La Posta Bonarda 2004
I just tried this Bonarda for the first time last week and it blew me away. I had tried La Posta’s Malbec and this happened to be right beside it one the shelf - Lady Luck smiles again ( I should be in Vegas :stuck_out_tongue: ). As an alternate: from California - Muirwood Syrah 2004 - this has been an everyday favorite of ours for a long time.

I really hope your are able to locate either, both or all :slight_smile:

Can you give your location and where you generally find these wines? I’ve had the La Posta Malbec before, and really liked it. If you say you live in CA and find them at BevMo, then I know exactly where to go. :slight_smile:

I live in Houston and my primary source is Spec’s

John, I’m heading out to Bevmo in a few minutes. I’ll let you know what I find.

In California, Billington Wines (Sauvignon Gris importer) distributes to:
(other states listed here as well)

Young’s Market
2164 N. Batavia Street, Orange, CA 92865
800-317-6150

No joy at either Bevmo or World Market.

I’m totally striking out here. As far as I can tell, none of the four are available in Quebec.

I bet this gets way easier when I’m in PA.

Try this (from the Cousino website):

Canada / Quebec
VINS PHILIPPE DANDURAND INC.
1201, rue Sherbrooke Ouest
Montreal, Quebec H3A 1H9, Canada
fax : (514) 932-2243
tel : (541) 932-2626

THANK YOU for including a white in your pick! I know reds are generally considered better, and who doesn’t like a good red, but it is so fricking hot in my neck of the woods that a full-bodied room-temperature red doesn’t even appeal to me.

This is not to discourage future sommeliers from picking whatever they want! But I’m going to go for the white this time, as more suited to sipping on the screened-in porch in the humming southern twilight. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip, but they’re an importer - they direct you to the SAQ website to buy (the provincially-run liquor store). As far as I’m aware, pretty much all wines sold in Quebec are at some point passed through the SAQ, and they have a pretty nice search engine I’ve been taking advantage of.

They do have four Cousino wines - a merlot, a cabernet sauvignon, a chardonnay and… a finis terrae (no idea if that is the variety or name). I may try to get one of those if they’re at an outlet near me.

Absolutely no luck with either of the picks, or either of the alternates. La Posta, yes, but not the Bonarda. Darn. I’ll keep looking, though. Also still trying to track down the Fess Parker “Frontier Red” while barbecue season is still here. Same thing, everyone has Fess Parker, but doesn’t carry the “Frontier Red”. I read that a good substitute for “Frontier Red” is the Hitching Post “Generation Red”. Yeah, you guessed it, plenty of Hitching Post but…

In the meantime, I just wanted to post that I have been on the mailing list of a few wine shops in the area, and it paid off yesterday. The Wine Spectator had named the 2005 Mollydooker “The Boxer” Shiraz as one of their top 100 exciting wines of 2006 (it came in at #68), and Parker gave it an extraordinarily high rating (97, I think). Of course, it sold out immediately, but my local wine shop emailed that they had a limited supply of the new 2006 in. At the time of the ratings the 2005 was a $20 wine, so of course it has now gone up to $25, but I bought a bottle along with “Two Left Feet” (Shiraz/Cabernet/Merlot). I’ll wait until the weather is cooler to drink. However, this has convinced me to put my name on every wine shop’s mailing list, just to be on top of what is in stock.

I feel bad that these are proving to be hard to find in other parts of the country. I didn’t realize I lived in a wine mecca (Houston?). If I could afford it, I’d ship y’all a care package for they really are delightful.

Damn, you are lucky. I’m sitting here, languishing, a few hours drive from Napa. We got nuthin’!!!