Secret Invasion (Nick Fury tv series) There be spoilers in here

The new Nick Fury series on Disney Plus is out. They’re releasing one episode per week, with six episodes expected.

After watching the first episode, it looks like they’re going for the spy-thriller genre. So far, so good.

I thought it was incredibly boring.

Grim. Nothing fun about it at all. Not even Olivia Coleman. I was almost held hope for a Pulp Fiction homage when Fury and the good Skrull visit the bomb maker, but no joy.

I liked it. It’s going to be a grim story, clearly, based on the big event at the end of the episode*, but it’s good to mix it up a bit.

The big controversy right now, that is overshadowing the actual story, is that the creators used AI for the opening title animation, which is a spit in the face of the artists who pour so much of their heart and soul into the MCU, and who are the core of its origins, no less. Very disappointing move from Marvel, and whoever else okayed it.

*Which I am seriously not happy about!!!

To quote myself in another thread:

On the one hand, the twisted Uncanny Valley portraits that AIs generate do work well for the theme of the show. On the other hand, I agree that it’s a very bad trend and don’t want it encouraged.

Yeah, I mentioned that controversy in this thread (but my position is that the anti-AI people are a bunch of whining crybabies who are fighting a battle they are 100% going to lose).

Way too many people telling Nick Fury he has changed for me to believe that is actual Nick Fury.

Well, that was joyless. I mean, I didn’t expect comedy, but, I don’t know—everyone’s relationship with everyone else is fucked, everything is bleak, and the only thing driving the story is that things might go even bleaker otherwise. I don’t know, but I think there has to be some kind of kernel of hope to fight for, not just greater despair to fight against, for me to engage.

I mean, not that it’s bad, as such, and I’ll keep watching for a bit at least, but I seriously hope they’ll pick up the tone somewhat, or at least introduce some lighter elements.

I thought it was awesome. Nick’s memories of his dissipating in the Blip screwed his mind big time, and he’s been in hiding on the starship. Now it’s time to come back and save the day. I thought Olivia’s character was delightful. I’m enjoying they’re sticking with non-powered humans.

The AI intro was well-done. My guess was that they thought, “Ooo, new tech!” and didn’t stop to think about the possible backlash.

I really want to see a meeting between Olivia Colman’s Sonya Falsworth and Julia Louis-Drefyus’ Countess Valentina Allegra de Fontaine.

Regarding your spoiler, I saw an interview with Cobie Smulders, where she said that she was getting a chance to really develop her character some more, so I’m inclined to say that it doesn’t stick.

Unless this is high-level trolling, the death of Maria Hill is confirmed.

⁽ᵃⁿᵈ ⁿᵒʷ ᶦ ᶠᵒᵘⁿᵈ ʸᵒᵘ ᶜᵃⁿ ᶦⁿ ᶠᵃᶜᵗ ˢᵖᵒᶦˡᵉʳ⁻ᵗᵃᵍ ᵃ ˡᶦⁿᵏ, ⁿᶦᶜᵉ⁾

I too felt the show was a bit boring, didn’t make sense from a motivational perspective, and suffers from continuing to try to make Emilia Clarke happen.

Oh so what.

Do you think Kevin Feige fired the art department at Marvel, Googled some AI image creation tool and said “create some title animation for my new show”? They still have artists creating it. So they are using some AI tool instead of Adobe or fingerpainting or whatever.

There are a few people loudly complaining about the very existence of AI art. Meanwhile, an AI art Facebook group I’m in currently has 172 thousand members

And the Stable Diffusion Reddit group has 334 thousand

https://www.reddit.com/r/StableDiffusion/

AI art is wildly popular, and is here to stay.

I like cloak and dagger stories so I am in but not a fan of how episode one ended.

Marvel ran out of ideas quite some time ago.

When I hear “Nick Fury,” I think of this:

You should. Same guy.

You have a very disappointingly limited concept of how art is created.