Security, or breach of security?

According to this site, over 15, 000 people were able to sneak into the NY Comic Con last year through various means, including badge swapping. This year, they embedded a chip that had to be activated through the Con website through your Twitter account…which also allowed the convention to advertise through your Twitter account without your knowledge, making it look as if the message came from you… More here. I don’t think that this is a good idea, and I would hate for this practice to spread to other venues. What say you?

The ComicCon response indicates it was an opt-in service - was this just people not reading the TOS? If so, it’s just a bad idea on ComicCon’s part (I mean, hijacking Harry Knowles’ twitterfeed? That’s not going to go down well in AICN-land, I’m sure) but it can be countered in future by people watching what they click. If not, it probably crosses over into way bad idea. And yes, I’d hate it if this happened at a con I attended (not that we have anything like that size of con here, damnit!)

The "opt-in part was for the fans to tie in to the con, not for the con to take over their Twitter accounts. From contactmusic.com:

LinkedIn is accused of doing this, or something similar. They badger users to give their e-mail addresses and passwords :eek: then harvest all your contacts from your e-mail account. Then send invitations in your name to all your contacts, to come and join LinkedIn. (I myself have received some of these.)

HuffPo article: LinkedIn Sued For ‘Hacking’ Users’ Email Accounts To Spam Friends

Bloomberg article: LinkedIn Customers Allege Company Hacked E-Mail Addresses

The Independent article: Stranger danger? LinkedIn denies ‘hack and spam’ attacks on members in marketing tussle

This happened right here to one of the mods. and numbers of us got invites in the mod’s name. I’m still pretty pissed, because the mods wouldn’t take any action to prevent a recurrence, so it could happen again.