Seeking clarification

A friend sent me a funny picture in a text message. I uploaded it to imgbb, found a now-meme pic that it reminded me of and posted the two commenting “remember this guy? meet his kin!”

Another poster soon indicated that the 2nd image was 'shopped; my reply is included in the quote box above.

I was somewhat perplexed by the original wording of the Mod Note; thank you for correcting that, What Exit?.

I didn’t know the image was 'shopped until it was pointed out. I could not have labeled it as such when I posted. That doesn’t change the fact that my post was intended as a humorous post, however.

But as I read the Mod Note, nothing can be posted in GD or P&E that is intended as humor unless it is specifically labeled as an attempt at humor? Is this a rule for just me or is this a new board rule?

And lest it not be clear: I will follow the Mod Note and whatever direction I get here in this thread.

I fixed the shopped Pic issue with a small note in the post itself.
Once you found out it was shopped, in the future please flag it and let us know to add a note. I probably won’t be modding the rest of the day, I might be heading for the Doctor’s but I wanted to respond at least while I was sitting down.

Okay

I was not aware of this policy/rule before this, but okay; will do.

In the “serious” forums, I can see that it does make sense to have a rule that 'shopped photographs should be annotated as such. With an image like a cartoon, it’s inherently clear that it’s expressing a point of view or a constructed joke; whereas a photograph generally purports to be documenting reality, funny or otherwise.

I was going to say that it was probably unnecessary here because this one is so obviously 'shopped - ironic, given Bo’s comments here. So I guess sticking strictly to a rule to annotate is best, either at the time of posting if the poster knows, or retrospectively when it’s discovered.

Obvious to you, maybe, but not to everyone. I would suspect that it was photoshopped, but I wouldn’t be sure.

I’m always a little bemused when somebody quotes only the first part of what I wrote, then adds their own comment that paraphrases the part they snipped off as though it’s something I was missing. I mean, what do you think the point of me writing that paragraph was, when I used the word “ironic”, and then said strict annotation is best?

From your later post, I got the impression that you knew it was 'shopped to begin with.

Especially when they end up making the same point that you just did.

:wink:

But don’t sound so harsh, when you say something like this, it’s always important to add a humorous emoji to try to lighten the mood.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: