Serenity Weekend II: who's going?

Actually, I think I am going to go twice this weekend. Sorta. This afternoon I’ll see Serenity. Tomorrow afternoon I’ll buy a ticket for Serenity and theater-hop to see Wallace & Gromit. :smiley:

Serenity did about a million and a half last night, and is in a clump in the 8-10 area in terms of box office rank (with both History of Violence and Into the Blue doing very similar amounts).

Not looking particularly great.

I saw it last weekend and loved it. I’m taking my sister to see it tomorrow. I hope there are sequels.

In case you were wondering on the figures, here you go.

Well I’m not going :frowning: I’m coming down with a filthy cold.

Oh, my husband’s worse than you - he gave his students 5 points extra credit just for showing him the ticket stub! :smiley:

Woot! Serenity opens at #2 in the UK! There is a push on to get it past Pride and Prejudice by Sunday evening. Go, Limeys!! :smiley:

I haven’t seen it yet. I have class during the week and I was worried about crowds last weekend. This weekend I’m attending an annual film festival(Senerity is going to be there tomorrow, the festival won’t).

I do plan to go see Serenity monday afternoon.

Unfortunately, Serenity has dropped to 9th place this weekend.

Weekend estimate is 4.9 million dollars, for a drop of 51% from last weekend, and a total domestic boxoffice to date of 17.6 million dollars.

This is probably as good as it will get, even if word of mouth picks up somewhat, because I expect Doom to push it out of a lot of theaters.

It could still be one of those movies that stays running for a long time at a lower level, picking up 2-3 million a week for a couple of months.

However, on the bright side, it looks to me like it’ll do at least $25 million domestically, and probably as much internationally. That means a big DVD sales showing could push it over the top enough to get a sequel green-lighted, but I’m not holding my breath.

Just got back from seeing it. The theater was about 1/3 full.

Saw it last night and the smallish room we were in was about a third full as well. We should take the movie being made as the victory it was and just forget about a sequel for the time being. It might happen, it might not, but I wouldn’t hope for it too strenuously.

Anyone think all the advanced previews might’ve hurt it the past couple weeks? I think it might be a small factor and fully expect to see the apologists start putting that spin on it if it continues to disappoint in the box office.

Nah. If anything the advance screenings built up a buzz. Oh, well. We got our movie, and we might get more. The international box office and DVD will assure it a profit. Maybe Universal will green-light another one in a year or so. If not…
…we’ll always have Canton.

I have no doubt it will turn a profit, almost all movies do in the long run, I just don’t expect a sequel although I do hope for one if for no other reason than it would be interesting to see how Whedon’s television tendencies translate to the big-screen.

Yes, I was sorely disappointed by the showing here in Louisville — normally a hot bed of SF/Fantasy support. Both times I’ve seen it it has been with a smattering of other folks. My wife, not the fan that I am, but she does like it found more to appreciate the second time through – even began seeing literary references and such (but she thinks like that – rain is Baptisim, rebirth, sorrow; talking about the ship as a metaphor for Zoe’s feelings things like that). For the record she can’t stand Whedon’s other work – she can’t seem to get past the premise for Buffy and Angel and is bothered by it.

I know a number of people who want to go see it, but keep putting it off for one reason or another.

Oh, well, took them two weeks to do what a single week of Wallace and Grommit did and really still being in the top ten after two weeks means there’s still a fighting chance for it to reboud.

I’m hoping it continues to do enough business to keep it going.

The big problem with the movie is that, A) it’s not a family film, B) it has no ‘name’ stars, and C) it’s not based on an existing popular franchise. This puts it in the same category as movies like ‘Gattaca’, which had a similar budget. Compared to that film, Serenity will be a much bigger success.

That means it’s got very limited appeal, I guess. Basically fans of the show, plus the hard-core SF fans who are receptive to this kind of movie.

Another thing that might have hurt this movie is that some of the real hard-core ‘Browncoats’ were turned off by certain developments in the movie, and as a result haven’t seen it again. I was quite surprised by this, but after browsing a couple of ‘Firefly’ message boards I discovered that there is somewhat of a backlash by some of the nuttier fans. I wonder how many would have seen the movie more times had it been a little less dark?

Anyway, if I were Joss and wanted to do another, I’d pitch a concept for a sequel that was much lighter in tone, geared for the family. I’d point out that this movie came out as an unknown, but by the time the DVD has finished selling it will probably have millions of fans. That gives a sequel a much bigger ‘starting’ audience than this movie had.

The big ace in the hole Serenity has is the fact that it was reviewed so well. The critics loved this movie, and that should give a sequel a fair bit of advance buzz that this movie never had (other than among browncoats). If this movie makes a profit, then a more accessible sequel should do well.

Accessible = nekkid Kaylee!!

Why did Joss Wheadon decide to do this?

I mean, he’s certainly savvy about the industry and running two franchises on two low budget networks and one on a medium budget network means, neither of which was extremely successful in terms of ratings, means that he knows how the business end works.
I expect that he’s respected in the industry, more so for his screenplay work than his tv shows, but owning a production company and managing to work within the restraint of a limited tv budget has surely not hurt his credibilty as a showrunner/producer.
He’s now in pre-production for Wonder Woman, slated for a 2007 release. That means he’ll be tied up all of 2006 and a large part of '07. The earliest we could expect a sequel would be 2008, and I really don’t see DVD sales and buzz lasting that long.

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but I suspect that JW did this for a whole set of other reasons than making the bowncoats happy. He got a chance to make his big screen directorial debut with a movie where there wasn’t much of a gamble. He knew all the actors, he knew the story, the setting. Being industry savvy means he knew it would make back the money for Universal, thus not tainting himself as box office poison.
Theatre run in the U.S. should land on $25M. Adding box office from Canada, Europe and Australia will make the rest of the production cost - $39M - and DVD sales will be the icing on the cake. Universal will be happy and JW will have shown that he’s ready to take on a project like Wonder Woman.

Meanwhile, the browncoats got a movie, JW got a shot a wrapping up the franchise and get som come-uppance at Fox (which will make money too, I think). But don’t expect that there ever was plans for a sequel.

That said, I’m looking forward, very much so, to the November opening over here.

I don’t think we’re going to see a sequel unless Nathan Filion hits the big time.

Let’s compare with another niche sci-fi movie, say Pitch Black. Its total box office gross was $39 million over several months, and really the only reason a sequel was made was because Vin Diesel made Fast and Furious and XXX.

So far Serenity hasn’t come close to breaking even, mostly because the movie just isn’t accessible enough for non-fans, and it has managed to alienate browncoats by killing off a few characters.

I don’t think it will be Nathan. If Summer gets a few juicy roles, maybe a critical hit or two, and Wonder Woman is a hit…then we might get another one. But I’ll bet dollars to donuts Joss won’t direct the sequel. He’ll write it, but he’ll let someone else (Tim Minear maybe?) direct it.