Series you've recently watched, are now watching or have given up on

im giving up on the food networks Halloween/pumpkin wars because they totally changed the format and its dumb as hell now

Ok what this show is it’s mainly a decorative sculpting show where there’s a pumpkin carver and various food artist who make a “scene” that’s not edible they do make a little snack but eating it isn’t the point you’re trying to make soemthing that fits the theme and looks scary

here’s a better explanation

This year they totally dicked with the format … 1 there’s no pumpkin carving and its just another cake show now 2 the pre-recorded so-called ghost hunter thing is dumb and doesn’t a damn thing for the show,
and the judging …the original judge is still ok and arrti sequeria as the " nice "judge isnt bad but eddie jackson is good as a host doing things like making sure things run on time but is a horrible as a judge and there’s no "guest "judge usually someone involved in horror movies/books although might be a covid thing

but this season sucks ,

Surprised to find no mention of “Russian Doll” in this thread. It’s a variation on the theme of “Groundhog Day”, so not original in concept but executed very well from an acting and writing point of view. I found the abrasive lead character very likeable, despite her inherent unlikability. I’d attend her birthday party, over and over.

I liked Russian Doll very much. Season 2 should happen soonish.

I binged all of the available episodes of Only Murders in the Building last night. I found the humor predictable, but luckily it’s so much more than just another comedy. The chemistry between the actors is fantastic, and the storyline is compelling. Going to keep watching.

More an anthology than a series, but I watched four of the five episodes of the Taiwanese On Children this past weekend and it’s outstanding! Reading reviews, I see a lot of comparisons to Black Mirror, which apparently focuses on Sci Fi aspect, but there’s also some supernatural elements also.

The dialog is Taiwanese Mandarin with English subtitles. I’m not sure if it’s still available on Netflix, but if it is, I highly recommend a view!

The Wiki entry says there are ten episodes, but there’s actually only five stories, apparently shown in two parts in the original run. I was excited thinking there were five more stories! SIGH

This, translated from the Taiwanese website explains the the series best:

"Origin

Adapted the work “Your Child is Not Your Child” by writer Wu Xiaole (Dakuai Culture Publishing Co., Ltd.). The author looks deeply into the emotional abyss of each family with keen observation, and sees one child after another being drawn into a vortex that is difficult to get out of. The love of parents is a curse that children can’t get rid of. This is a story written for parents and children. Everyone will find the shadow of their own growth. The title of the book/play seems to be a common outlet for these different difficulties.

The original book is a collection of nine stories about family teachers contacting different families, covering various social issues in Taiwan. After the adaptation of the drama, it became five stories “Mom’s Remote Control”, “Cat’s Child”, “The Last Day of Jasmine”, “Peacock”, and “Must Overactive”, which deeply describe the restrained and unbalanced family in the name of love A high-pressure society of relations and deterioration.

The arrangement uses two episodes as one story, an Anthology Series rarely seen in Taiwan (Poetry Selected Drama: refers to a TV show series with different stories and characters in each episode). For example, CBS “Yin and Yang Devildom” in the United States and the fourth “Black Mirror” in the United Kingdom belong to this category.

This drama breaks away from the warmth of common educational themes and adds micro-science fiction elements. It packs realistic stories with a magical and strong visual style, a bright narrative rhythm, and has a strong audio-visual entertainment intensity."

Source: 公共電視_你的孩子不是你的孩子

Absolutely loved it, but at the time this thread started it didn’t count as “recently watched” for me. The writing is absolutely solid, a perfect balance of plot progression, world building and character development crammed effortlessly into each 22-minute episode. Not sure how I feel about a second season - the first season was so good I don’t want them to ruin it with a less-good second.

Also, Natasha Lyonne is brilliant as the lead character.

That was my thought as well when @GreysonCarlisle mentioned there was a second season on the way.

Goliath’s fifth and final season is now out on Amazon Prime.

Goliath falls into the “given up on” category for me. The first season was a nice noir-ish detective story, but seasons 2 and 3 just got weird-for-the-sake-of-weird.

Agree , season one of Goliath good, the second got way weird and gruesome and we gave up.

My wife and I are 2 episodes into S5 of Goliath. Meh, it’s losing it’s edge. McBride doesn’t have enough personality to keep the plot moving so it needs a supporting cast, in this season they’re lacking that depth. We need some new people and the old formula has to be freshened up or we’re giving up on it.

I’ve only got four seasons on my Prime but it still badges S4 as the “final” one. Am I missing something?

My bad, you are right. Season 4, final season.

Agreed. I liked Season 4, but more of the same. Good series, but it beat the same drum too long. It was time to end it.

I’m giving Beforeigners a shot. Love the coined term “beforeigners” to describe the time travelers, and like someone else above I find the show to be amusing rather than serious.

We’re now starting season 5 of “The Wire” re-watch. The show is still as riveting and relevant as it was the first time around. I read where Ed Burns is doing a series with Felicia “Snoop” Pearson about her life. She was originally brought to the show by Michael Williams, after her release from prison.

Binged The Righteous Gemstones recently. It’s about a rich televangelist family, with John Goodman as the patriarch. Excellent series, a good blend of comedy and drama and satire. They sure did find a lot of reasons to show penises though. Not John Goodman’s at least.

That led me to another Danny McBride series Vice Principals with several of the same cast members. It isn’t quite as good as the Gemstones, but well worth watching.

Also watching and enjoying Only Murders in the Building.

I watched the first episode of See on apple TV last night for my exercise show.
It was fine although I am struggling a bit with the suspension of disbelief needed for the premises that everyone is blind. It needs a big big hefty suspension, but for some mindless swords and sorcery and epic tale entertainment it seems to work. I’ll plough on through a few more episodes and see how it goes.

Not at all breezy, but seriously brilliant, “Rectify”. Currently on AMC Premiere, I have seen it bounce around different services.

“Sundance Channel’s first wholly owned scripted series stars Aden Young as Daniel Holden, who spends nearly 20 years on death row for the rape and murder of a teenage girl, before new DNA evidence nullifies his conviction. He returns home, but he’s far from welcomed. He’s an outsider now in a town that remains divided by his alleged crime, and contributing to his uncertain future is the man who prosecuted him – riding that notoriety to become a state senator – is plotting to reopen the case. As he struggles to adapt, Daniel is comforted by support from his younger sister, Amantha, who has always believed in his innocence and has worked her entire adult life to secure his release. Not so for Ted Jr., Daniel’s stepbrother with whom he has no relationship. Insecure and manipulative, Ted is skeptical of Daniel’s motives and will do anything to protect his family.”

Another brilliant show, heartbreaking, “River

"River’ is written and co-executive produced by Emmy winner Abi Morgan. The crime drama stars Stellan Skarsgard as detective John River, a genius whose unstable mind leaves him haunted by the ghosts of murder victims. Forever crossing between the worlds of the living and the dead, the officer strives to solve cases of those that occupy his troubled psyche. One death River struggles with is that of his colleague, but as he chases down a suspect, his own irrational behaviour causes a growing concern amongst the police force.

Code 404 recently had a second season, for those not familiar with it.

Would I recommend it? I’m making an “eeeeh” sound while holding my hand flat, palm down, at chest level and wiggling it back and forth a little.

We’ve been watching this too and have the same problem with it. They ride horses? In the wilderness? Having horses myself, I have a REALLY hard time with this one. Also the queen- though I find her story (and her sisters) the most interesting, I can’t stand the way she talks. But it’s decent enough that we keep going though we finished Season 1 and were relieved a little to be done with it then Season 2 dropped like one week later.