Series you've recently watched, are now watching or have given up on

I’m about 6 episodes into Invincible, and about half of them have been tedious, though not soul-crushingly so. I’m enjoying the powers that the heroes and villains have, and a lot of the celebrity voice work. I’ve never been a fan of Sandra Oh, however.

The stupid sub-plot (for me, anyway) is the “will Mark tell Amber that he has powers, or will this be a pastiche of Superman/Lois?”

If there’s one thing over learned from comics, it’s that you can never keep your secret identity completely secret from everyone you know. Especially the love interest. At some point, you have to tell them, or it becomes a grotesque parody of itself. The lame excuses for disappearing right when danger appears would stop any relationship in its tracks very early.

How long did it take for Lois Lane to figure out Clark/Superman in the canon? Some reporter she is.

Amber won’t put up with that shit too longer. Zazie Beetzis too smart for that plot non-twist.

The secret identity thing gets resolved in a suitably genre-savvy way, although the way the relationship itself progresses wasn’t to my taste.

I’m guessing that, at some point, Mark and Eve get together , since that seems to be the way it’s setting things up.

In the series, so far, Nope. He’s with Amber by end of the season. I was complaining about the way Amber reacts to his secret.. In the comics, Yep, eventually.

American Horror Story My wife is a fan and watches all of them and I generally don’t mind having it on in the living room while I play games or work on my computer, (save for Freak Show that was just misery and cruelty I can’t enjoy). Sometimes it draws me in, Coven was fantastic campy fun and I watched every episode. So far after 4 episodes Season 10 is growing on me enough that my wife isn’t allowed to watch it without me.

I thought I’d give Katla (Netflix) a try. It’s an Icelandic series and is typical Nordic noire, grim and depressing. You know it’s grim when they have to bring in a Swede to lighten the mood. Erupting volcano, people returning from the dead. I don’t think I can stick with it.

While browsing for something new to watch Katla caught my eye. I ended up binging all 8 episodes that day. Mostly out of curiosity for the explanation. If you can kind of get past the “how is this possible”, it is a more interesting view to see how the people deal with these “returnees”.

At first I thought it was a spin on “Pet Cemetery”. But upon further thought, it is actually a spin on the Star Trek TOS “Shore Leave” episode concept.

Katla takes itself too seriously; Ragnarok seems like a better bet, I’d suggest.

The culture clash is what had me laughing. The detective trying to justify his carpal tunnel arm brace to the Viking shield maiden had me in tears! Plus the odd juxtaposition of a modern society with the random stone-age dude sitting in a tree. It all just left me with a smile the whole time I watched it.

I love Tia Leoni, but I could not make it through even the first episode of Madam Secretary, let alone 6 seasons(!?!).

Just finished Long Way Down where ewan and charlie drive their bikes from Scotland to South Africa. Great show , not ad good as the other two but still.

Now to find another show for exercise time.

Anyone seen the first episode of Foundation? Thumbs up or down?

I just started on The Orville, mainly because Adrienne Palicki is in it, who did a fine job in Agents of Shield. This is a good series, why didn’t anyone tell me about it? (I know, you did, but I didn’t listen) It has apparently recently become available on Disney Plus in Europe.

I’m at s01e04 (If the starts should appear) right now. It is steadily improving in quality, the pilot was fine as an easy watch but this ep is really strong. Good SF with subdued humour.

About the Foundation series: hadn’t realized it had started, will take a look.

We’ve been going old-school and tearing through 24.

I had watched a few seasons back when it was current, never thought it would be the wife’s cup of tea.

Turns out, she loves her Jack Bauer. (of course she does)

9 seasons, 24 episodes each. We are finishing up season 6.

Yeah, that’s a lot of Jack.

Repetitive and predictable, but still lots of fun to watch.

mmm

I decided to try out Apple TV and so I started Ted Lasso, which is great so far.
And I watched the first new episode of The Great British Baking Show on Netflix. I’d rather binge that one, but they aren’t releasing it in full. Oh well, still good fun.

Watched the first episode of “Superman and Lois”. Not sure I can take much of that kid with the lipstick.

If you’ve made it through the first four episodes of The Orville you’re through the worst of it. There are still a few duffers in the first two seasons but a lot of excellent episodes too.

S3 due out next March IIRC, with a new title: The Orville: New Horizons.

If you like Adrianne Palicki, she was in many episodes of the NBC series Friday Night Lights, which is set in a small Texas town and focuses on the high school football team. It’s a very, very good show, even if you don’t like football.

I just finished Reservation Dogs, and I enjoyed it. I’ve put my commentary in the RD thread.

Almost the right season for it, so I’m looking for something creepy to start. Probably try American Horror Story soon.

At our daughter’s suggestion, we started watching Manifest on Netflix last night. It reminds me a little bit of The 4400 which we started and never finished. I think Manifest has more potential.

Did anyone finish the 4400? It was really good for a couple of seasons and fizzled out. I remember having got Season 4 and was too bored with it to bother watching it. About the time when Heroes had the one good season and got bad,