Seriously, twickster?

That’s precisely why it should be moved from Cafe Society.

Balls. As I said, nobody wants to know each and every gory detail. But also nobody wants to spend two pages demanding the death sentance for a gang of rapists, only to eventually be told that the sexual assault was a waiter slapping her on the arse.

Its not about calibration of outrage, its about requiring information before making judgements. And before you say it, no I didnt just make light of this ladies suffering, I was merely making the point that when I and others opened that thread, we had not the faintest idea what actually happened to this lady. So the question was asked. Hardly unreasonable.

You may try to paint it as “gathering detail for gloating purposes”, but frankly thats insulting, and to my mind, evidence of an appalling lack of subjectivity. Something the mod in question obviously suffers from.

What others “consider outrageously inappropriate and unnecessary” will never be a factor in what I post. Its not for me to protect their sensibilities.

I, too, think that twickster’s post in that thread was unnecessarily harsh and uncalled for in the forum in which it was posted. If it was made by anyone else, there would have been a mod note at the least telling the person in question (not devilsknew) to knock it off and take it to the Pit. I think a formal public apology from twicks to devilsknew is clearly in order.

I also want to commend Marley for doing what twicks should have done and modding the thread correctly in post #33 without the personal insult.

Balls right back atcha. The original article stated that in a mob of 200 people, she was surrounded and “suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating.” It’s RIGHT THERE in the original article that we’re not talking about a friggin’ waiter slapping her on the ass.

Then, the conversation degenerated into a “well, sometimes a tit grab is sexual assault” “sometimes somebody patting a woman on the ass is accused of sexual assault” irrelevant discussion that did not have anything whatsoever to do with the original news report, in which it was reported that she was surrounded by a frenzied mob who then beat and sexually assaulted her.

I think it’s perfectly fine to assume that if a woman is surrounded by a mob and then beaten, the “sexual assault” part of that is probably NOT going to be “oh, and while I’m beating up this lady, I’m also going to casually slap her ass.”

Asking disingenuous questions was not necessary.

It was bullshit modding, and the “what the fuck is wrong with you” comments were disgusting.

Wanting to know the (non lurid) details of a widely reported news story is human and completely understandable. The concept of “oh it can’t even be discussed” is comparable to the courtroom scene from To Kill A Mockingbird. (If my memory serves me even a little bit. Always an iffy if.)

Why is it my right to know what the reporter endured? It isn’t. But if the information is publicly available I’m interested in the rough details of what actually happened.

If you think that’s disgusting, then please campaign to keep all threads about this incident and similar incidents off of the SDMB. Anything else would not be respecting the woman’s privacy. Or at least refer to the victim as “Mr. or Ms. X” rather than constantly repeating their names and unnecessarily referencing their gender.

Let it go y’all, She’s Derek Trucks’ wife. Keep it up and you’ll all be singing the blues. :rolleyes:

I think twickster knows she messed up. Usually when these threads start about her, she’ll post something real quick and then announce that that’s all she’s going to say on the matter. This thread has been open all day with nary a peep from her.

OK as the instigator of the mess I guess I should say something. First I did find devilsknew’s comments annoying. They read like this:

“Lara Logan was brutally assaulted while covering the Egyptian revolt.”
“My god, that’s horrible.”
“I hope she recovers quickly.”
“DETAILS, MAN, I NEED DETAILS!!!” pantpantpant

At best it’s low-class purience, at worst it’s sick masturbation fodder. If Baal Houtham finds me “disgusting” for being annoyed by this, I suppose that will be my cross to bear.

That said, I was out of line for the forum. I really did think it was in the pit, where RO threads tend to be. I don’t really have a beef with devilsknew, who I find entertaining, despite the fact (or because of it) that his posts are often incomprehensible.

I will say that the mod note was not what I was expecting. I thought it would just be “Apology accepted, just bear in mind what forum you’re in.” I was surprised by the tone it took.

Reminds me of the old joke where the victim is crying and says that she can’t remember what happened next and the judge says… As he’s masterbating under his robe,“Make somthing up, damn it!”

The issue being discussed here isn’t a poster asking for details about a sexual assault. It’s that a mod of these forums said something inappropriate to a poster, and this sort of thing seems to happen with this particular mod a lot.

As Alice the Goon says upstream, this thread is actually about Twickster’s moderation.

But here’s the exchange that you refer to as “sick masturbation fodder”:

devilsknew:
Not to be lurid or disrespectful, but what exactly entails “sexual assault”? I mean was she just assaulted violently and her clothes ripped off or something?

Ferret Herder:
Considering the words “brutal” and “sustained” used in the first sentence, I’m assuming it was much, much worse than just being stripped and beaten, as your question might suggest.

devilsknew:
What seperates sexual assault from a just plain old assault?

Ferret Herder:
Molestation of the genitals or breasts, sexual penetration, that sort of thing. Exact legal definition can vary depending on jurisdiction.

**devilsknew **:
Wouldn’t that just be rape, what with penetration and all? I mean was she raped?

Larry Borgia:
What the fuck is wrong with you?

The whole thread is obsessing over an assault on a celebrity, and how horrible it was. Someone asks what actually happened (and specifically says “not to be disrespectful”) and you see that as sick masturbation fodder.

And then you come here and give a recount (with bonus panting) that has, IMO, little resemblance to the actual posts.

But enough off topic comments.

Bollocks. If you want me to care that someone was assaulted then it is a reasonable request to want to understand some minor details of what actually happened. I don’t even know who the victim is. I couldn’t ID her from TV or or even have heard her name before. I sympathize with the fact that she was assaulted in some manner, but I have to know some detail to calibrate my outrage. I’ll say it, I don’t give a shit. There is world of difference between a beating and some sexual misconduct, like ripping her clothes off, and a sustained gang rape. If you don’t see the difference then you are only fooling yourself.

If you want me to give a shit, then give me enough information to make an informed decision. Otherwise all I hear is: A western female reporter was assaulted while covering a story on unruly behaviour in a country where women are commonly treated like livestock. Big freakin’ surprise.

Miller pretty much threatens a poster with banning for thinking badly about a mod, so watch out all of you.

twickster really is quite horrible though. I remember her (?) giving out an official warning to, I think, Czarcasm for quoting a movie.

I try not to take sides and I don’t think any of our mods are infallible, but an apology is needed here, IMO.

I myself have a non-removable 1st strike from twix, but I have to say it was well-deserved (look up “Bier Krieg”). I didn’t listen when she told me to cut it out.

Here? I’d have to say “WTF is wrong with you?” is a little too strong, because if it were said to me, I may not take offense, but you can bet your ass I’d go into it in minute detail! :slight_smile:

Q

Claude Remains is not one of our more congenial posters and no doubt has a “rap sheet”.
The warning was not for “thinking badly about a mod”. Read the post again. For comprehension.

I’m well aware of what the post says. Your condescension is not appreciated.

And yet you apparently don’t understand what it means.

As Miller quite clearly points out, Claude Remains clearly and unequivocally broke three rules in a single thread. Whatever you think about twickster’s moderating in this case, Miller’s was unexceptionable, IMO.

From the ill-fated pit thread:

To be fair, she started it (in her capacity as a moderator, even).

This is the only time I’ve ever seen something here to do with moderation and even considered starting a thread about it. How could twickster say “apology accepted” for the original “What the fuck is wrong with you?”, therefore acknowledging that it was an inappropriate thing to say, and then in the next sentence repeat the comment?!

I rarely get involved in these kinds of threads and I like twicks as a poster, but she is clearly not built to be a mod. Step down twicks, it’ll save you the aggravation.