Shaking up old arguments

Well done, Sample. I laughed, I cried. It moved me. Have a biscuit.
(Seriously, that was great.)

Oh, and “waterballs” are what Clumsy Carp used to make.
RR

Y’all do know that Sample_the_Dog’s post was from 2005? And he/she pretty much hasn’t posted since then.

irspariah has resurrected a thread from long, long ago. It seems to be still live, so go right ahead, but don’t think that it’s a current conversation.

I saw a movie where the main character called one of these things “Rosebud”. That was his last word on the subject.

I’ve also heard “SnowGlobes”.

So here we are almost 6 years after this thread started, and the home page is showing this classic article again, and still the final word from Cecil on this matter is:

AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!

He should check this thread and set his mind at ease, as it is pretty obvious that “snowglobes” is the most common term (and the only one I’ve ever heard outside of the article and this thread), and “shake em ups” was a poorly-chosen flight of fancy that I’m sure is to be blamed on Cecil’s assistants.

Not necessarily. It could be what Cecil’s mother called ’em. “Snowglobe” is certainly what I’m familiar with, although I can see why the ones that have flat bases instead of pedestals, and are often not round when seen from above, either, would be called “snowdomes” instead.

The current responses on Googlefight are:

shake-em-ups 1,250,000
snowdomes 17,000
snowies 5,470
snow storms 261
snow globes 233
snow domes 179
waterballs 125
waterglobes 124

These numbers come with a big however, though. When you plug shake-em-ups into google image, you don’t get pictures of those little water filled things with scenes in them that you shake to make fake snow swirl around. You mostly get pictures of different people, with an occasional martini shaker.

And the numbers are changing, so I think this thread is having a bit of an effect. Therefore: snowglobes!

To be fair, that was his last word on any subject.

Another vote for “snow globes.” That’s what I’ve always heard. There’s a Wikipedia entry, too. Also lists alternative terms, but “shake-em ups,” which I’ve never heard before, is not one of them.