Shall We Discuss Peanut Butter? And, p'raps Jelly? Yes. We Shall.

This is the ONLY way to go when building a PB sammich. I’ve been doing this for years; Learned it at my mother’s knee.

PB & Honey with a BIG glass of COLD buttermilk: Nothing better.

My PB&J tends to be white bread, smooth PB & grape jelly (Smucker’s Concord is awesome). I’ve also long been a fan of PB&Banana, as well as of a “Fluffernutter” (PB with Marshmallow fluff). I haven’t had them in a long time. Oh, and a BIG glass of moo juice to wash it down.

Sometimes the yen hits me for a peanut butter & butter sandwich - which is also one of the ways I like my bagels (when I’m not having cream cheese.) However, when I was a kid, I was allergic to tomatoes. So my mom came up with an alternative to a BLT - a BLPB (bacon, lettuce & peanut butter.) It’s remarkably tasty…but these days I’d probably leave off the lettuce & just have the bacon/PB (which is also a good filling for celery sticks.)

Not as weird as PB & pickle, but up there. Yum…might have to have one soon.

:smiley:

Darn you all!

:: puts strawberry jam & orange marmelade on grocery list::

PB - Simply Jif is the current PB of choice in our household - natural PB is too much of a PITA to keep well-mixed, in my experience. Usually goes on toast, or as a dip for Granny Smith apples.

Former sandwiches: PB & mayo, PB & lettuce, toasted PBJ. I grew out of the former and the latter is messy, but good.

J: haven’t had any in quite a while, to be honest (but see above)

Bread: Brownberry Health Nut - the brown label. Nice & solid with lovely walnut & sunflower nut chunks. Toasted, it’s divine!

I have never in my life had a PB & J sandwich. I hate, hate, HATE jelly (and jam). Something about the texture of it, I think. Just having it in my mouth makes me gag. And don’t get me started on the wrongness of jelly doughnuts.

I did, however, grow up on Fluffernutters.

With regard to the PB, mark me in the “chunky” column. Recently I was in the supermarket looking at peanut butter, and a father and his teenage son were doing the same. The son said something to the effect of “Ew, who the hell eats chunky peanut butter?” and the father said “Well, somebody must eat it or they wouldn’t make it.”
I boggled. Chunky is, to my mind, the entire point of peanut butter. I wouldn’t refuse to eat smooth, but it somehow seems…I don’t know…inauthentic…

My fav breakfast (short of being fed by male sex slaves) is chunky peanut butter on a chocolate chip (toasted) bagel and a large ice cold glass of milk…

Fills me up for almost 7 hours (handy at work).

I prefer smooth, organic peanut butter with apricot jam. Any store-bought bread is nothing but a chewy carrier for the PBJ, but a PBJ made with my dad’s homemade bread is a thing of wonder and beauty.

To me, what is really important when I have a PBJ is that the peanut butter goes on both pieces of bread. Otherwise, the bread absorbs the jelly and becomes icky. Of course, you have to be wary of the jelly sliding out the opposite side of the sandwich, but it’s a small price to pay for unjellied bread.

How about PB&J Noodles?

Prepare a standard package of ramen noodles per instructions add the head ache inducing flavoring packet (your preference in flavor) and strain about three quarters of the soup/liquid off. Add two generous tablespoons of your favorite peanut butter and a teaspoon of jalapeno jelly. Season with your favorite hot sauce and a bit of soy or fish sauce. Slurp with chopsticks. (The noodles shouldn’t be soupy- this is a thick sauce.).
Manna from heaven, Trust me!

I am too fat to eat PB & J anymore.

Actually I was too fat to eat PB & J 10 pounds ago–now I’m too fat to even have the ingredients in the house.

If I gain another 5 pounds, I will be too fat to read this thread anymore.

I can still have a glass of milk and reminisce about PB & J, though I’m not sure that’s wise.

MMmmmm…PB & J and milk. Milk and PB & J. PB and Milk & J.

Mmm. Well, I’ve got two faves.

The PB&J I grew up on: Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat bread. Reduced-fat creamy Skippy. Smuckers grape jelly.

The PB&J of choice now: Trader Joe’s organic white bread, organic sugar-free peanut butter from Whole Foods. Whatever grape jelly.

It’s gotta be creamy, and it’s gotta be grape. That’s all that matters.

Peanut butter, olive spread (aka tapenade), and some berry jam or perserves. The saltiness of the olive spread goes great with the sweetness of the preserves.

You should try PB & Maple Syrup.

Since moving to Australia, I’ve largely subsisted on PB&Js. I’ve had trouble getting used to the food here, so they’ve been my comfort food.

I get fresh white bread from the local bakery.

Kraft Peanut Butter (because there is only one other brand at the grocery store and I figure Kraft can’t screw it up too bad - the other is Australian made and I assume they know absolutely nothing about peanut butter).

Strawberry Jam. Fellow PB&J-ers, if you’re ever in Australia and need to make a sandwich, DON’T buy the “conserve”. It tastes like sugar jelly - no fruity flavor AT ALL!! Jam all the way, man.

My son has been in this country too long and, unfortunately, we’ve lost him. He won’t eat PB&Js and instead clamors for Vegemite & cheese sandwiches. Blech.

I say NO! to peanut butter!

I know it makes me less than human, but I really don’t like it. My mom and I used to fight about my lunches constantly when I was a child. Is it that much harder to make just a jelly or jam sandwich? On the other hand, my brother hates jelly and wanted only PB. So, we used to take that brief moment before school nearly every morning (when it wasn’t old-fashioned loaf day) to separate and trade halves. Problem solved. Bon Apetit!

Jif Creamy. With whole wheat bread and whole milk. Jelly (preferably strawberry) optional, all else mandatory.

:smiley: I used to make those when I was eight! :smiley:

You should try some of the other brands C3. They’re vastly superior to that Kraft muck.

IMHO the best peanut butter is Teddy brand (it’s a small company that makes “all natural” and “super chunky”). For bread: any kinda white bread. For jelly: any knida grape jelly.

Oh, and BTW; lobster is one of the best foods ever.

Posting drunk again,

OK how many of you *had * to eat a PB&J sandwich because of this thread? Because I know that’s what I had for dinner last night!

I’m a fan of fruit spread (St Dalfour) but unfortunately for me, they no longer sell this in blackcurrant.

-Whimper- How about if we Doperboys all got together and volunteered to be your male sex slaves and to take turns feeding you your favorite pb & j bagel sammich with the required large ice cold glass of milk?

Would that be okay?

:smiley: