Share your Covidiot stories

Is “can’t wear a mask” a legitimate disability?

Also, if you have legitimate medical reasons why you are unable to wear even a paper examination mask, what would a COVID-19 infection or the flu or pneumonia do to you? If you can’t wear a mask, you should probably stay home.

In @kayaker’s anecdote, the woman who refused to wear a mask claimed to have trouble breathing, which could have been because she had f@%#ing Covid and would have been infecting everyone else by not wearing a mask.

I’ll drop it in this thread.

I have heard about people with rashes or swelling of the face who would find a mask very uncomfortable. But I would expect those people to have thought about the problem of how to safely obtain supplies or otherwise interact with people in advance, and not just try to enter a store maskless and hope for the best.

Sorry, but I’m not going that far out of my way to accommodate people. I see people by appointment. They are told about our mask policy when the appointment is scheduled, again when someone calls to confirm.

Can’t wear a mask? Sorry, maybe try elsewhere to see if they’ll accommodate your situation, I cannot.

FERRY COUNTY, Wash. — Ferry County has experienced a “sharp increase” in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations following a three-day-long superspreader event in the small north-central Washington town of Republic, health officials said.

The event was set up to recruit new Fraternal Order of Eagles members the weekend of April 9-11. Some said it was advertised as a protest against COVID-19 restrictions. Jeff King, the club president, said it was simply a dinner and poker night to attract new members.

As of May 3rd, this event spawned 106 new cases. The article said that one person has died, but I thought I heard on the news this morning that two have now died.

‘Simply a dinner and poker night to attract new members’? More like a dinner and poker THREE nights.

FWIW, it’s pretty conservative east of the mountains.

That’s where gubernatorial loser Loren Culp was from.

Around these parts, if you showed up for your shot sans mask, you would be given one. And you would wear it (properly) for the duration. Or Mister Security Guard would remove you from the premises promptly. And everyone knows it.

Found out today that my cousin’s son-in-law, who refused to wear a mask and declared COVID to be a hoax - well, he’s got it, and he gave it to his wife, too. Good job, dude. Hope your 3-y/o daughter is OK.

Is it any surprise that he lives in Florida??

How did you miss the obvious explanation - they are conducting a selective breeding program for people who are very lucky.

Tesla Brown?

Nice one!

TBH besides government buildings, the only place I’ve seen mask enforcement is at the dispensaries. We have our FREEDUMS here.

I remember my first pandemic dispensary visit. I hadn’t yet been in a grocery or other store, but my cannabis supply was dwindling. They’re already setup with security in mind. They adapted quickly and effectively. And of course, stoners all complied.

Kudos Cresco/Sunnyside!

When the stay at home order was announced, I went right to my salon and bought them out of my favorite soap, shampoo and conditioner. Next stop was the liquor store to stock up and finally the dispensary where I filled my entire allotment.

Other people had other priorities, of course.

Earlier this morning I went in for my yearly mammogram. The lab is at a Stanford-linked facility, so it’s not a rural, poorly-staffed place.

The radiologist asked if I had been vaccinated, and when. She said it was important to know because they’ve been getting some false positives on the side you were vaccinated on, as the lymph glands there might still be a little swollen. I chatted with her a bit and said “I don’t need to ask if you’ve been vaccinated yet, as you’re a healthcare worker”. She looked a little sheepish and said, well, I was going to try to have a baby later this year, so no, I haven’t been vaccinated.

I was so taken aback that I didn’t say anything. Then she proceeded to arrange me on the mammogram machine, and as all you ladies know, the radiologist gets her face to within about 10 inches of your face as she works with you. We were both wearing masks, of course.

I’d like to contact the radiology lab and say something, but I know that if a healthcare worker refuses vaccination, there’s nothing the employer can do. But still! A radiologist might be seeing a dozen or more women a day, and given the close contact, I would hope they’d be among the first to be vaccinated.

Something like 20 to 30% of all healthcare workers aren’t vaccinated on a nationwide basis. Some a re clerks. SOme are home health or old folks’ home’s caregivers. Others are brain surgeons.

But apparently none of them are rocket scientists because with vanishingly few exceptions they’re all making a really, really dumb decision.

Can’t someone be fired for any reason? Seems a good enough reason to me.

As long as it’s not a religiously-inspired vaccine refusal, it would certainly be legal to fire such a person. Whether it’s desirable or practical may be answered differently by different people.