Share your favorite Crock Pot recipes

I hate pie. I prefer cake.

Let it out. Tell us how you really feel.

Portuguese Caçoila

2-3 lbs. pork butt, cut into large chunks

2 onions sliced into rings

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 tsp. red pepper flakes

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. paprika

3/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1 cup orange juice

1 cup red wine

I cup water
Add all ingredients to crock pot and mix to coat. (I put the red pepper flakes in a steel mesh tea ball for later removal, but you can just mix it in.) Cook on high for 4-5 hours until pork easily falls apart. Shred pork and serve on soft Portuguese rolls.

Apart from making the rolls myself, is this something a typical bakery would have? I would love to try this recipe, it sounds fantastic

The CrockPot - a busy person’s best friend :slight_smile:

The taco beef sounds good! And the BBQ chicken is a family favorite.

Here’s one of our favorites:

Italian herb chicken
(for 4 people)

2 cans of crushed tomatoes
2 cans of tomato sauce
2 cans of tomato paste
1/4 cup of Italian Herbs and Seasoning
small package of mushrooms, diced
6-8 chicken drumsticks or thighs

Morning prep:
Mix up all the tomatoes, mushrooms and herbs in bowl
Put chicken in crockpot, and pour tomato mix over it, mix it up a bit to bury chicken in sauce.

Cook on low about 8 hours

Final prep:
Make around 3-4 cups of rice (white/brown or a mix)

Make a bed of rice on the plate, place 2 pieces of chicken, and pour sauce over chicken and rice

Add your favorite veggies on the side.

We have Portuguese rolls at the grocery store. They’re a slightly sweet dinner/sandwich roll.

I’ll have to look at my local Kroger and see if they have them.

I wonder if the King’s Hawaiian brand rolls are similar to Portuguese in flavor, they’re fluffy and slightly sweet. Even if they aren’t, I bet they’d be awesome with that recipe.

Hawaiian rolls are soft all around. Portuguese rolls are more crusty. They’re not as sweet like a Hawaiian roll, and have a more delicate texture than Italian bread.

I’m sure lots of different rolls would be yummy with that recipe!

Turkey drumsticks, onions, bay leaves, salt and pepper and just enough water to nearly cover them.

When they’re done, drain them and set aside to cool - take out the bay leaves and blend the cooking liquor, then thicken it to make gravy. Pick the meat off the bones (watch out for all the small, sharp ligaments) and put it in the gravy to keep it moist.

Cheap, delicious, tender meat.

Mmmmm, cooking liquor. :wink:

A related question. I sometimes do the fake BBQ thing in the crockpot (I’m Australian, so leave me alone, purists) with country style ribs. I’m never sure what to DO with it - my (American) husband says we should put it on bread rolls with coleslaw - a bit weird, but OK. Sometimes I also fry it up mock-carnitas style, and serve on tortillas with Mex-ish things… But even a small package of pork makes many mealsworths of meat - what do I do with it the next night? And the next next?

I love:

pig potatoes – baked potatoes topped with BBQ meat and sauce

pig salads – green salad topped with the same.

The pulled pork will freeze very nicely if you want to save some for later.

I just wanted to say that I bought a slow cooker yesterday and now my place smells awesome and I had a great meal.

I’ll be combing over this thread for meal ideas.

Best ribs I’ve made:

Find a dry rub you think you might like, or, failing that, salt & pepper. Apply liberally to ribs.
Put the ribs into the slow-cooker. I’ve read online that it’s better to stand them up on edge.
Cook from noon on high, or from morning on low. Near suppertime, try and take them out of the slow-cooker, without them falling apart. Go ahead, I dare you. throw them on the grill, long enough to sear them, with bbq sauce.

Bumping my own thread.
But only because I tried this recipe and it was amazing. It took about 7 minutes to put together and the flavor was fantastic. I fried up some flour tortilla strips to go with it and added a dollop of sour cream. Perfect cold weather soup!

A variant of the Crock Pot Dump Cake up thread,

Cornbread Cobbler
Pie Filling, 1 can. (I prefer just about anything to blueberry because blueberry is so sweet)
frozen berry mix, about 1 can (as in 1 part pie filling, 1 part frozen berries)
Cornbread about 2/3rds the amount you would use to make a 9x9 pan of cornbread. this is going to vary, my crockpot is 7 quarts. basically you want to cover the pie filling with a layer of cornbread about 1/4" deep or so.

cook on high for 3-4 hours, at the end you may want to put the crock in the oven on broil for 5 min or so to brown up the top.

optional, the first time I made this I was worried about the cornbread mixing with the pie filling to much so I sliced up an apple very thin and made a layer of apple slices on top of the filling before adding the cornbread, worked well and tasted great.

I made this lentil and beef stew last week and it was a winner. I shared it with a friend and he’s already bugging me to make it again. :slight_smile:

The recipe is off a Colombian cooking blog. The only thing I did differently was to add a small can of chopped adobo chilies, which added a nice bit of heat.

I bookmarked this recipe. I’m going to try it next week :slight_smile:

I have been making so-so Italian beef sandwiches. Oven roasting the beef was fine, but I couldn’t slice the meat thin enough, and it would dry out in storage afterwords.
My friend to the rescue with an incredibly simple Crock Pot recipe:

Roast of beef (I used 2 lbs.)
Jars of peppeoncini peppers (I used 2)
I seasoned the meat with black pepper and garlic powder.
I flipped the meat over after 4 hrs.
That’s it. 8 hrs. on low, and it’s fork shredding time.
It sounds too easy, but it’s the sh**! try it!
I’ll never roast beef for sammitches again!