Share your favorite new song of 2023

Yes, yes, I know the average Doper is an old fart who believes music attained scientific perfection in 1974. Bear with me.

It’s getting near the time of year when I post my annual “Best #1 of the year” poll, and almost the 10th anniversary of when I ran a year-by-year thread series of every #1 in Billboard history. (The polls were lost in the move to Discourse, but we ultimately decided that “Satisfaction” is the greatest number-one hit of all time. Maybe I’ll rerun the series for its 10th anniversary.) As much as I try to keep an open mind about new music, though, I haven’t been listening to as much current pop as I used to and it’s been a struggle for me to keep up, and the new songs that I have been enjoying aren’t the kind that usually top the charts.

I thought, therefore, that it’d be fun to ask the Teeming Millions - what song came out this year that you really really like? Any genre, any artist, the only requirement is that it came out sometime in The Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand And Twenty-Three.

My pick goes to “Money Game Pt. 3” by British singer/rapper Ren. I don’t believe it charted as a single, but the album it’s on made #1 in the UK, and it’s a hell of a story song with a really compelling video to go with it.

Feel free to share yours.

I’m the last person to ask what the best songs from 2023 are, but one that has wormed its way into my favorites playlist this year is:

I’m going to cheat and drop a song from the end of 2022, but it has had legs through 2023 for me.

KMFDM - Hyena

I really like Wednesday - really clever, observational songs with a nice individual sound. I listened a lot during the year to Rat Saw God particularly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhxn9SGxXcQ

Here’s a song from this year I like a lot: “You Only Love Me” by Rita Ora

Probably get him back! by Olivia Rodrigo (assuming none of the (Taylor’s Version) re-releases count as “new”

They were recorded this year, so I’d say they count, just as much as one of the best jams of this year is a straight cover of a song from 1988 which changes nothing from the original.

According to my Spotify Unwrapped, my favorite song that was released in 2023 was “Standing Room Only” Tim McGraw.

Hehehe, love that track. I turn it up even though they copped the melody from “Waterloo Sunset”.

Mine from this year is just about anything off of Ohsees’ Intercepted Message, so the title track will do.

Spotify says my #1 2023 listen was Miya Folick, “So Clear”. I’m not sure I would have guessed that but then no one spent a bajillion dollars programming me to be an internet music robot so what do I know.

In that case, probably Shake It Off (Taylor’s Version).

Planet of the Bass

(Kinda cheating because it’s a 2023 remix of an earlier song.)

Is that some kind of parody song? It’s giving major Lonely Island vibes

Crossing Guard by Model/Actriz

Knower
“I’m The President”

I was introduced to Olivia Rodrigo by a group of young ladies on a hen party wine tour, and I really liked Bad Idea.

Or this, from the same album:

“Only Love Can Save Us Now” from Kesha’s Gag Order album

I guess it would be mostly redundant to start a general “best music of 2023” thread at this point, so I’ll pick one best song and tack on the rest of a Top 10 in no particular order.

Mitski - Bug Like an Angel
The Beaches - Blame Brett
The Maine - Thoughts I Have While Lying in Bed
Chromeo - Personal Effects
Tiny Habits - Small Enough
Morgan Wade - Psycopath
Chappell Roan - Red Wine Supernova
Margo Cilker - Keep It On a Burner
Paramore - You First (Remi Wolf remix)

Miley Cyrus - Flowers. I can’t post the youtube link, says you can’t embed media.