Shop class no no’s Shorts, long hair and giant prosthetic boobs?

In post 132 on September 19th @RickJay said that he checked with a friend and stated that the story, “[A]ppears so far to be genuine.”

It wasn’t until post 650 on October 9th that he finally, obliquely, revealed that the story the friend was asked to verify was the Daily Mail article that was linked in the OP and not one of the many other stories related to this that were spreading across the internet at the time.

I guess you missed post 137:

I can’t even imagine the point you are trying to make.

He said the story, “[A]ppears so far to be genuine,” in post 132.

He said some other stuff in post 137 and a slew of other posts.

He did not indicate that his source laid eyes on the Daily Mail article linked in the OP and not one of the many other stories related to this that were spreading across the internet at the time until post 650.

…you may have missed that “pictures are genuine” didn’t actually mean that the photos that have been posted and shared in the media were confirmed to be genuine, just that “the pictures and video are authentically of a teacher at Oakville Trafalgar High School, who identifies as a woman.”

They may have been altered, especially as the video (that I’ve seen) and the photos (that I’ve seen) have the teacher wearing the same outfit, but parts of her anatomy are exaggerated in the photos, but not in the video. Rickjay has clarified that his friend has not seen the originals.

Meanwhile, in the war against transgender people:

That’s probably because you’ve got your head up your ass for this thread. And let’s face it, you’re not that bright at the best of times.

The story is accurate in its fundamentals. The photos were taken at the school, the subject is a teacher there who has evidently recently transitioned, and she was actually wearing the prosthetics.

I haven’t seen any claims in this thread that the photos are definitely accurate, in context, and undoctored. I haven’t seen any support from RickJay for the more imbecilic claims made in Daily Mail and other tabloids. You can’t demand, demand, demand that someone provide you with evidence for claims they never made.

The only actual “evidence” presented has been “because I said so”. By an out transphobe.

He lied every time he misgendered a trans person. Thankfully, he’s not allowed to do that anymore.

He claimed to have had a conversation with someone who had first hand knowledge of the people and events at the heart of this thread. He was being asked to provide more details of that conversation.

He could have provided those details or he could have said that he did not wish to provide those details. Instead he chose pretend like he had provided those details while actually deflecting.

He responded to requests for clarification by, “Saying the same thing, over and over.” That’s an asshole way to respond.

e.g,
He said, “The pictures are real.”
He was asked, “Which specific pictures do you mean?”
And he responded directly to that question while quoiting it with, “The pictures are real.”

That’s not a good faith effort to advance the conversation.

Or maybe you’re just nitpicking. That’s another asshole way to kill a conversation.

You might have a point if it was just me, but it is several posters including two other moderators who have expressed frustration with @RickJay 's behavior in this thread.

…LOL.

This thread has been going for weeks. It has almost three times as many posts as the Republican War on transgender people omnibus thread. What conversation were you hoping for?

If you want a polite discussion about “Where exactly do you draw the line?” or “What if I identify as black, but I’m not?” then go open a thread in one of the polite forums. But this thread is apparently about a few seconds of video, a handful of (probably) doctored photos, and nothing much else really. Killing this conversation would be a kindness.

Let us be very clear - this story got passed through Right Wing circles (Tucker Carlson to blogs to transphobes everywhere sharing it, such as @chela has here) exclusively because it presents a scary looking person presenting grotesquely enabled by the school, consistent with the story line that the war on transgender individuals requires. See the various items that @Banquet_Bear has shared to refresh your memory that the attack on them and their right to exist is ongoing. When a story like that presents one would have to a fool or a transphobe (not that the two are mutually exclusive) to not to be more than a bit suspicious that it is either a hoax or selectively taken out of a more complete context.

A poster (anonymous to me) with a history of misgendering, who states that he sees nothing extraordinary about the claims of the story at all, then reports a conversation (be it spoken or text or email) with an unnamed source: “the story is real”, is a shop teacher, seem to be real photographs, has “recently transitioned” (being clear in another post that “transition” means what you say your gender is, (even if just that day) and apparently did not even ask what the rest of the story is??? Again, a mentally/healthy individual cis-woman, trans-woman, male … does not come to non-sex-work presenting like that as an honest expression of their gender.

Yeah, I do not accept that as truth. There is more to the story and @RickJay’s apparently not having asked for anything more? (Or sharing that he did and was pushed off, just claims that that is all I know.) It smells very off, even without a past history of misgendering, and the transphobia evidenced by his stating this is not an extraordinary claim at all.

I do believe that this is a real shop teacher who dressed that way and highly likely that the photographs are real. And that the school won’t say more due to privacy policies. Beyond that? Is this a person who “recently transitioned” as in for the day or week as a protest/exercise in trollery? Or person with serious mental health issues? I don’t know.

I do know whatever the truth is, this being pushed out there and passed around with no curiosity of further context, is an exercise of the anti-transgender war propaganda arm. It should not be ignored any more than describing immigrants as rapists and murders with a few good ones should be (avoiding a more Godwinesque example). Yes one can find examples of immigrants who have been rapists. Making effort to highlight them and to pass them around, even though they are less common than rapists among home grown whites, is still propaganda.

Fair enough.

A good explanation for your view. Thanks for sharing it.

I am more concerned by the hair. I had a friend who had long hair in the 70’s. He worked in a machine shop and his hair got caught in a drill press. It was not pretty. He had brain damage and was never the same again.

Ah this is an important bit of information.
Because for me personally, I did find the appearance of the teacher unacceptable, and it’s neither a safety nor transgender thing – if an assigned female at birth was teaching geography with comically big prosthetic breasts and no bra I would feel exactly the same way.

I was pretty sure that the teacher likely had mental health issues and that the school should put her on paid leave, with therapy.

However, if the pictures had been digitally exaggerated, that explains a lot. I should remember the golden rule: Daily Mail outrages are pretty much always lies or exaggerations.

That’s a big jump considering we don’t even know if this is their normal attire or they were dressing like this for some specific reason and they otherwise dress/present like any other teacher at the school.

Well I mean obviously if that’s the case.
If it were the case that any teacher, male or female were routinely dressing like that then, yes, I’d suspect mental health issues.

I knew a guy in the 70’s with long hair. Got it caught in a drill press. Slammed his head on the plate, ripped out his hair and suffered major brain damage. Not a good thing.

My guess is that a wig would fly loose from your body, rather than yank you down with dangerous force. But yeah, long hair should be tied back and out of the way in a shop.

In my shop classes years ago, one of the guys had very long hair–about down to mid-back. In classes such as Geography and French, it was always free, as it presented no problem. But he was aware of safety, and always tied his hair back in shop class. Indeed, he’d often tuck the resulting ponytail inside the back of his shirt, if he was operating a lathe or a drill press or another piece of machinery where long hair could endanger his safety.