Short term contract pay premium

I was recently contacted by a headhunter about a position. It’s a short term contract of 45-60 days. I have a well-paying full time job. Taking the job for the same pay would be foolish. Is there some sort of standard premium for contract jobs?

Specifically this is an engineering job in Afghanistan.

If anyone has done something like this is there anything I should know while negotiating or pitfalls to avoid?

Forget about the premium. Unless your current job is in Syria, you need to add on money for hardship duty. The military does that.
I have no idea if there is a standard premium, but when I have hired long term contractors we paid more than standard rates for employees. You need to cover your benefits also, and time needed to find the next gig.

Yes, I would add money for hardship duty. I’d ask for my current salaryWXYZ.

I have coworkers that have gone abroad for short stints at my current company. They made about double their base salary, but they knew they had a job to come back to.

As a short-term contractor, expect 2x the pay of a perm. employee. Minimum.
Yes, the employees may have resentment, but thier boss needs the work done NOW.

I would not consider setting foot in a Muslim country - cultural differences would drive me insane.

For work in Arabia (proper name name), the rate was typically 4-5x perm rates.

Is someone hiring you as a W-2 or just a 1099? There is a 40-50% premium for 1099 - no unemplyment or Social Security being paid, for one, but the biggie is you are paid from A/R, same as any other supplier NOT from payroll (which is legally required to be on time*).

• most places in US (and USA, too)

The permanent employees were making something like $100/hr. Contract employees in Saudi Arabia make ~$500/hr?

They should - if anybody gets a hair up their ass, the 1099 is screwed. And being alone in Arabia is not what I’d consider fun.
As to what a 3 month contract in Hell on Earth will actually pay, don’t know.
$500/hour might make the place and circumstances acceptable.

As to being a 1099.
2 instances:

1. fellow left his W2 position in (at the time) stable shop for a direct contract (1099). After getting loans from everyone he could hit up, he ended up standing over the A/P as he cut a check for 6 month’s work.
  2. I was a W2 for a consulting company - they were the ones waiting for a check from A/P. It never came. The company went under (by this time, my employer had pulled the last of its employees from the shop). I heard that they had settled for some kind of equity position.

Peter R. Johnson really should have had a better Sales Manager - the company failed because a sales rep had promised a couple of million dollar’s worth of software changes and charged $22.50 for it. Hiring the cheapest workers was NOT the solution - when your firm is looking at disaster, you need the product to work the first time.