Should I see Tron, before I see Tron?

The enduring appeal of Tron: The legacy of 'Tron' - CNN.com

I’m one of those who hadn’t seen Tron since it came out, and saw the new one last night.
While I did miss some easter eggs that I caught up with after the fact <I tend to read reviews and such AFTER I see a film>, I didn’t feel I’d missed anything at all, and was kinda glad I hadn’t seen the original again first, if only because then I wasn’t trying to tie up loose ends. If there were any; I didn’t have any real questions during the film itself, but I don’t remember much of the original anyway, and have just retained the geeky coolness of the general idea of Tron, without much detail. I enjoyed the film based just on that.

Had to add: I did download the original Tron, and although I’ve only watched about 20 minutes so far, I’m enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, probably BECAUSE I saw the other one; I am seeing all kinds of inside jokes/parallels now. :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought about doing that, seeing the new one first.

I think at this point I would recommend it. I didn’t miss anything out of the new movie, that I can tell, except for cameos and references that don’t affect the movie itself at all. Just read a wiki on the original, if you don’t have any idea at ALL wth Tron was about, or some of the reviews and comments here.

Thinking about it more, I think the references to the old film will be lost on anyone who isn’t already intimately familiar with the original. I mean, the name “Dumont” probably won’t trigger a knowing grin even if you just watched the original 24 hours earlier, unless you know it back-to-font anyway.