Should I stay with it or quit?

OK, every single day in basketball practice, I come in and bust my arse. I’m not exaggerating, I swear to you that I put forth more of an effort than some of these guys have ever dreamed of. Call it your classic Rudy story if you will. I don’t get much playing time at all. I’ll come off the bench a few times every game just to give someone a breather. It’s not very gratifying, even if the whole team plays a great game. It just feels like I don’t belong. I know my coach wants me to stick with it, because he’s usually the one encouraging me if things are pretty rough.

Our entire team consists of juniors, not a single senior. So unless I undergo an enormous growth spurt this off-season, it looks like I’m in for another disappointment next year. However, the team has the chance to be great next year. Not just good, I’m talkin a 19-1 or 20-0 season here. I know I’ll be kickin myself if I leave and don’t get to be a part of it, but I’m not sure if I can survive another year of hard work with little to show for it. So what should I do, stay or quit?

What’s more important to you? Sticking with it knowing you gave it your all regardless of actual floor time? Or quitting IN CASE you don’t get the floor time? How do you know that you don’t inspire some of your teammates? You obviously love the sport.

I say stick with it and you will have a great story for your kids one day regardless of how it turns out.

Good luck, hun’.

My opinion is stick with it man. If you love the sport enough to practice as hard as you say you do then there is not question that you should stick with it. Sure you may not get lots of playing time but is that all there is to it? What about just playing the game? I tell you I’d kill to have my knee good again just so I could play baseball one more time, but I digress. Stay with it man maybe they’ll see what kinda talent you are and they know that they underestimated you.

I’d have to agree with silly rabbit. It may be hard work, and you may not think you’re really achieving anything, but as long as you keep on practicing and showing that you want to be out there, no one’s going to think badly of you. In fact I bet they’d look up to you. If your only reason for quitting is that you aren’t good enough, you should do one of two things 1. Find a better reason to quit or 2. Stick with it. Even if you never get as much playing time as other players, at least you will always know that you tried your hardest and didn’t give up. Best of luck

When in doubt, stick it out.

How old are you, DonQuixote? Is this high school or college ball? If it’s high school, a growth spurt isn’t out of the question. And sheer altitude isn’t the only measure of a player.

How well do you do when you do get on-court? Do you think you’d be able to make an impact if you had more time? If so, make a case to your coach.

I understand that you’re not getting much out of your effort, but maybe those around you are. I had a damned frustrating time wrestling in college (wrestled in the heaveyweight division, where I was constantly injured and was usually outweighed by 50 pounds and sometimes as much as 175). I found out later that even the best wrestlers on the team were impressed and encouraged by my heart and effort. Maybe your teammates value your presence in the same way.

If you quit now and the team does shine, you might torment yourself with the whatifs. But if you stick it out and the team does well, you’ll have something to show for it, even if it’s not in the form of playing time or points. It’ll just be something you’ll carry within yourself, and it will show in subtle ways.

Take the wisdom(insert reching smilie here)of someone who has quit. DO NOT QUIT.When you look back on this time of your life, you will be bitter if you had quit. Stick it out. MTS

Junior in high school. The comment I made about the growth spurt…just my sarcasm leaking out. I’m always out there for little spurts, not much time to make much of a difference. Coaches know I work hard, that’s why I think they haven’t demoted me to JV yet. Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will stick with it. But that’s not quite as easy as it sounds…

Darn straight it’s not as easy as it sounds. But I got a little clue for you. Things are just gonna keep getting harder and harder for you as you get older and older. Take it from me I’m just a freshman and college and I’m already longing for those care free high school days of doing jack shit and keeping a good GPA. Now I bust my arse and barely pull a B- GPA. It’s tough as shit. I think it’d be good experience for you. The harder you work the better it is when you get something you want.

I was taking the remark quite seriously. One of my closest buddies in high school stood 5’8" by our senior year. I ran into him three years later and he was 6’7". (BTW, he ended up in baseball’s major leagues.)

My opinion? Jeep jousting. :rolleyes:

My opinion? Stick with it.

It’s funny because this is one of the very few regrets I have from my high school years and it’s almost exactly what you’re describing. I managed to make the Jr. High team one year, didn’t play much, and didn’t bother to even try out the next year. Now this was a very small school, and I know that if I’d really worked at it I could have been good enough to make the team every year. I’d probably never have started, but I’d have made the team.

And basketball was a big deal at this school (I don’t know about yours). None of the schools in the area had football teams because they were too small, so basketball was IT. Until I was about 12 years old I thought schools that had homecoming football games instead of homecoming basketball games did it that way because they had crummy basketball teams.

Here’s the kicker. During high school the team went 20-0 in back to back seasons. I could have been part of that. That’s a rare thing even at the high school level - don’t pass up an opportunity like this when it comes along!

Stay with it. Guys on varsity teams always get more ass than guys who aren’t! What other incentive could you need?

My mother always told me that she rarely regretted anything she had done in her life. The things she regretted most were things she hadn’t done. Tough it out. You’ll be glad you did.

I would say as long as your having fun keep doing it. In high school I was on a team and though I did not contribute much I still had fun. My senior year my team went to state regionals and it was great to be on a winning team, even though I did not contribute to the victories like others did I think I enjoyed our victories as much as anyone on the team.

Because of that comment, Stella, I’m gonna start a foundation to help the needy. For every game we win this season, I’ll donate a piece of ass to a poor, deprived boy who doesn’t participate in any organized sports here at my high school. Now I have some great incentive to play, eh? Maybe this can go on my application for NHS next year.

Hey, I didn’t say that it was cool, or fair, or that I personally gave more ass to varsity athletes. (For the record, I was a virgin when I went to college, but my oral talents were received strictly by drama freaks & debate team geeks.):wink:
I’d offer to donate to your foundation, but I think that’d be illegal, unless the non-athletes were above the age of consent.

Maybe you need to ask yourself what the real value of playing is for you. Right now, it sounds as if the only measure, in your mind, of what it means to you is how much time you spend on the court during games. If that’s to remain the measure, you might as well quit; there’s never any guarantee that there won’t be five, or even six or seven or ten, guys on the team next year who’re better suited to being on the court during games, or who better fit into the plans the coaches have. Nothing you do can ensure that won’t be the case. But if you can find other ways of measuring the value of remaining on the team and continuing to put forth the effort you do, perhaps you’ll conclude that you are getting back as much as or more than you’re putting in. I can’t tell you what that might be for you; I have my ideas, but they’re more to do with what I value and appreciate about myself and others than with you.

I can say that the sports coaches and managers I most admire and (more to the point in my case) the business leaders I respect share one characteristic: they focus on what the people they have under them can do and structure their teams and plans in ways that make the most effective use of that, rather than dwelling on what the people they have to work with can’t do. Casey Stengel and Whitey Herzog were probably the textbook cases of this in baseball (sorry, my basketball knowledge is very limited). If they had a player on their roster, you can bet they could tell you exactly what that player was good at and why and under what circumstances they expected to use them; you can also be sure that they knew how they wouldn’t use them. They put players of limited skills, or who were lacking in one dimension or the other, into situations where what they could do was important. It’s the same thing as a manager in business; I have a group of people working for me of varying skills, intelligence, experience, and temperaments. I don’t (and neither do most managers) have the luxury of having only superstar performers who have uniformly broad and deep skills and experiences. I try to fill out the team with the most intelligent, experienced, capable people I can find, but some are better than others. All of them, however, are able to contribute to the success of overall effort, albeit in different ways. Much of the art of managing is learning what your people are good at, what they’re not, and focusing on how to make the best use of the talents and qualities they exhibit.

I know that having a serious, frank, heart-to-heart talk with a high school coach can be a tricky proposition, and you know the personalities you’re dealing with far better than I, but you might try talking to the coach and finding out what he considers your strengths and weaknesses to be and how that factors into his plans to use you. At worst, it might be misunderstood as carping about your limited playing time. But at best, it might lead you to a better understanding of the value you provide to the team as a whole and make it possible for you to measure yourself against a more accurate yardstick than mere time spent on the court; understanding the value others place on your contributions might give you a better sense of why you do belong and make your final year a much more enjoyable and rewarding experience, even if your court time doesn’t change.