Should I talk to my neighbor?

We have a car port, open on the sides, not a garage. The car port’s right side abuts the neighbor’s yard. When the neighbor mows his lawn, he gets grass clippings all over the sides of our cars.

Should I just ignore it, or ask him if he would mind wiping down our cars when he’s done?

Ignore it and wipe down your own cars. If it really bothers you, consider putting a side on the carport to keep the grass out.

Just ask if he could turn the mower in the other direction when he does that bit.

+1 to this.

Wait till he has a picnic in his yard, then sit in your car with the engine running and let the noise and fumes waft over into his yard. He’ll get the idea.

Yeah, this. If you think that’d be too confrontational, wipe down the car while he’s still mowing. That gives him the opportunity to go :smack: “Sorry, I wasn’t thinking!”

I couldn’t ignore that. I’d go over and introduce myself with a friendly hello, pleasantries then get to the jist of it. Ask him; if he wouldn’t mine turning the lawnmower the other way near the vehicles. Or use a bag.

If he gets crazy about it, back down. At least you’ll know what your dealing with.

Our neighbor would plow the snow from his driveway onto our yard. So I put up a six foot tall stockade fence. Problem solved. Fences make good neighbors, somebody once said.

They really do. Moats, even better. :slight_smile:

I’d probably put up some kind of screen on that side of the carport - I always know where my grass is going when I mow. He’s either pretty clueless, or he doesn’t care about grass on your car.

You should talk to your neighbor. “Hey, can you give us a heads up when you’re going to mow so we can move our cars out of the way of the grass that comes off your mower? It would save us wiping it off them each time.”

If you are asking that means that you likely do not have a good relationship with your neighbor or you don’t know him/them.

Unless it is something serious, I would buy or make some cookies and take them over for a brief chat. If you aren’t getting along, mend fences. If you don’t know them, introduce yourself. Either way, you’ll let him know that another human being lives next door and most people don’t want to offend people who they know.

If the guy is an a*s then he’ll continue to get clippings on your vehicles. If he feels that he “knows” you, he’ll become more conscientious unless he’s anti-social anyways. Life is too short and you might need his help (or he may needs yours) one day.

I would be more concerned that his mower will throw a rock at the cars one day. I suggest you talk to him about it and ask him to mow in the other direction as someone else suggested. If that doesn’t work, put up a fence.

Wipe it down in front of him. Then, when he’s done, volunteer to mow that patch of grass so that you can protect your car.

I’d have to draw the line here. I’ll do whatever’s necessary to avoid blowing snow onto my neighbor’s house, but his yard? I don’t think the snow on my driveway is any different than what’s already on his lawn, and I shouldn’t be expected to blow the snow only onto my property. I don’t think anyone on my street avoids their neighbor’s yard, just his house. It’s different with grass clippings or leaves, because those are things to be removed. Not like snow, which just melts.

I remember when I was a kid, the next-door neighbor complained that the wind was blowing “our” snow onto his property.

He would plow giant piles of snow, many feet deep onto our yard- 1. where the dog poops and likes flat surfaces, and 2. onto our garden which would take an extra month to melt thus messing with our planting time.

A snow blower can lightly spread snow out over a large area, a snow plow just concentrates snow in a huge, dense pile. If he snow blowed into our yard, I would be fine with it. But a pile of snow from a plow is huge and takes forever to melt. There is a difference.

“Good fences make good neighbors” is what the Yankee farmer tells the poet in Robert Frost’s Mending Wall. The poet keeps his mouth shut but thinks “something there is that doesn’t love a wall.” The old farmer is just repeating a phrase he once heard from his father & probably repeats it every spring when he rebuilds the rock wall…again. Most people who repeat the phrase don’t get the poem at all.

The OP just ought to speak to his neighbor, human being to human being.

What’s not to get? It’s not a complicated poem.
Regardless, the proverb existed long before the poem did. I’d venture to say that when people are quoting it, they couldn’t tell you it was also a line in a Robert Frost poem.

Your own link says ‘The neighbor resorts to an old adage: “Good fences make good neighbors,” a line listed by the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations as a mid 17th century proverb.’ Yep, Frost didn’t think the proverb is always true. Doesn’t mean it isn’t, or that we have to accept his poem as meaning anything.

I shovel our driveway, our neighbor uses his snowblower on his. Now he is awesome but if he was blowing his driveways snow onto our currently 5’ high snowbank thus making me have to throw our snow even higher I would consider myself quite right to be annoyed.

You should take a dump on his car.